Stoney Brook and Chris Sullivan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoney Brook and Chris Sullivan

I just want to provide a little feedback concerning Stony Brook and Chris Sullivan. I ordered a pair of Federal Mounted trousers from Chris back in April. He provided me with a lot of information with regards to construction of the trousers, as well as the material that he uses. He even went so far as to provide me with fabric swatches of the two different types of wool that he uses so that I can see and feel the differences between the two. After much thought, I finally went with the 100% wool fabric. When I talked to Chris he mentioned that he was already (in April) in a backlog due to the ensuing 150th anniversary events and he would try to accommodate my order date.
    Fast forward to the order date, Chris contacts me and tells me that he is so back logged and he would have a hard time meeting that date. I became a little concerned when I noticed on his website that he was no longer going to make mounted trousers. Chris assured me that since my order was already in the production cycle, I need not worry. Chris gave me another date that he was shooting for to ship my trousers out. The order date comes and still no trousers. I contact Chris and he mentions that the trousers were shipped out (via Priority Mail) and I should have received them. Chris started scouring his shop for the elusive trousers. Still no trousers. Chris starts work on another pair of trousers for me just in case and promises them to me within a week.
    I received my trousers yesterday and needless to say, I am impressed with both the craftsmanship and material that he used. My last pair of mounted trouser I bought was back in 1990 and they have lasted over the years. I am hoping the pair from Chris will last as long, if not longer. I just hope that Chris will start the mounted trousers again once the 150th events wind down.
    I cannot say enough good things about Chris. He provided me information prior to the purchase, kept me informed of the production of the trousers, and provided the follow-up when something went wrong. This was all backed up by the quality of product he provided. These days’ customer service and quality of service and goods are so few and far between. If you have a chance to order from Chris, by all means to so you will not be disappointed. A+++++++++ to Chris and Stony Brook.
    Bill Jordan

“I ended the war a horse ahead.”
    Nathan Bedford Forrest

Re: Stoney Brook and Chris Sullivan

Bill / Others,

Just to reiterate your sentiments. Being a member of the 14th Brooklyn Company E for over 15 years I have dealt with Chris on several occasions. In fact i'm on the phone with the gentleman nearly every other day to discuss new evidence, or to shoot the breeze about the 14th, the hobby etc. He used to make the tunics for the 14th brooklyn, but due to time he can only make trousers, and boy can he make a pair of trousers. The wonderful thing about Chris or "Sully" as we call him, is he offers a "Commercial Grade" for the mainstream or "light in the pocket" living historian and the Museum Grade trouser for the "Progressive" which I must say are the BEST trousers I have ever worn, and will only wear. He does the research and refuses to put out a poor product. He always says I would rather tell a guy "If I don't have the time to get you trousers, you can either wait or go to another vendor" He will always be up front about it. He would rather tell a guy to find another place than rush his trousers out and put out a bad product, but it's so rare that Sully doesn't the have time. He is a machine when it comes to trousers. He even does alterations of poorly made uniforms made by other vendors to spruce them up or make them more period correct.

Bill.. being a customer of sullivan for a LONG time I will tell you those trousers can handle abuse, and will do so for MANY years to come. My only issue (and it's a good one) is that once you get used to chris sullivan trousers you don't want to wear another vendor's trousers! Even his commercial grade trousers are some serious trousers. But if you do have an issue with the trouser, call him and he will take the trousers back, fix them up and send them back to you with an envelope containing whatever you paid for shipping. Stand Up guy and a treasure within the hobby! If he isn't on the approved vendor's list here.. then well he should be. No "Ifs" "Ands" or "Buts" about it!
    Last edited by RedLegLT; 08-04-2011, 09:14 AM. Reason: Typo Correction
    Lt. Frank J Ruiz Jr.
    14th Regt. NYSM
    E. Company
    "Red Legged Devils"
    "[U]Union Volunteer[/U]s"
    "Des Teufels Mess"

Comment

Chris recently made a pair of Dark Blue Federal Trousers for me with all the authentic "tweaks" he provides....they fit perfectly, look fantastic and very very authentic. His communication skills with customers is second to none and his deadline to ship is earlier than he promised.....what's not to like? Mike
      Michael T. Boyd
      4th Texas Infantry
      Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
      (Great Great Grandson of Thomas Howey,
      38th Illinois Volunteer Infantry 1861-1865,
      Survivor of Cahaba Prison,AL 1865)
      Company of Military Historians

Comment

Chris Recently made me a dark blue pair of Federal trousers for the Manassas 150th. His work and customer service speaks for itself. I will be ordering from him again in the near future. ~Gary
        Gary Dombrowski
        [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Ordered pants from Chris early this year, when he got the order he got in touch with me. He asked if I was aware of this normal turn around time and I did know. He wondered what was my drop dead date on the trousers and we discussed it. Clearly he seems a bit overwhelmed that so many orders were rolling in but we agreed it is a great problem to have. In the end, we agreed on a date and he got them to me a day early. My impression is of an engineering Sgt thus the yellow pant strip was important and my intention by ordering from Chris to get the final piece of the impression right--GREAT JOB Chris thank you!

PS
          Clearly he is one of nicest vendors I have ever dealt with in this hobby!
          Ernie Manzo
          Co. C, 1st USSS (NCWA)

Comment

Every pair of pants Garrett and I own were made by Chris.
            Galen Wagner
            Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

I will go ahead and echo what others are saying. My wife is terrified of ordering ANYTHING for me because she doesnt want to get the wrong thing. Chris put her completely at ease and she mentioned that she wishes she could just order everything from him and not have to deal with anybody else :P. And I own a pair of federal trousers from Chris that I bought from Skilletlicker years ago and they are still in great condition. The crotch is finally starting to show through but that is it! Great stuff!
              Capt. Kris Larson 32°
              Wasatch Lodge #1 F&AM Utah
              Worshipful Master, Uintah Lodge #7 F&AM Utah
              Camp Floyd Historic Lodge #205 F&AM Utah
              Rocky Mountain #11 F&AM Utah
              El Kalah Shrine

Co I 4th Texas
              Iron Rooster Mess
              [I][SIZE="1"]"Nothin's harder than a metal cock!"[/SIZE][/I]

Comment

I ordered a pair of dark brown museum grade cilivian trousers Chris about 3 years ago, the attention to detail was superb and they have held up better than expected . Last year due to a loss in weight I need to have them altered. I contacted Chris, he explained how I need to pin them for the correction and gave instructions for shipping. I received the trousers back in a very short time, they fit great and Chris even took the time to write a personal note.Thats great customer service. Chris has my business again on my next pants purchase.
                Jeffrey Quigley
                The Tater Mess
                Black Jack Battlefield
                Lone Jack Historical Society

"Col. Pate" said Stuart, "You have done all that any man could do. How long can you hold this position?" "Until I die General" answered Pate.
                General J.E.B Stuart to Col. Henry Clay Pate, moments before Pate was killed in action at the Battle of Yellow Tavern, May 11th, 1864.
                Henry Clay Pate, Militia Captain of Shannon's Sharpshooters, Battle of Black Jack, Kansas Territory June 2nd 1856

Comment

I would like to echo the comments made by everyone on this thread. I ordered a pair of confederate trousers from Stoney Brooke for the 150th of Manassas. The customer service was unbelievable, Chris was incredibly patient, and delivered a fantastic product. I gave Chris the wrong measurements once, had him add extras to the pants, and still received them with a week to spare (in spite of submitting the order about 5 weeks before Manassas).

Chris is by far, the nicest, friendliest maker of goods I have dealt with in the hobby. Even outside of the civil war reenacting, I believe this was my best customer service experience ordering a product prior to seeing it.

Andrew Marcum
                  Andrew Marcum

Comment

Working...
                  X