Track of the Wolf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track of the Wolf

IN RE: "CERROSAFE Cerrosafe® Bismuth Chamber Casting Alloy, 1/2 lb ingot" available from Track of the Wolf.

Having used my P1853 Enfield at reenactment & living history events, I also want to participate in a future live firing event. Consequently, I need to cast bullets. Have found a wealth of casting info on The Cast Bullet Association site: www.castbulletassoc.org et al.

My question concerns the casting ingot available from Track of the Wolf: www.trackofthewolf.com. Anyone have experience using this product to cast bullets for Enfield live firing?

Thanks,
    [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
    [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
    16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
    22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
    &
    [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
    4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Re: Track of the Wolf

IMHO.

I would stick with pure lead for minies, or any muzzleloading projectile for that matter.

Bismuth is used as a substitute for lead in waterfowl shotshells. It is supposedly heavier, and more dense than steel shot.

As long as you have good ventililation ( I cast ammo outside) lead exposure is minimal.

Good luck,
    Wendell Brown
    Wendell Brown

Citizen Gaurd, The Orphan Brigade. N-SSA

HERE'D YOUR MULE

Comment

Comrade,

I just purchse buckets of used wheel weights from my local tire store. They will save them for me if I ask. Melt it down with a bottom-draw LEE Production Pot, skimming the cr*p off the top with an old iron ladle.

I cast both Minnies and toy soldiers with the same stuff, as well as occasional detail parts for model railroading. Cheap metal, works well, and helps recycle the base metal.

Respects,
      Tim Kindred
      Medical Mess
      Solar Star Lodge #14
      Bath, Maine

Comment

Mr. Erwin,

Cerrosafe is a low-temperature alloy (melts below the boiling point of water) used for making chamber casts of breechloading rifles, usually for the purpose of making custom reloading dies. It is rock hard and brittle, both of which will tend to give you poor accuracy in a minie. It is not meant for casting bullets.

I recommend pure lead for live firing muzzleloaders. Some guns can digest wheel weight alloy (WW is actually a range of alloys, with a hardness of anywhere from 12-18, so your results may vary widely from batch to batch...pure lead is around 3), but most cannot. You can get pure lead in 5 lb ingots at any plumbing supply shop. It'll run about $2/lb, but even at that price, it's cheaper than cerrosafe.

If you get serious about shooting, you should ask your questions over on the N-SSA board at www.n-ssa.org There are some teams in the N-SSA that are more concerned with authenticity, including authentic shooting, you just need to seek them out.

Cheers,

Michael
        Michael McComas
        drudge-errant

Comment

Compatriots,

Thanks for the information on bullet casting. I'll check with the local tire shops & plumbing supply house for pure lead. Also, will find those N-SSA authentic teams.

Regards,
          [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
          [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
          16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
          22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
          &
          [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
          4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

Working...
          X