Tired of Sutler Row pocket knives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired of Sutler Row pocket knives?

Haphazardly jackjawing with Rocky Kilpatrick last week, I mentioned that my pocket knife I generally take to events, frankly sucked. He offered to make me one for what I deemed a fair price, so i rolled the dice and said "Go ahead". I got the knife less than a week later and thought I would pass along my impressions. A flashy or fancy piece this is not, what it is however, is a solidly built, light weight, good edged, enlistedmans tool for a fair price.

If you lack a good little simple folder, you've got a new option.

JER
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Re: Tired of Sutler Row pocket knives?

Can you share a couple of pictures? I have a folding knife dilemma as well. My side knife is hand made and there is nothing better than hand made items. Thanks for the tidbit.
    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

How does it hold an edge?
      Andrew Grim
      The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
      x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
      Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
      Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

Since I rcd. not 48 hours ago, and have had no occasion to use it, much less use it enough to know how it holds. I will say that it strikes me as a good steel, and comes with a good edge.
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

I can say I have two of these. They are made from 19th century band saw blades this fella collects here and there. They hold an edge, and sharpen easily.

I don't have a pic of mine, but what I like is the weight. The handle is made from lightweight woods, and the metal is so light is weighs nothing.

You won't cut down a tree with it, but whittling, cutting up meat, cutting thread, eating an apple...it works well!
          Galen Wagner
          Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

I appreciate the compliments, gents... There are a variety of blades available, including d-guard bowies. All handmade and hand forged, guaranteed sharp.
            Kindest regards,

Robert "Rocky" Kilpatrick
            Prattville Lodge #89 F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
              I appreciate the compliments, gents... There are a variety of blades available, including d-guard bowies. All handmade and hand forged, guaranteed sharp.
              would love to see some photos of your knives Rocky. :)
              [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
              ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Ditto what Pete said! I got a GREAT folding knife in a box from home at the Fort Granger Federal Living History in '06, but unfortunately lost that recently. The sutler row type knives just arn't cutting it. Looking for something that can hold an edge well.
                Dan Chmelar
                Semper Fi
                -ONV
                -WIG
                -CIR!

Comment

I would love to see the knife as well.
                  Nathan Dodds

Comment

Here is a link tot he knives. I own the two pictured (as they were the only two he had when i bought mine,) and they are swell!

http://rossroadmercantile.com/KnivesandOtherWares.aspx
                    Galen Wagner
                    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Does anyone know of another good source for a "non-sutler row" pocket knife? Mr. Kilpatrick's web site says he isn't taking any orders at this time and I am in the market for a good knife. Thanks in advance.
                      Respectfully,
                      Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

Jon, talk with Dan Wambaugh of Wambaugh White and Co. They have some very excellent pocket knives at a great price. There are options to the blade numbers and handle materials I believe. Hope this helps.
                        [SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"]~Phillip McClure~[/COLOR][/SIZE]
                        [SIZE="2"]WIG/GVB[/SIZE]
                        [SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkRed"] Battle Of Resaca, Ga; May 20-22
                        150th 1st Mannassas; July 21-24
                        Pickett's Mill Candle Light Tour; November 4-5[/COLOR][/SIZE]

"Our youth will learn from Northern school books their version of the war; will be impressed by influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors, and maimed veterans as fit objects for derision...."

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]-- Patrick R. Cleburne, Major General[/COLOR]

[IMG]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:8Vqp4X7fCVIuNM:http://www.iowaflags.org/gallery/assets/conf_45th_alabama.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Thanks for all the help. Wambaugh did sell some knives, but he no longer has any in stock. Jan Berger offers some variants as well.
                          Respectfully,
                          Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

Working...
                          X