Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reprint of the 1861/2009 Inaugural Bible

Greetings -

Has anyone personally seen the reprint of the 1853 bible used in the '61/'09 Presidential inaugurations? It purports to be an exact facsimile of the original (including handwritten inscriptions currently found in the real deal) and the book collector crowd seems to approve of it -- is this the best thing available for those who want to incorporate a KJV that doesn't look like a 150-year-old antique into their civilian impression? It's hard to tell much from the few photos, but is there anything that immediately rings "modern" to it?

Marc A. Hermann
    Liberty Rifles.
    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Re: Reprint of the 1861/2009 Inaugural Bible

I have not seen the replica in person, so I can't vouch for its authenticity, but here is a photo of the original for comparison. As far as the outside goes, it seems pretty close for a mass market replica. However, I wonder if the text inside is also an authentic reproduction, and if the type used matches that found in mid-19th century bibles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lincoln Bible.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	223095
    Jeremiah DeGennaro
    Durham, NC

"We are under orders to march at a moments notice and hold ourselves of course responsible to all military orders, for what are we but dogs in the hands of our superiors."
    - Pvt. Josiah K. Baxter, 140th Indiana Infantry, Nov. 21, 1864

Comment

I viewed the video on Amazon about this. From what I can see the book looks good to me.

As far as typefaces and printed pages, you can't tell from the video. But ironically, most people that reproduce a book work very hard to reproduce the inside typefaces and styles as much as possible, then slap a modern cover on it. For examples of this, you need look no further than the reproductions of US and CS regulations that are floating around out there, ase well as many other versions of repro books.

To me, the reproduction of the book's cover is more important than the reproduction of the pages, because the cover is what is on display in camp and at demonstrations. To me and borrowing a clothing example, it would be like wearing really excellent quality reproduction underwear under a horribly reproduced uniform. The underwear is great, but most people don't see that, they see the low-quality uniform.

When I contracted to have a hard-bound book reproduced, and having seen crummy modern covers on reproduction books, I was very anxious to have the cover reproduced as closely as possible. I got the stamps and dyes made for it, and worked with the binder on covers. Frankly, I was very surprised at how little the authentic cover added to the book's cost.

I'm not saying the typefaces and printing of the inside aren't important. They are. But I feel like the cover is the first thing you need to get right.
      Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
      Elverson, PA

Comment

In a similar vein, but a little divergent, I have tried finding a reprint of the American Bible Society King James bible given out to soldiers, and not found a good copy I like, always a sutler row product. I tried emailing the American Bible Society to ask if they would be interested in producing reproductions for the Sesquicentennial, and pointed out that there may be a demand for such an item if they carried it as product. I never even got a response or acknowlegement. I'd like a good personal copy, without carrying an original. I have a family bible from the period, in German, but I don't want to carry that or any other original that could get ruined in a field environment.
        Frank Siltman
        24th Mo Vol Inf
        Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
        Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
        Company of Military Historians
        Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Like most others here, on the small screen it looks pretty good. What I would like to find is a large format Bible reproduction. Currently in my civilian impression I am having to use a modern KJV that I can read from the pulpit without straining. I have a couple of originals but they look 150 years old and are far too fragile to use at an event; any ideas where I can find a correct repop of a large format Bible?
          Robert Collett
          8th FL / 13th IN
          Armory Guards
          WIG

Comment

Robert

Try the folks in the first listing on this page

Now, I can't get the Bible Man's web page to come up, so he may not be in production anymore-or it may be a temporary glitch. At any rate, this NT is about 8 x 10 in a nice sized print and an utterly correct binding. The typeface is an 18th century one, and the f's for s's will take some getting used to, especially when reading aloud. I can read it without my spectacles, so surely you can see it with yours on.

And, last time I was in 96 District's tent, they had a couple in stock.
            Terre Hood Biederman
            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Thanks Mrs. Lawson. I tried the Bible Man a few times and I believe he may be gone but will call. I also didn't see any the last time I was in 96th District but that was Olustee 2 years ago. No worries on the S and F, I have a reprint of the 1611 KJV and I have no problems with it.
              Robert Collett
              8th FL / 13th IN
              Armory Guards
              WIG

Comment

Perhaps if we mentioned this to the Gideons, they might reproduce a Civil War period testament. I know some years back, the RMJC organization reprodcued a very nice testament. However those are long gone.
                Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
                Elverson, PA

Comment

Might want to keep in mind what one of the Amazon reviewers said if somebody wants one that looks like it was new back then: "a very small replica bible that when looking at it appears to be made of old paper but that is just an illusion. Still, small as it is (like a small thick paperback book...though it is in hardcover) it is a complete bible."

EDIT: I watched the little video that Amazon had and the pages did not look that aged. So I don't know... someone will have to buy one and tell us what it really looks like.
                  Last edited by Nathan Dodds; 08-06-2012, 05:28 PM.
                  Nathan Dodds

Comment

Gents, I just ordered said Bible from Amazon (price was about $17) and it looks just like the picture that was posted above except for the fact that it is in a brand new condition state. It has what looks like hand written inscriptions on the inside covers from Lincoln with a seal in the back. The only thing that I noticed that would be unoriginal would be the small 1" X 2" copyright note on one of the first pages, but everything else looks great. I'm not endorsing this item but after having spent 20 plus years in the hobby, and looking for something other than original Bible to carry, this is it. I can post pics later if anyone is interested but for the price it can't be beat.

Kristoffer Tinney
                    Kristoffer Lee Tinney

Comment

Thank you for being the test case, Kristoffer!
                      Marc A. Hermann
                      Liberty Rifles.
                      MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
                      Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

You're welcome. I collect Bible's anyway so thank you for finding this for me.

Kristoffer Tinney
                        Kristoffer Lee Tinney

Comment

When I saw the post about this Bible being only $17, I went to Amazon to check it out. Indeed it was available for $16.75 plus $3.99 shipping from a vendor with 100% positive feedback. I ordered it, and it was delivered to my office this morning.

As far as pagination and font, it seems identical to an original 185x Bible I have at home. It looks like a new version of what I have often seen in museums and antique stores. It is very nicely done.
                          Carlton Mansfield
                          26th North Carolina Troops

Comment

Here are some pictures. The first is a side-by-side view of the new Bible and the 1855 Bible. Also is a picture from each of the Bibles of the first page of the Book of Genesis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BiblesTogether.jpg
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	223449Click image for larger version

Name:	BibleOld.jpg
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	223450Click image for larger version

Name:	BibleNew.jpg
Size:	222.8 KB