Authentic Ramrods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic Ramrods

So, I've discovered that most ramrods that are sold with a musket are case hardended. Is there any place on earth that sells ramrods that are not case hardended and are just one, solid metal rod? If it matters much, it would have to fit a euroarms '61 springfield.
    Jory Maloney

Re: Authentic Ramrods

These guys MAY have what your looking for, not sure though. I remember, faintly, a discussion about rods with him.

Hope this helps,
    Andrew Schultz

Possum Skinners Mess

Buzzards Mess

Comment

Jory;

I don't think you understand what case hardening is. The process would make the ramrod very hard but brittle, which is exactly opposite of what you would want. As far as I know no one does this. If you mean they are two piece rods, which is what the Italians do, well that's something different. As for a one piece ramrod, I'm quite pleased with mine from Lodgewood. I have an Armi Sport, but I don't think that matters.

Tim Surprenant
      Tim Surprenant

Comment

Shiloh Relics should be your first stop.
        Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Tim, my musket is an Italian Euroarm. I knew they were 2 piece, but I also thought that they were case hardened as well. Mess up on my part, thank you for the info though!
          Jory Maloney

Comment

Hallo!

Correct. Case hardening is a metal surface hardening process commonly seen on Period arms, frames, lockplates, and hammers. (in brief and to over generalize, it imparts carbon into the surface of the steel). Its brother is color case hardening which does the same but allows a color change to make visually pleasing color patterns on the surface of the steel.)

The problem with Italin two piece ramrods is that they are just sleeve joined and brazed, and not pinned in any way. As a result, they tend to bend... and then snap at the "weld" joint. Especially when stacking and unstackng arms.
            No one makes a pinned version, so the next best thing is to go with a lathe-turned "one piece" version.

Plus the Italian repro Enfields benefit from a replacement ramrod closer to originals with a diameter smaller than the oversized repro's.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Dear Friends,

I had one of the 2 piece repops come apart as Herr Schmidt describes. I took it to Robert Hoyt and he machined a new tip, fitted it to the remains of the original ramrod. The repair is only observable under close scrutiny and he charged a measly $20 for the entire job, machining the new tip and all. He also make complete replacement ramrods but I do not know what he charges for them.

He contact info is in this earlier post: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...arrels-Repairs

Hope this helps.

John

John Novicki
              Co. C, 2nd U.S.S.S.

Comment

All,

I just picked up a very nice M-1816 rod from Track of the Wolf (www.trackofthewolf.com) for thirty bucks. They don't carry any for the .58s, but for any of you with a '16, Charleville , or Bess theirs is a much better ramrod than Pedersoli's at a good price.

Jim Ball
                [B]Jim Ball[/B]
                Chesapeake Rifles

Comment

Working...
                X