any Fed frock coat makers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any Fed frock coat makers?

Anybody know of anyone else other than the NJ guy that makes an authentic Fed infantry frock?
    Kenny Pavia
    24th Missouri Infantry

Re: any Fed frock coat makers?

James, "Jim" Williams of Williams clothiers makes the best frock I've ever seen in my life! They are quite the investment though. Maybe one day I'll actually be able to afford one of them. Check out his site: http://williamsclothiers.com/
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
    Handsome Company Mess
    Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Try Shane Miles and Rachel Kelly of S Miles & R Kelly. They do beautiful work and the price is competitive.
      You might also check out Andrew Kasmar of Beauregard's Tailor. Both are on Facebook.
      There is a fellow named Mark Watts on Etsy who makes hand sewn to order frocks.

Personally, I love my NJS.
      Last edited by Pvt. Shattuck; 01-27-2013, 08:55 PM.
      [B][/B][B][/B][B]Bill Slavin[/B]
      SUVCW, SVR,
      Liberty Guards Mess

GG Grandson of [B]Pvt. Willis Shattuck[/B] (1842-1912), Co. F, 16th NY Vol Inf and Co. K, 73rd Ohio Vol Inf

"[I]Dig [I]Johnnies! We're coming for you!"[/I][/I]
      Six foot seven inch tall Union Brigade Commander Newton Martin Curtis as he tossed a handful of shovels over the traverse at Fort Fisher. The shovels had been sent from the rear with the suggestion of entrenching for a siege.

Comment

Dick Watters makes one of the best.
        Jim Ruley if he has time

Comment

Charlie Childs is still IMO the best in the business.
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Wade Rogers has at times in the past made them, as has Scott Lyndon. I don't know either's production situation today.
            Pat Brown

Comment

Scott just finished one the other day and swore he'd never do it again :)
              Mike McGee
              Cure All Mess ~ Hard Case Boys
              Co A, 4th Tennessee Infantry Regiment "The Shelby Greys"
              Co C, 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry

Pvt. Francis "Frank" Agee- G, G, G-Uncle
              Co H, 22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment
              KIA Battle of Shiloh-April 6, 1862
              Resting in Peace on that Hallowed Ground

Comment

I finished my enlisted frock last summer. It took two tries for me to get the collar right. If I get fat, I'd eat a tapeworm before I'd sell it. ;-)

Guys who can make these coats quickly and well have serious skills. I've seen good work by many of the folks listed. ...one not mentioned yet is Joe Hill. I saw a splendid coat by him at Shiloh last March.

Without calling any vendors out, I wanted to mention something (if a vendor notices that their product matches what I am mentioning here, please interpret this as an observation intended as constructive feedback, not as a slight against your product):

Be sure that the collar is meeting in the center at the throat. The collar is intended to close with a hook and eye and you will see that button-line and center-edges of buttonholes align with the the point where the collar meets the coat front. There should be no significant gap between the left and right collar at this point.

For some detailed pics of original coats, have a look at ha.com.
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Fenny Hanes of Richmond Depot would make you one.
                  Thomas Westbrook
                  Thomas Westbrook

Comment

How did I forget Chris Ruff (sorry if I misspelled one or both of his names)?

The other collar challenge I have seen on Fed dress coats that I have not noticed on other reproduction garments is a wavy collar at the collar's base.
                    Pat Brown

Comment

Working...
                    X