W. K. Osman Forage Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W. K. Osman Forage Caps

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these forage caps: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~foragecaps/

Thanks!
    Dave Gink
    2nd US Cavalry
    West Bend, WI

Re: W. K. Osman Forage Caps

Yeah,dont waste your money!!
    [COLOR=Blue][/COLOR]Roy Lee :baring_te

Comment

The knowledge in here is getting deep...

Originally posted by RLee
      Yeah,dont waste your money!!
      Wow, such a high quality, informative review...

I'm sure that is exactly what Dave wanted to know. Heck, why didn't you just tell him to look at the approved vendor list and go no further?
      Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
      1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
      Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

The truth will set you free....the cap is garbage what more do you want!!
        [COLOR=Blue][/COLOR]Roy Lee :baring_te

Comment

RLee,

Please sign your posts or you will be set free by one of the moderators. Signatures are required.
          Jim Kindred

Comment

I haven't seen one of her caps, but I wouldn't be so quick to judge. As curators at Ft. Snelling for many years, the Osmans do produce some high quality officers embroidered goods and other first rate uniforms items. They are on the approved list for many fine LH groups. If you've seen some of their goods, fine. Otherwise, I suspect you are an authority without portfolio.
            Bob Williams
            26th North Carolina Troops
            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot
              I haven't seen one of her caps, but I wouldn't be so quick to judge. As curators at Ft. Snelling for many years, the Osmans do produce some high quality officers embroidered goods and other first rate uniforms items. They are on the approved list for many fine LH groups. If you've seen some of their goods, fine. Otherwise, I suspect you are an authority without portfolio.
              I have one, wear it, like it! It has a polished cotton liner, properly embossed sweat band, and good wool, but yes, it did not cost an arm/leg. Seems they are closing out on this item, so no need to register as an approved vendor.
              For the money, a great buy, even if not on the approved list.
              Steve Sullivan
              46th Illinois
              Co. Mil. Hist.

Comment

Originally posted by RLee
                The truth will set you free....the cap is garbage what more do you want!!
                Well, how about the basis of your opinion for starters. Is it made of polyester with a cardboard visor, vinyl chin strap, and plastic buttons? To say it is garbage is a pretty strong statement but not exactly informed or informative. It would also be beneficial for you to provide your background and source of knowledge. If you are going to make such a statement, back it up soemhow. I mean for all we know you are some fruitcake who doesn't like the cap because it doesn't match the Pakistani cap that you really prefer.

Not trying to pick a fight, but kinda sick of people stating opinions without providing any basis of support for them. We need more knowledge in the hobby, not more baseless opinons.
                Last edited by AZReenactor; 09-12-2006, 09:12 PM.
                Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

I used to have one, and i thought is was comparable to originals.

Thanks,

"one strap goes into the grbage and the other goes into the fire" -B.K.
                  Alex J Belhumeur
                  The GawdAwful Mess
                  SC Society

"one strap goes into the grbage and the other goes into the fire" -B.K.

Comment

I have been impressed by my cap

I am very happy with the hat that I recv.'d. It arrived promptly in the mail and its construction is generally consistent with the originals I have seen in museums. I was most impressed with the wool fabric used for the exterior of the cap and the polished cotton in its interior. On the other hand, the bill of the hat I recv.'d had a rough rather than the painted (varnished?) smooth finish of original caps that I have viewed. Additionally, the leather sweatband featured a pebbled texture rather than the cross-hatch embossing I had expected. Unfortunately, I have not been able to see the inside of original caps, so I cannot speak with authority as to the correct finish on leather sweatbands.

The only comment that I have received from my pards is that the hat doesn't match the color of my fatigue blouse! That really doesn't bother me much; I doubt too many soldiers had the option of color-coordinating their issue uniform items nor cared that much. The hat is much darker in color from those produced by Chris Semancik and Greg Starbuck that I have had the privilege of viewing.

I'm curious, did the Osmans actually produce their hats in-house or did they commission a production run by somebody else? At the price point that they have offered their hat, I'm curious as to how they were able to cut costs.

As for RLee's post, I hope that his estimation is the product of inside information and first-hand experience on his part. If so, I would be delighted to hear him elaborate on his reasoning in greater depth and perhaps with some cogent analysis.

John McPherson
                    a.k.a., Capt. Lewis Cass Hunt, commd'g
                    Fourth Infantry, Co. "C"
                    Fort Steilacoom, Washington Territory
                    1859-60
                    "The Lost Towney" Mess
                    John McPherson
                    Member, "The Lost Towney" Mess
                    Co. A, Fourth U.S. Inf'y & Co. K, 1st Washington Territory Vols.

Comment

Re: I have been impressed by my cap

Originally posted by John McPherson
                      I am very happy with the hat that I recv.'d. It arrived promptly in the mail and its construction is generally consistent with the originals I have seen in museums. I was most impressed with the wool fabric used for the exterior of the cap and the polished cotton in its interior. On the other hand, the bill of the hat I recv.'d had a rough rather than the painted (varnished?) smooth finish of original caps that I have viewed. Additionally, the leather sweatband featured a pebbled texture rather than the cross-hatch embossing I had expected. Unfortunately, I have not been able to see the inside of original caps, so I cannot speak with authority as to the correct finish on leather sweatbands.

The only comment that I have received from my pards is that the hat doesn't match the color of my fatigue blouse! That really doesn't bother me much; I doubt too many soldiers had the option of color-coordinating their issue uniform items nor cared that much. The hat is much darker in color from those produced by Chris Semancik and Greg Starbuck that I have had the privilege of viewing.

I'm curious, did the Osmans actually produce their hats in-house or did they commission a production run by somebody else? At the price point that they have offered their hat, I'm curious as to how they were able to cut costs.

As for RLee's post, I hope that his estimation is the product of inside information and first-hand experience on his part. If so, I would be delighted to hear him elaborate on his reasoning in greater depth and perhaps with some cogent analysis.

John McPherson
                      a.k.a., Capt. Lewis Cass Hunt, commd'g
                      Fourth Infantry, Co. "C"
                      1859-60
                      "The Lost Towney" Mess
                      I believe the hats were produced in India using an original as a prototype. The first cap they produced actually had a snakeskin sweatband (the picture was sent to me when I inquired about the cap). That really looked bizarre to say the least. Overall, in the price range they charge, not a bad cap, but also not a ************, Starbuck, etc.
                      [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Ken,
                        I believe you are correct on the area of manufacture for this item. I do not believe they are made in the US.
                        Cheers
                        Terry Sorchy

Comment

They are made in India or someplace in that region. THe hat is based of an org. in the Minnesota History Society's collection. The hat belonged to a soldier in the 1st Minnesota.

Andy Miller
                          Andy Miller
                          Co. A, 1st Minn.

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

I've emailed the Osmans, alerting them to this discussion.

Thanks for the suggestion, Chris.
                            Paul Calloway
                            Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                            Proud Member of the GHTI
                            Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                            Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

I own one and feel it is serviceable, but I have not had the opportunity to compare it to any originals, at least other than online. I must agree with Mr Raia "not a bad cap, but also not a ************, Starbuck, etc."
                              Jake Beckstrand
                              CWPT
                              Member of The Iron Rooster Mess

Comment

Working...
                              X