Confederate insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate insignia

Hello gents and happy holidays! I'm looking for some authentic rank insignia for IM 600 and I had problems finding it the last time I did this, so I made my own, which I didn't really like. Any suggestions out there for someone who can make or provide materials for captain's insignia? And, as I write this, I think of Wooded Hamlet (not sure that's right), so I will try them for materials but what about someone who sells it ready-made?

Cheers!
    Cameron Lippard
    Iron Grays
    Lazarus Battery
    18th Indiana Light Artillery
    Palmetto Light Artillery

Re: Confederate insignia

Are u talkin about chicken guts on the sleeves ? or are u talking rank on the collar? I guess you arent quit clear on what youre lookin for. Also, what time frame? What rank? What army?
    Mike Dudkowski

Comment

Confederate I600 impression would be officer. Every Southern state was represented. It almost comes down to the man you wish to portray.
      Edward Watson
      Co. C, 33rd NCT

A Rowdy Pard

"Do your duty in all things.
      You can never do more,
      You should never wish to do less."
      -Robert E. Lee

Comment

A simple 3 bars on the collar or the whole sleeve thing, check out wooded hamlets Gold and Silver Bullion wire braid. Your on the right track and they will be more than happy to help you out.

Respectfully,
        sigpic
        Grandad Wm. David Lee
        52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
        - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

Cameron,

...or you can opt to leave it off and have a civilian kit. Pretty much what I'm doing. The only "badge" of rank may be a well worn SC officer's cap.

Neill Rose
          PLHA
          Last edited by Iron Scout; 12-23-2006, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies thus far. I'm portraying Captain Joseph Brothers of the 67th NCT who really was put into a volunteer infantry group after starting out as a artillery private, then transferred into homeguard and then pulled into the 67th as a 1st lt. and did all this while staying in NC. He was captured outside of Kinston, NC in June of 64.

I'm thinking Neil is right with the idea of doing a more of a civilian impression because of Brothers' service as homeguard most of his career. So, I just wasn't think before I posted. I have a great red-trimmed homespun sack coat that will work (a splash of artillery with a civilian look). However, I still would like to know of some sources that sells good bars, no chicken guts, too fancy for a country boy who became a lt. probably because they ran out of options.

Cheers!
            Cameron Lippard
            Iron Grays
            Lazarus Battery
            18th Indiana Light Artillery
            Palmetto Light Artillery

Comment

Cameron,
              Needle and Thread in GBurg now has Wooded Hamlets Stock. Give them a call, pick up a yard of the metalic gold. They have really nice 1/4" stuff, then cut it to lengths and sew it on your collar.
              Cheers
              Terry Sorchy
              Have a Merry XMas Everyone

Comment

Aside from Wooded Hamlet, you can still get the real stuff from the folks who sold it to the Confederacy... from Dixie Gun Works. The European firm that manufactures this braid has been in business since 1830 and their records show that this same braid was shipped to Mobile, Savannah, and Charleston during the 1860-65 period. It is made with metal tinsel and plated with 10 karet gold. The cost: 1/8" 10.95/yd. and 1/4" is 19.95/yd. I suppose this is a case of you get what you pay for. The quarter-inch stuff is what you want for the collar bars.
                Tom Ezell

Comment

Hey Cameron, not sure that you'd want to go this far, but here's what I learned and what I did when I applied my collar insignia. Several years ago I had the opportunity to work with the staff at Confederate Memorial Hall in N.O. to photograph the collection, both displayed and in vaults. I was particually drawn to several frocks of both Lt.'s and Capts. Almost without fail they all had a tiny hole button stiched, in which the end of the gold briad was slipped into. The top row was shortest, middle a little longer, end etc. with the back of each end being in line with one another.

I did this to my Confederate frock and was quite please with the results. I drew out the pattern- held it on the collar- made adjustments- and then proceeded with marking, punching the holes, and sewing. I used silk thread, oh, and detached the collar lining so that the holes dont go all the way through.

Tom is right on Dixie Gun Works for the braid, but I've seen the stock that Needle and Thread has and that's not a bad choice either.

Good luck.
                  Dennis Neal
                  "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
                  David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
                  Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
                  [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
                  J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Working...
                  X