Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Feelings

Folks,

I resisted doing this for a few weeks, but now I feel slightly compelled to say something. I was hesitant to do so, for a number of reasons, one of them being the love that people here on the AC, the other being that some of the issues involved are my own problem.

For years I had heard all about the quality of the shoes made by a well known vendor in Canada, and had read many posts here that illustrated a preference towards Land versus some of his competitors. In fact, many of my Pards wear his shoes. So, when it came time to get a new pair of shoes, I naturally turned to this vendor.

I have been getting by on a well worn out and now decrepit pair of brogans. I was/am eager to finally get a pair of decent boots. There was another reason. I'm 31 years old, but I have been working since I was 13. Years of being on my feet on set have already taken their toll. I need a pair of well made shoes. As a father, and as a television producer who does not get to enjoy this hobby more than 2 or 3 times a year, my time is limited. I owe myself a decent set of footwear.

So, in Mid-April I ordered a pair of Land's workman's boots, those that resemble the Lapham shoes from "EoG". Things got off to an awkward start almost immediately. It took 3 or 4 attempts to place my order using Mr. Land's website. Maybe I'm dimwitted or something, but I use numerous other self pay websites and have never had the frustration that I had with that website. I was finally able to get my order in by third week of April.

I will say that Mr. Land was prompt with email correspondence, something that may be of help to some of you who have lately expressed trouble getting him on the phone.

My shoes arrived in June, which I feel was a very reasonable turnaround. That night when I opened my box and pulled out my shoes, I was a little disappointed. Instead of the brass tipped laces that were advertised (and still are for this item as I write this), my shoes came with a pair of modern cotton laces with the plastic tips you might find on a pair of sneakers or a low end pair of modern dress shoes. These are not laces that I would take to an event.

When I asked Mr. Land about this via email, he informed me that he no longer offers these boots with those laces and that if I didn't like that I could cut the plastic tips off myself. End of discussion.
    I spent about a week trying to figure out where I could get a decent pair of laces for these boots and finally turned to MB&S. Long story short, I expect a pair of laces to arrive any day now. A lot of people told me, well just go on down to your local drug store and get a pair of 99 cent leather laces; well if you're familiar with the Lapham shoe, you'll know that the eyelets don't allow for this. So, the nice folks in Missouri are making them for me. Also, you will see on their website that the upper on these shoes appear to be rough out - not the case with the shoes I received.

But, they won't be here in time for this weekend's event. So, three months and $150.00 or so later (factoring the laces) I am going to have to look forward to wearing the same pair of old worn out shoes that hurt my feet for 2-days. Or not got at all, which puts my pards out. Its one of only 2 events that I will get to attend before the year is out. I'm not made of money, each purchase I make I must do so very carefully. I have a small family that I support. I also know that in the next few years I will only have so much time to enjoy a hobby that took me years to get into, afford etc. I don't have time to waste or money to simply burn.

I would not feel this way if perhaps I'd also got better customer service. I didn't like the snarky response to my query about the laces. Is the economy so great that vendors feel that customers are expendable? I did not like the "un-user friendly" nature of the website, which was made to seem my problem. Lesson learned here - I won't order from them again. Also, If you advertise something, stand by what you say and what you illustrate.

-Sam Dolan
    Samuel K. Dolan
    1st Texas Infantry
    SUVCW

Re: Mixed Feelings

Thanks for the well-articulated review, Sam.
    Tristan Galloway

Comment

Bummer on the laces...but how do you like the shoes? Laces aren't too terribly difficult to produce...somewhere I've got a leather lace cutter, and probably ought to whip up a few pairs.

Paul B.
      Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
      (Loblolly Mess)
      [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

I own a pair of Land's Jefferson Brogans, and a pair of his "enlisted boots", and fiance has a pair ladies boots (I'm not sure which ones because I'm not that educated on her stuff). All are of great quality, and his customer service has never let me down. I will say how ever when her boots came in they looked great except for the modern shoe laces that you described, she picked up a pair of the thin laces that Joe Blunt (Carter and Jasper) offers and it was no big deal. It hink the laces were $2 and they are actually pretty neat he offers them in several colors (I am not sure where he gets them from). A good friend of mine also ordered a pair of his workman boots several years back and they also came with these laces, he also swaped them out with no fuss.
        Yes he has let the laces slide by his authenticity radar, but his boots and shoes are a considerable about less then MB&S, and are of compaiable quality in many aspects. I would be willing to save $50 and spend a few dollars for diffrent laces for his product and his customer service.

I'm surprised someone commented on the shoe laces before his maker mark that is one the sole that wears away after a couple of hours of wear.
        -Brandon Hand
        48th NY Co. F
        Unit Clerk/Newsletter Editor

Comment

Unfortunate to hear the trouble you had with your order Sam. I've ordered from him before, back in the winter and it was a smooth transaction with about a 2 month turnaround and I was generally pleased. It's with certain Clothes vendors I've had the issues with, so much so that I taut myself how to sew so I don't have to waste years sending unanswered emails and making threats to take people to court to get the items I paid for up front. I feel your pain. No one in the vendor world seems to get the fact that they depend on us, not the other way around. The best customer service I've ever experienced with any civil war vendor was from Chris Sullivan at Stoneybtook Company and Wambaugh & White. I think a lot of vendors could learn a lot from Chris, Dan and Brian! I think if folks slowed down and focused on one item at a time, took pride in their name, and backed up their products all the problems would be solved. Seems like all I hear anymore is horror stories about all the hell people have to go through to get the items they paid a vendor for. Not acceptable at all. I now know who to trust and not to trust with my money and word of mouth spreads fast!
          [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
          Handsome Company Mess
          Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I would like to point out before someone gets the opinion that Robert Lands products are not of acceptable quality that the only complaint here is about shoe laces. This thread isn't about not recieving a product, or poor construction, but rather a pair of shoe laces with plastic tips.
            -Brandon Hand
            48th NY Co. F
            Unit Clerk/Newsletter Editor

Comment

I have also had problems with this vendor.

All I can say is

You get what you pay for.....It's a roll of the dice when ordering his shoes....you may get a pair that match the quality of MB&S , Tom Mattimore or another vendor with slightly higher prices....

You may not...

If you do decide to take the chance with this vendor and receive less than acceptable goods be aware you will be out the cost of shipping the shoes back, and a border transfer fee if you purchased the goods on a credit card.
              [FONT="Garamond"]Justin A. Meinert[/FONT]

Comment

I got a pair from the same vendor several years back with chrome dyed leather, a poor fit, and nailssticking up into the sole (not to mention the awful laces). Email from the vendor was great until the product was delievered, and then couldn't get a reply. Learned my lesson to stick with the guy I know for my feet's sake.
                Pat Brown

Comment

Lindsey,

I had the same experience with the product in 2000: modern motorcycle leather, heels connected with drywall screws that weren't flush with the footbed, etc. I received them a few days before Outpost 2000 and was faced with the choice to either try to wear them or not participate. After wearing them a weekend, my feet hurt pretty badly.

However, the vendor did take them back and give me a full refund, even though I had worn them--no questions asked. At the time, I was able to get ahold of him pretty easily by a phone call.

Many people have told me they were pleased with the vendor's work, which led me to believe my experience was an anomaly.

If the pictures on his website are accurate so far as construction is concerned, they do seem indicate his product seems to have improved since my purchase a decade ago--I'm sure he could not have remained in business long producing shoes like the ones I received.
                  Last edited by GenuineInformation; 07-26-2011, 09:00 PM.
                  Joe Knight

Armory Guards
                  Yocona Rip Raps
                  "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                    I would like to point out before someone gets the opinion that Robert Lands products are not of acceptable quality that the only complaint here is about shoe laces. This thread isn't about not recieving a product, or poor construction, but rather a pair of shoe laces with plastic tips.
                    I believe the thread is about purchasing an item from this particular vendor and not receiving what was advertised.

I.E. Sam bought these shoes thinking and seeing on the website that they were coming with ubber cool laces that had these sweet brass aglets on them and instead got ones with plastic aglets.

I bought shoes thinking that a blind monkey was NOT working in the shop that week, and someone would have inspected the shoes before shipping......I was wrong

Sam it's unfortunate your sweet laces did not come with your shoes....but here are some alternatives
                    Carter and Jasper, and from seeing this weekend Bill Mac should have leather laces in stock, probably cost you about ten bucks.....
                    or you can try this http://fingerloop.org/aglet.html.....making your own stuff is always fun, as well as making a pair for a friend.
                    or possibly a simple google shopping search of shoe laces with brass aglets may yield some results.
                    [FONT="Garamond"]Justin A. Meinert[/FONT]

Comment

Sam,

Quick and cheap solution to your laces or lack thereof problem...go to your local Michael's or other craft super store and go to the section where they sell items for making jewelry. There you should find round waxed cotton and leather lacing used for making necklaces. The waxed cotton at my Michael's only comes in black but the round leather comes in black and natural. Both work great for period looking shoe laces. I've never had to go anywhere else for laces since making this discovery. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer
                      Liberty Rifles
                      Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Comment

Justin & Josh,

I appreciate the good advice. MB&S is sending me a pair of laces, but in the meantime there is a Michael's nearby here and a couple of other outfits that should have what I need. Failing all of that I'll try some of Justin's links/advice. Thanks Gents! I guess in the end, due to the many positive reviews I had read and heard, I simply expected more. I guess anyone can have a bad day now and then.

-Sam Dolan
                        Samuel K. Dolan
                        1st Texas Infantry
                        SUVCW

Comment

I've been waiting for a reply from Land since February! Oh nevermind...took my business to Pat Cunningham.
                          George "Soup Bone" Weymer
                          E. Shockus Unum
                          "Remember Jerry.....It's not a lie, if you believe it"

Comment

I have 5 pair of shoes from Robert Land. I have two pair of his camp shoes and three pair of his Georgians. I also wear the Georgians as modern civilain shoes. I did receive a pair of the Georgians and after wearing them one time they wrinkled pretty bad. I e-mailed him and he apologized and mailed me another pair. He told me to keep the wrinkled ones. I have never had a customer service problems and replacing the shoes without question shocked me. He did tell me that the leather sometimes will do that. I did notice that on my latter pair that the laces had the plastic tips. So far no one has gotten down and pointed them out to me but I would have rathered have the ones with the brass tips.
                            Claude Sinclair
                            Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Waxed shoelaces with brass tips:
                              Joe Knight

Armory Guards
                              Yocona Rip Raps
                              "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Working...
                              X