Joe Hill Federal haversacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Hill Federal haversacks

After years (yes years) of searching for a good Fed. haversack and countless attempts to make the proper finish myself, I finally found the best reproduction I've ever seen. The paint is made from all of the correct ingredients, including litharge and you can truly see the difference. It is copied from an original used by an Ohioan from the western theater and it has some details not normally found on most reproductions. Very light weight drill material, a rounded reinforcement on the flap, horizontal stitching on the leather tab and small iron tacks on the buckle portion of the leather. Truly a work of art.

Unfortunately, my camera is not working right now, but if anyone is interested, I'd be happy to pass along Joe's contact info.

Adam Dickerson
    Adam Dickerson

Re: Joe Hill Federal haversacks

I'll second that, Adam!

Just for those curious, the paint mixture that Joe uses is a period recipe that does NOT have a latex content added, as with many of the reproductions out there (let's avoid the original paint vs. latex debate, if we can).

Joe has viewed several original haversacks from private collections that I have also had the opportunity to hold in my hands and look over. All of the patterns were taken directly from those original haversacks. Each of Joe's reproductions that I have seen has been true to the originals in pattern, materials, and construction. And, those of you that are familiar with Joe's needlework are aware of how meticulous he is.

I know that Joe plans to continue making runs of these haversacks for those interested. Not sure what the current price tag is on these bad boys, but the cost of the period paint mixture alone makes the material cost of production more than what used to be typical. The ingredients are sold in small amounts and a couple of them are very expensive.

I remember the first run Joe made a few years back. Guys were ditching their bags in the parking lot and picking up one of these because the quality stood out that much. Joe sold all those bags in less than two weeks!

I'll post pictures when I can.
    Last edited by JimConley; 08-14-2011, 11:00 PM.
    Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Adam and Jim,

Could you give us his contact info. May be helpful for those of us who may be interested in one. Thanks.
      Timothy J. Koehn
      Boone's Louisiana Battery
      Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
      http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

Joe Hill email address jahill1821@yahoo.com

Adam Dickerson
        Adam Dickerson

Comment

Thanks Adam!
          Timothy J. Koehn
          Boone's Louisiana Battery
          Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
          http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

Sorry it has taken so long, but I have finally been able to attach some photos of one of Joe's haversacks.

Enjoy!
            Attached Files
            Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

Comment

Some additional about the actual construction of the bag...

As already stated, this reproduction is copied directly from an original in a private collection. I have personally had the opportunity to handle the original and can say that the reproduction is entirely accurate and true to the original in every aspect of pattern, materials, and construction.

The haversack is both hand and machine sewn. The body and flap of the bag is one piece construction (there are no separate panels on the sides or bottom). The strap and reinforcements are sewn with a lock-stitch machine. The side seams are sewn on a chain-stitch machine. The edge of the flap as well as one side seam are hand felled. The other side seam is machine felled using a lock-stitch machine.

The paint recipe, which Joe can elaborate on when contacted, is made up of various ingredients that are all cited in period paint recipes for military equipment. Again, the paint being used does NOT include a latex addition, so drying takes a considerable amount of time because the paint does NOT include modern additives that would help speed up the drying process. The appearance of the finished product is dark and glossy. Once the paint truly has time to seal over time and the haversack collects some field wear, the paint will gradually begin to lose the glossy finish, as originals did.
              Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

Comment

Originally posted by JimConley View Post
                The side seams are sewn on a chain-stitch machine.
                Whoa! That's quite a detail to include! Is he using an antique chain-stitch machine? I have heard that the only modern chain-stitch machines available are made for industrial work (blue jeans, etc) and are incredibly expensive.

This sounds like the time to expand my Fed haversack collection.
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

John,
                  Joe is using a period sewing machine.
                  Brian Baird

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
                    Whoa! That's quite a detail to include! Is he using an antique chain-stitch machine?
                    John,
                    As Brian already pointed out, Joe does use a period machine. The original fatigue blouse that he copied was largely constructed with a chain-stitch machine as well.

Phil Cavanaugh used to have period chain stitch machines for sale some years ago. I believe they can still be had through sources such as ebay, if you know how to look.
                    Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

Comment

Received my Haversack from Joe on Wednesday and am very pleased with it.

Previous posters in this thread already provided all the details regarding construction, faithfulness to the original copied, etc.

IMO, the haversack is one of the nicest ones I've owned, can't wait to use it in a few weeks.

Joe was also a great guy to deal with - responded to emails, notified me how things were going, let me know when the haversack was finished and shipped. The haversack also arrived within the time he said it would.

Great customer service, reliable, excellent product.

am very pleased with the gave
                      Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

To All,

I received my Haversack a few months back and finally got to use it this past weekend in Minooka ,Illinois. The Haversack is fantastic! Joe was easy to deal with and the Haversack is of unsurpassed quality!

If you are thinking of getting a Haversack, this is the one to get.

Respectfully,

Michael Collins
                        Michael S. Collins

15th Tenn. Vol. Inf. Co "G"
                        Robert L. Miller Award Recipient No.26 May, 2003

"Trust in God and Fear Nothing."
                        - Brig. General Lewis Addison Armistead

Comment

How much are these bags selling for? Any other products that he offers that are on par with the haversack?
                          Bryant Roberts
                          Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                          palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Bryant,
                            Yes, Joe makes numerous items. He's made the majority of my kit, in fact.

Joe has access to a few private collections in the Midwest region. I know that he has studied numerous military and civilian original items and has drafted patterns from many of them. He has also learned his pattern drafting and construction techniques from a couple period systems. Joe's reproductions are truly a period cut and NOT modified modern patterns. For example, when I would order a uniform or clothing item from another vendor, I would order one size smaller than my actual size due to the fact that the majority of reproductions (yes, even good ones) are cut a bit large because they are cut from a modified modern pattern. When I order from Joe, however, the reproductions are a period cut, which can largely be more form-fitting.

Some of the items that Joe has studied and drafted his own patterns for include:
                            US Contract Fatigue Blouses (J.T. Martin Contract and Henry Foster Contract)
                            US Issue Trousers (Schuylkill Arsenal, Another Gov't Manufacture/Possibly Steubenville, Mounted Services Trousers/ID'ed to Sgt. Ryerson, 5th NY Light Artillery/EoG pg.127)
                            US Contract Shirt (5th Ohio Cav; conjectural)
                            US Enlisted Contract Overcoat (H.P. Wilbur Contract)
                            US Enlisted Uniform/Frock Coat (Boylan Contract)
                            US Mounted Services Artillery Jacket (St. Louis)
                            US Issue Haversacks (One is identified, but I do not currently have that info available and another is unknown)

That does not limit the reproductions that Joe has made, or can make either. He has made other items for me and others such as civilian style trousers, frock coats, and various custom garments based upon a combination of surviving originals, photographs, and common patterns/materials/construction of the period, both military and civilian.

My suggestion, if you have a project in mind, is to contact Joe and inquire what options he may be able to offer. He is obviously able to provide much further detail.

Oh, the haversacks are $95 plus shipping.
                            Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

Comment

Jim,

many thanks for the info! Sounds like he has the Fed end of the business handled.
                              Bryant Roberts
                              Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                              palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X