Compliments to Sutler of Fort Scott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compliments to Sutler of Fort Scott

I was a new customer to the tent of the Sutler of Fort Scott at the Wilson's Creek reenactment last week, and want to compliment them on their set-up, products and friendliness. I bought a shirt I had been looked at on their website, and it more than met my expectations, down to the buttons. I also bought two pair of their wool socks at a very reasonable price, and wore them the rest of the weekend. Not often have I seen such good tight knitting on wool socks priced so economically at $12.50 a pair. I don't think that I'll be getting blisters from those socks rubbing after the wear a bit. Plus, the period packaging of the socks and other items was also a nice touch. Glad they were there and hope to see them at Shiloh next spring.

Phil McBride
    Phil McBride
    Author:
    Whittled Away-A Civil War Novel of the Alamo Rifles
    Tangled Honor 1862: A Novel of the 5th Texas Infantry
    Redeeming Honor 1863: The 5th Texas Gettysburg and Chickamauga
    Defiant Honor 1864: The 5th Texas at the Wilderness and the 22nd USCT at New Market Heights
    Link to My Blog and My Books on Amazon:
    Blog: http://mcbridenovels.blogspot.com/http://www.amazon.com/Philip-McBride...ne_cont_book_1

Re: Compliments to Sutler of Fort Scott

The old vets of AoP events with Dom DalBello will recognize the setup and merchant, Steve Dunfee. He does indeed have some interesting items, and quite a few original items for decent prices on the site
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Those of us who were luckily serving in the battalion under Dom DalBello last week were privileged to have Steve Dunfee as the Brigade Commander. It was a great exprience to fall in with the AoP guys under great leaders, and yes, I have to agree, I have a pair of those socks as well and thought Steve had a great set-up. I have to admit I kept the period packaging instead of throwing it away because I thought it was a great touch.
      Frank Siltman
      24th Mo Vol Inf
      Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
      Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
      Company of Military Historians
      Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Steve had by far the best display of items I have ever seen on sutlers row, it didnt matter what you bought there was a lot of time and effort put into its display. Can tomatoes were displayed in a wooden crate filled with saw dust with the lid busted off, everything small came in a pastboard box with a period lable and I mean everything officers shoulder boards, cravats, combs, etc. And everything was of excellent quality and was priced great. I honestly thought to myself while walking through his tent that you could actually shop through his sutlery in first person. I was very very impressed as were a number of guys around the AoP camp. It would have been great if he could have actualy set up in camp.
        -Brandon Hand
        48th NY Co. F
        Unit Clerk/Newsletter Editor

Comment

I have ordered a few items through their website and they have a lot of great small items and add a lot of detail to something as simple as a pack of candles. Also great original items listed.

-Brian
          Brian William Huerta

Fighting Boys Mess

Liberty Rifles

Comment

He did have a store right across the street from Fort Scott, KS. Nice store with plenty of stuff (original and reproduction) items for sale. Good products and a good bunch of folks to chat with.
            Bill Jordan

“I ended the war a horse ahead.”
            Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

Just placed an order for some items and can't wait until they get here! I confess that I nearly hyperventilated after seeing all the utterly wonderful and fantastic offerings on the site....based on what I've seen and what's already been said here, I don't think I'll be disappointed one bit!
              [B]Zachary Whitlow[/B]
              Liberty Rifles

[I]"Though I weigh only 120 pounds, when I'm mad I weigh a ton."[/I] - Thomas Starr King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I really enjoy Steve and he has a excellent sutlery at reasonable prices for orginal items and great quality reproductions. He has moved his location, he is no longer across from the park though. He is now in a free standing building on the Tallman Homestead that dates back to 1857. I am happy that he is so close to home for me and worth the trip if you can make it to Missouri/Kansas border. Even for items that he may not have, he seems happy to talk and help you. Plus he often has more items than what is on the website. It is worth your time to talk to him and see what is and will be avalible.

Please sign your first and last name when posting on the forum. It is one of the "Big 3" rules. Thanks! Herb Coats, Moderator.
                Last edited by Coatsy; 12-05-2011, 06:30 AM.
                Steven Beneke "Today"
                Bastian DuGaules "1861"

Comment

I was looking for a more authentic shirt and purchased one of Steve's at Wilson's Creek. Great shirt, good fit, hand sewn button holes, very reasonable price.

Jim Scheidel
                  8th Kansas
                  Jim Scheidel
                  Andover, Kansas
                  24th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
                  www.24thmissouri.org

Comment

I recently ordered two items from Steve Dunfree, Sutler of Fort Scott. The shirt I received was top-notch, hand sewn botton holes, and top stitching. It is a great looking quality shirt at a great price. The second item was an oil cloth wheel hat constructed of made-from-scratch oil cloth using period methods with much attention to detail. I could not be more pleased with the items. Steve provided customer service that was 2nd to none.
                    Jeffrey Quigley
                    The Tater Mess
                    Black Jack Battlefield
                    Lone Jack Historical Society

"Col. Pate" said Stuart, "You have done all that any man could do. How long can you hold this position?" "Until I die General" answered Pate.
                    General J.E.B Stuart to Col. Henry Clay Pate, moments before Pate was killed in action at the Battle of Yellow Tavern, May 11th, 1864.
                    Henry Clay Pate, Militia Captain of Shannon's Sharpshooters, Battle of Black Jack, Kansas Territory June 2nd 1856

Comment

I also just received an order from Steve. I couldn't be happier with the products or Steve's outstanding service. He went completely out of his way to fill my order, and have it shipped to Australia as quickly as possible. The only problem that I can see is that Steve packages things so well, in the best period packaging I've seen, that it's hard to actually use them!! But at his prices you can afford to use it up, and buy more. Let's keep him in business!!! I know I'll be making many future orders.
                      D.W.(Trace)Scalf
                      19th Alabama Infantry(Australia)
                      [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

"Only the dead have seen the end of War".
                      George Santayana

Comment

Working...
                      X