Custom Pipe Makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Pipe Makers

Besides Randy U., can anyone point me to someone willing/able to make one of the more elaborate and detailed pipes that were seen during the war? Randy kinda dropped off the grid, so the project must go on. Thanks!
    Mark Krausz
    William L. Campbell
    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Re: Custom Pipe Makers

Ken Latham made me a very nice "Buford" style pipe (patterned after the pipe used by Sam Elliott in the movie Gettysburg), and he also makes one called the "Captain Ellis" from the same movie. In addition to these, he makes some fine period briars (Sesquicentennial Series). You can check out his work at: http://www.lathamhandcraftedpipes.com/
    Last edited by sodapop63; 12-26-2013, 09:47 AM.
    C. Scott Brown
    Co M 1st MO Light Artillery Turner Brigade
    Camp Commander, SUVCW Sigel Camp #614 Dept. of MO
    Chaplain, SUVCW Dept. of MO
    Treasurer, S. Central MO Civil War Round Table
    Civil War Trust Member

[B]In honor of my paternal Great-grandfather, Pvt. Francis Marion Brown, Co. D, 29th IL Inf[/B] &
    [B]my maternal Great great-grandfather, Pvt. James Madison Hendrickson, along with brothers Pvt. Thomas Jefferson Hendrickson and Pvt. Solomon Hendrickson, all of Co. G, 99th IL Inf[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by sodapop63 View Post
      Ken Latham made me a very nice "Buford" style pipe (patterned after the pipe used by Sam Elliott in the movie Gettysburg), and he also makes one called the "Captain Ellis" from the same movie. In addition to these, he makes some fine period briars (Sesquicentennial Series). You can check out his work at: http://www.lathamhandcraftedpipes.com/
      I will second Ken's work...I have a custom pipe from him that I got for Christmas last year and plan to go back and get a Buford. His service is top notch and he is a great guy to deal with too.

Sincerely,
      Robert
      Robert F. Wallace
      38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
      North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

Do you have any references that these pipes are anything more than movie pipes? Were they copied from originals?

We do not accept use in a movie as a historical reference on this forum.

Originally posted by sodapop63 View Post
        Jim Kindred

Comment

Also, last I heard Ken was putting all such independent projects on hold until he caught up with his backlog and promises he made to some pipe shops.
          Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
          Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
          Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
          Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Gents-

Here is a dandy image of a Civil War pipe carved by a soldier while a prisoner at Andersonville in the Iowa Historical Society collection.
            Attached Files
            Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
            Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
            Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
            Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Jim,
              "The Buford" pipe is a style of a Bulldog of sorts, and is indeed a period correct style and shape.

If Ken Latham can't do it. The thing that most people need to understand is that a custom pipe can run the range from $100 to way the hell up there.
              Patrick Landrum
              Independent Rifles

Comment

All,

As a pipe smoker and a satisfied customer of Ken Latham's work, let me interject that what the issue here is not the workmanship of Ken's work. In fact, I have a couple of his products and I look at the materials used, the adherence to historical craftsmanship and the overall workmanship and quality. The "smokeability" is also very important, as you would imagine. All that said, what the moderators are looking for here is a reference to the historical accuracy and pattern as opposed to the pipes relevance to a movie or any modern reproduction. The key is here is to model and measure towards history, not historical reproductions.

I think Pat is helping in this respect with his reference to the "bulldog" style of pipe.

regards,

Martk
                J. Mark Choate
                7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Pat,

Thanks. Warning flags go up here when ever a product is recommended because it was seen in a movie. Those were the only references given.

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
                  Jim,
                  "The Buford" pipe is a style of a Bulldog of sorts, and is indeed a period correct style and shape.

If Ken Latham can't do it. The thing that most people need to understand is that a custom pipe can run the range from $100 to way the hell up there.
                  Jim Kindred

Comment

To be more specific in my request I suppose, I'm attaching an image of something I'd like to have done. You pay for quality and artsmanship, and I expected that, but Randy must've gotten too busy to be work on this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	40th Ohio Taylor Left Front.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	224011
                    Mark Krausz
                    William L. Campbell
                    Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Mark,

Frankly, I don't know of anyone besides Ubben who could handle something of that detail. Last communication that I had with him he indicated that his plate was full with life in general. Not sure how many new jobs he is taking on.

I think John Wickett values quality pipes and he may know of someone. You might send him a p.m.

Have you tried some quality pipe shops in the Chicago area? You might show them the photos, stress the importance of historical accuracy in workmanship and let them recommend some artisans to contact. They would know the likely sources of something like that. I have found that it is a rather close-nit community.

regards,
                      Mark
                      J. Mark Choate
                      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Etsy and Ebay can provide pipes at reasonable prices, though you do have to know what you are looking for. Remember that many German and European pipes have very old origins and some of the modern reproductions are based on traditional models. As with any reproduction, pattern, materials, and construction are the key factors.

If size is a consideration, a four-piece, cherry-stemmed Jäger pipe with tassels may not be the best option for carrying in the vest pocket. However, several small versions are out there with sterling silver caps and trim.

Meerschaum is another option. Most stems will be plastic, unfortunately, but as has been mentioned, finding a craftsman to carve a suitable stem might be a cheaper and more unique option. I had to do this with one of my pipes, but it came out great.

If these aren't suitable, clay repros based on dug examples are readily available, but I think that defeats the purpose of this thread. Sorry I don't have a source for what you are seeking. Plenty of options, however, and if you want to discuss further send me a PM; I will also happily share photos of my pipe collection.
                        Ivan Ingraham
                        AC Moderator

Comment

If I understood Mark's request, he is wanting to have the pipe in the photo reproduced not simply buy a pipe.

Is that accurate, Mark?

Mark
                          J. Mark Choate
                          7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTK36thIL View Post
                            Besides Randy U., can anyone point me to someone willing/able to make one of the more elaborate and detailed pipes that were seen during the war? Randy kinda dropped off the grid, so the project must go on. Thanks!
                            That isn't how I read the initial post, Mark, but if there is a specific pipe someone is looking to copy, as I said, I don't know of anyone taking on such work. His photo was of "an example", but I didn't read it as THE pipe he wanted to reproduce. Having collected pipes for awhile now, that kind of work and detail would've been best achieved by a master woodcarver. Details equals dollars, most of the time, anyway.

Hence why searching for the style over a maker might be the way to approach this if decent reproductions from a viable source are unavailable.
                            Last edited by Ambrose Bierce; 12-27-2013, 02:31 PM.
                            Ivan Ingraham
                            AC Moderator

Comment

After looking around for a little bit. I think the best approach is going to have to be from a wood carver, and not cheap. Time = $
                              The goal was to replicate one of these pipes that are not PEC, but rarely/never represented.

I might argue against my original post now, and contemplate that surviving originals of the more elaborate pipes might be more of the exception. Percentage speaking, the number of master wood carvers in army who did make them are far outnumbered by the ones who made/bought simpler pipes.
                              Mark Krausz
                              William L. Campbell
                              Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Working...
                              X