Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altered Blouse?

Hi all,

I've been looking for a while now and I can't find anyone who does it, so does anyone know where to get a Federal fatigue blouse converted into a jacket? I don't have the cash right now, but it’s been bugging me for a while now.

Take care,
    Bill Backus

Re: Altered Blouse?

Bill,

Generally that's something that a person does themselves, or has a friend who sews do for them. I don't know of any vendors that commonly offer "field altered" items off the rack or as part of a general line, but I'm sure that many (myself included) would be happy to do something up as a custom order.

Best Regards,
    Dan Wambaugh
    Wambaugh, White, & Company
    www.wwandcompany.com
    517-303-3609
    Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Wambaugh View Post
      Bill,

Generally that's something that a person does themselves, or has a friend who sews do for them. I don't know of any vendors that commonly offer "field altered" items off the rack or as part of a general line, but I'm sure that many (myself included) would be happy to do something up as a custom order.

Best Regards,

Oh ok, thank you. I have a second blouse and I was thinking of what I can do with it.

Thanks again,
      Bill
      Bill Backus

Comment

Bill,
        Pat Brown made a jacket from a blouse which he sold through me a few years back. It was an example from his book "For Fatigue Purposes". Here is a pic of the one I carried.
        Dan Wambaugh, I am sure, could also do it for you as he already posted.

Joe
        Last edited by JerseySkilletLicker; 01-20-2008, 02:13 PM.
        Joseph Hofmann

Comment

Hello All,

Here are a few questions that came to mind while reading this thread:

1) Was altering a coat a common practice, I've seen photos of this done, but can there be an estimate on how many soldiers would have done this, say in a regiment, or a company? I know its hard to say, but maybe just a ballpark figure would help.

2) Why would a coat, such as a sack coat, be shortened as in the photo provided by Mr. Hoffman?

and

3) How did officers look upon this practice?

Thanks,
          Kyle M. Stetz
          Respectfully,
          -Kyle M. Stetz
          Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Comment

I know EJ Thomas sells the ************ Gale Contract Federal blouses.
            Patrick Rooney

Comment

I think altering a blouse like the "short sack" was not a common practice, the coat like all other issued items were government property. To see a whole regiment do it is something I doubt ever happened.
              As to why it was done...well, it was both a style and to a lesser degree, a comfort issue.
              I doubt officers condoned this practice, however, some officers were less strict than others.

The Gale contract coat, which was originally and still is a Pat Brown project, was a blouse with patch pockets added and a hook and eye at the throat, done post issue. The particular blouse that was examined by Pat and Mike Anderson passed through the Schuylkill Asenal and was then issued as it carried the arsenal's maltese cross stamp on the sleeve lining.
              Last edited by JerseySkilletLicker; 12-04-2006, 04:58 PM.
              Joseph Hofmann

Comment

After checking out the notes on the Gale coat, I would be willing to say ************'s coat is just a sack coat with patch pockets. For a person who slams others on exact reproductions he missed a few points on that one. I've been considering picking up one of Pat's coats in the near future. But like Joe and Dan said, I'm sure if you asked one of the vendors to do it, they would alter it however you wanted.
                Patrick Landrum
                Independent Rifles

Comment

Re: Altered Blouse

I purchased two fatigue blouses this year, and, in each case, I asked the vendor to throw in a scrap piece of material so that I could make my own patch pocket, which they did.

It's not that difficult to do - and it is a true field alteration, done after the fact. (Perhaps "dining room table alteration" would be a more accurate description?) ;)
                  [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                  [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
                  [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

To add another thought to this thread...whenever I have customers request a field alteration to an issued garment I often recommend they try it themselves, or ask if they have a friend who sews who can do it for them. It's not that I don't want to do it, quite the contrary, but the plain fact is that the same hand that makes the garment should not do the field alterations.

When I've had customers insist that we do the alteration in shop I either have Brian do the work or if I'm in a time crunch I have done several garment alterations with my left hand.

One of my first sewing projects was altering another well-known maker's blouse with a slash pocket and a more tailored look. That opened a Pandora's box for me and led to many happy years of work. I definitely suggest that if you're thinking of altering one of your garments you study up and try it yourself (practice a few times first on some scrap, you'll be happy you did!) The work and research you put into altering your garments to your liking could lead to bigger and better things, like putting your own shirt, trousers, or coat together!

Best,

Dan
                    Dan Wambaugh
                    Wambaugh, White, & Company
                    www.wwandcompany.com
                    517-303-3609
                    Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Dan, and all,

There is not much chance that my pockets will look like a professional did them, which is, of course, the idea. All I want is for them to be straight and not to come off.

(There is even less chance that I will ever consider sewing for a living.)

:D
                      [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                      [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
                      [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
                      [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by JerseySkilletLicker View Post
                        I think altering a blouse like the "short sack" was not a common practice, the coat like all other issued items were government property. To see a whole regiment do it is something I doubt ever happened.
                        As to why it was done...well, it was both a style and to a lesser degree, a comfort issue.
                        I doubt officers condoned this practice, however, some officers were less strict than others.
                        I agree that you'd never have seen entire regiment dressed in altered blouses. You'd be hard pressed to find an entire company attired like this.

However I believe clothing was personal property and as such, enlisted men could alter them however they pleased, if their officers approved. A wise man once told me, the amount of what you can get away with is due to your officers. If your Captain wanted to impress his superiors, he'd probably have his men follow Regulations to the letter, with pay deductions coming to anyone who altered their clothing. If your Captain cared more for your combat effectiveness he MAY have allowed you to get away with non-Regulation stuff, i.e. altered blouses, private purchase clothing, etc.

An altered blouse may not be appropriate for unit specific events, but for the more generic impressions, it is an option. For me, I'm just trying to think as if I was an average Federal soldier in Army of the X in 186X, what would I prefer, and if my Company officers would allow it.

Take care,
                        Bill Backus

Comment

'However I believe clothing was personal property and as such, enlisted men could alter them however they pleased, if their officers approved.'

Bill,
                          The clothing you were issued and the accoutrements for that matter were government property, which is why they could take it out of your pay for loss or damage.
                          Patrick Landrum
                          Independent Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
                            After checking out the notes on the Gale coat, I would be willing to say ************'s coat is just a sack coat with patch pockets. For a person who slams others on exact reproductions he missed a few points on that one. I've been considering picking up one of Pat's coats in the near future. But like Joe and Dan said, I'm sure if you asked one of the vendors to do it, they would alter it however you wanted.
                            Patrick,

Could you elaborate a bit on this statement. What are the few points that were missed vs. the notes? I'm not trying to start a flame war here however I think when anyone is inclined to make statement like this on this forum, it begs the facts as well. Thanks
                            [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

It's been several months since I even thought about that but shooting straight off the cuff the one minor thing I can remember was there were no Hooks and eyes on Mr. ************'s reproduction. It's an easy fix, and I'm sure once Nick notice(ed?) it, the problem would quickly be solved. I'm not doubting the guys talent or skill on research, his regional rep is a stones throw from me. Like I said, nothing major. And in all honesty the Gale coat is just a blouse with patch pockets and hooks and eyes. Nick's reproduction is still very nice.
                              Patrick Landrum
                              Independent Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X