Duvall Leatherworks and Paul Muller!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duvall Leatherworks and Paul Muller!

I just want to put a thanks out to Nick Duvall for the great English girth, overgirth and stirrup straps that he made me for my period English saddle. Obviously not something Nick has regularily advertised in his catalog but Nick was great about taking on the project!

I also want to thank Paul Muller and endorse his blacksmithing skills! If you need any handforged items he's your man. I had him make me a pair of handforged stirrups for this saddle and they are great!
    Attached Files
    Dan Chmelar
    Semper Fi
    -ONV
    -WIG
    -CIR!

Re: Duvall Leatherworks and Paul Muller!

Very cool! I like the colored webbing, not something you see everyday (though we should see more with civilian stuff, I guess). Am I correct in assuming that an overgirth is anothe name for a surcingle?
    Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

Yup, just a civilian term for a surcingle.
      Dan Chmelar
      Semper Fi
      -ONV
      -WIG
      -CIR!

Comment

Dan,
        Sure don't want to steal your thread and I agree and can attest to the fine workmanship done by both of those gentlemen, but I do want to ask if that english saddle was one of your recent ebay finds? If so (or even if not) did you have to do any structural work on the tree or the stirrup hooks or was it pretty sound when you got it?

thx,
        Mark
        J. Mark Choate
        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Dan,
          That is a good looking saddle. All the talk we have had recently on the forum about finding period civilian saddles and it looks like you came up with a nice one. Will you be riding that at Manassas? Where did you come across that one?

Wow, Mark and I must have it the reply button at the same time. His was not there when I asked the same question. Too funny.
          Rob Bruno
          1st MD Cav
          http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Yup, I plan on riding that at Manassas. Gonna take A LOT of saddle time to get used to that English seat! There is not much security in that seat compared to a Mac. Yup, that is one I got off Ebay for $80. It is stamped "R.S. Swaggerty. Manufactured in Nashville, TN". I did some searching and there is a Swaggerty in an 1840s census who lists their occupation as saddle tree maker. I would go to guess it is a relative of whoever manufactured this saddle. The saddle tree and stirrup hooks are both in very good condition. The leather covering the padding underneith is a little thin on one side in a few places, but other than that the entire saddle is in great shape. I did add attachment points on the rear for me to attach a bedroll, but there is still no rings or anything on the front.
            All in all I think I have about $250 invested in that saddle
            Paddy Mac actually was the one to tip me off to this saddle on Ebay!

Dan
            Dan Chmelar
            Semper Fi
            -ONV
            -WIG
            -CIR!

Comment

Wow Dan. 250 for the entire investment? You did a great job. So it is possible to be authentic and not break the bank! Good example for others.
              Rob Bruno
              1st MD Cav
              http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

$250? I'd say you did pretty good! What did you use for the loops on the back? I had the same problem with mine, I ended up tacking in leather loops on the back to hold the tie-strings on.
                Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

I fashioned two metal footman's loops that I drove into the rear of the cantle.

Rob, Your right, it is very possible to be authentic, have great stuff and not break the bank. Larry Morgan told me about a Kilgore style saddle on Ebay that ended yesterday that went for $80. Said it was in great condition.

I'll keep track of how many times I get thrown off that "postage stamp" of a saddle!! lol ;)
                  Dan Chmelar
                  Semper Fi
                  -ONV
                  -WIG
                  -CIR!

Comment

Good points by all of you. I saw a recent post (and I know you saw it, too, Dan) on another site that said something to the effect that all cavalrymen had to make over $100,000/year in order to do the mounted side of this hobby properly (of course, they were also trying to defend women in the ranks in their argument, as well). You are correct that a little smart-shopping can prove that wrong. I have found that out with spurs, too lately.

All that being said, finding one with that info marked on it about the manufacturer is a real monster find!! I think since it came from Nashville that, being a true gentleman, you should offer to sell it to me!! :wink_smil

Put some velcro in the seat for the 1st Manassas event. I have an original Muley that I am bringing and it is really slick-seated too but has a bit more pommel and cantle than your english.

thanks for info and again, I did not mean to take the emphasis away from the fine work of Nick and Paul.

Mark
                    J. Mark Choate
                    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Took it out for a long ride after school today. It really wasn't that bad as far as staying in the seat goes. For some reason I felt like the English seat naturally made me be more aware of my posture. Maybe it was because it is more work to stay in the seat!! lol
                      Dan Chmelar
                      Semper Fi
                      -ONV
                      -WIG
                      -CIR!

Comment

Exactly right, Dan.

The more you lessen the supports of the saddle, then the more it forces you to be aware of not only your posture, but I will bet nickels to donuts that you felt deeper in the seat and in closer contact to the movement of the horse, too.

After you wear off the "new" from that saddle, if you want to take it a step further, then kick your feet out of the stirrups and ride without them. After a while of that, go through the gate changes, walk, trot, canter, etc. and notice how conscious that you are of your posture and seat then!

Mark
                        J. Mark Choate
                        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Rode that English again today. I'm really starting to like that saddle. I also really like the stirrups. I've mostly just ridden wooden stirrups that have a pretty wide tread. I really like the handforged stirrups better!
                          Dan Chmelar
                          Semper Fi
                          -ONV
                          -WIG
                          -CIR!

Comment

Working...
                          X