Seeking a pattern source.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking a pattern source.

Does anyone know of a reputable vendor that I could purchasea commutation style jacket pattern from? I know Homespun patterns have a CSshell jacket pattern. However it doesn’t provide any information on thestyle. Needless to say I am not gettingthat warm and fuzzy from it. Any advicewould be greatly appreciated.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Re: Seeking a pattern source.

Tyler,
    You probably know this already, but "commutation" is not the style of a coat, but the way the coat was procured and paid for. That being the case, what makes a repro coat "commutation" is in the eye of the beholder, to a certain degree.

One approach is to reproduce a particular coat. If you are interested in the Kent, Paine, & Co. jacket, for example, (I forget the name of the soldier who wore the relic coat), you might find out if any of the usual suspects has examined that coat and/or made a pattern.

Otherwise, you can make a "conjecture" piece that would be typical of a coat procured under the commutation system, whether that was a commercially produced piece (such as the Kent/Paine jacket) or something that was homemade.

I hope this helps!
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Agree 100% with John - grab a pattern based on an existing jacket produced during that period. The RD pattern should work well, as it represents a common type of shell jacket (9 button, 6 piece) and it is based on numerous existing jackets. Charles Childs is a good place to start. http://crchilds.com/Patterns%20CS%202013.html
      Last edited by DougCooper; 05-31-2013, 03:58 PM.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

John and Doug, thank you for the advice.
        I am still very new to the CS side of things and I was underthe impression that there was a major difference in the construction comparedto one of the several types of depot jackets. This information really help’s,thanks again!
        John, how is your Charleston frock coming along?
        Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 05-31-2013, 06:42 PM.
        Tyler Underwood
        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
        Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Okay, a day late and a dollar short. The jacket pattern mentioned is based on a jacket worn by one of Morgan's men.They put the history of the garment in the instructions. I would nice if they said what the pattern was copied from. The patterns biggest issue is that the sleeves are very short, and the waist is sized for typical reenactors. I have made 2 of them. The first fit a person about 5'5" perfectly in sleeve length. I am 5'11". I had to add about 1.5 inches to the length. Hope that helps.
          Martin Kinney
          Western Nebraska

Comment

Working...
          X