Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Todd Watts: (something different) 1859 Sharps Rifle Defarb . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todd Watts: (something different) 1859 Sharps Rifle Defarb . . .

Dear Friends,

We have all seen his defarbed Enfields and the improvements he has helped many of us make in our material kit. I would like to share my good experience (again) with Todd Watts -this time, an 1859 Sharps Rifle made by Pedersoli.

As always, his communication was good and it's obvious that Todd does this more for the love of doing it then the money. Thank you Todd!

Click image for larger version

Name:	sharps004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	230378

Name:	sharps001.jpg
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	230379

Name:	sharps003.jpg
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	230380

Name:	sharps002.jpg
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	230381

Lock and bayonet are original.

John Novicki
    Co. C, 2nd U.S.S.S.

Re: Todd Watts: (something different) 1859 Sharps Rifle Defarb . . .

Well now, looks like Brian White's Christmas list just got a little longer.
    Jason David

Peter Pelican
    36th Illinois Co. "B"
    Prodigal Sons Mess
    Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

Amazing. Beautiful. Bravo!
      Joe Knight

Armory Guards
      Yocona Rip Raps
      "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

An interesting alternative, thanks for posting the photographs John.
        Respectfully Yours,

Robert Edwards

[I]"Sharpshooters, like fiddlers, are born, not made." - - - - - Major General Ambrose P. Hill, CSA.[/I]

Comment

John,

From my eyes it looks like the lockplate features the Lawrence pellet primer system?

I had to edit this post because I got 'locked in' examining the photos so I missed your comment that the lockplate is an original. Having tinkered with Sharps weapons for the past 18 years it is no easy job trying to get US parts to fit into Italian metric repops. Todd did an excellent job of inletting and fitting the lockplate into the stock.

FYI to Pederosoli and other manufacturers: this is how all modern NM1859 Infantry Model repops should look like. The repops currently offered are actually versions of the New Model 1863 produced in January and March of 1865 ('C' prefix before serial numbers; no bayonet lug-took the angular bayonet, 800 yard ladder sight). I believe Curt Schmidt provided an excellent description of the problems associated with modern Sharps lockplates in a previouis post. Granted, nobody today makes pellet primers (and they were rarely used in combat) and the manufacturing challenges of adding a Lawrence pellet primer system would put the cost of repops beyond the vast majority of shooters or living historians (likely be cheaper to buy an original).

Was Todd able to recreate the stamps to mark all of the various parts of the lockplate and barrel? I believe originals had upwards of 8 separate stampings to denote Sharps, Lawrence, Conant patents, 'New Model 1859' designation, serial number, etc. I know some people are interested in removing Italian markings from their rifles/carbines for correct Sharps stampings.

My compliments to Mr. Watts and you for recreating one of the most sought after rifles of the late War.

Bill Skillman
          Randolph Mess
          Last edited by NM1859; 10-19-2012, 08:14 AM.

Comment

In response to a question from Bill . . .

Thank you for the compliment but actually two men deserve it more than I. Todd, already mentioned in these posts and Robby Hoyt, 717-642-6696 at Freischutz Gun Shop. For those of you who don't know him, Robby can take a pretty yukky original and make it into a *safe* reliable shooter and living history piece . . . no need for defarbing either and he's Cheeeep.

Yes, Todd did do some of the markings . . .

Name:	sharps005.jpg
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	223551

As far as when the weapon entered service and saw use . . .

"The U.S. Navy was first to place an order for the NM 1859 Sharps rifles. On September 9, 1859, the Navy placed an order for 900 Sharps .56-cal. NM 1859 rifles. They were to have 30" barrels and be equipped to take the saber bayonet. The bayonets were manufactured at the Ames Mfg. Co. The first 630 rifles on the contract were delivered in November 1860, with the balance delivered by the outbreak of the war. They were quickly placed on board vessels being outfitted for sea. By June 1861, all the Sharps rifles at the New York Navy Yard had been issued. The last 80 rifles were issued to the frigate Colorado. The Philadelphia Navy Yard had issued all its Sharps by the end of April.

To supply the urgent request for rifles, an additional order was placed for 1,500 .52-cal. NM 1859 Sharps rifles in June with John Mitchell-Sharps' agent in Washington, D.C. Deliveries were made by July. These rifles, like the previous guns, were equipped to take the saber bayonet. In total. the Navy placed contracts with the Sharps factory for 2,400 NM 1859 Sharps rifles. An additional 100 rifles were obtained from the Union Defense Committee of New York in 1861. These Sharps were originally issued to the sidewheeler Quaker City'.

One of the first combat uses for Sharps rifles occurred at Mathias Point, Virginia, on June 27, 1861."

McAulay, J. D. (1999, April). The civil war sharps rifle. American Rifleman.
            Last edited by verg; 10-19-2012, 09:53 AM.

John Novicki
            Co. C, 2nd U.S.S.S.

Comment

Very nice! ;) Sharps rifles with any type of bayonet are rare enough in the ranks, but the saber is a beautiful touch!

Calum
              Michael Thomas

11th PA Reserves, 40th PVI, Co F
              www.facebook.com/reserve.companyf

1st USSS, Co H
              http://nyberdans.wix.com/nyberdans

Comment

Pretty nice...for a "slicked up" yank rifle...

Michael Fahle

Comment

Wonder if he will do a Henry rifle b
                  Frank Perkin

Comment

I did check with Todd about the Henry. Not much he can do with it because it's a modern firearm. Should have realized that. :(
                    Frank Perkin

Comment

In this thread is the oft-stated observation that Sharps Lawrence pellet primers were little used in the service. It's noteworthy that, when carbines were simplified for economy in mid-war, the complex Lawrence primer device survived and that the Federal government purchased large quantities of primer pellets clear up to 1865. I've seen opinions stated elsewhere that troops used percussion caps in firing their Sharps until pressed, then utilized the priming system for rapid fire, very like the theory behind the magazine cut-off on Krag and '03 Springfields. I have no idea of the source for this theory.
                      David Fox

Comment

Working...
                      X