Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotton City Columbus Depot Jacket

Hi,
    I'm posting this here as I can't seem to post in the 'Other Vendor' forum. Just wanted to say a big (public) thank-you to Becky Nall of Cotton City:-

for a Jones type Columbus Depot jacket now gratefully received. Becky told me she managed to make a detailed study of the jacket (held at the Vicksburg NMP but not on public display) and the copy is complete with details such as brown top-stitching, no top-stitching on the cuff trim and a contrasting gray Cassimere with brown warp lining the collar - peculiar to the Jones jacket - exactly as it looks on her and Tom's website. She used Ben Tart's #5 Jean vegetable dyed cloth (I believe) which is light-grey but will eventually change colour to a dirty khaki. Communication was great and she got it to me in the agreed time. Incidentally she is quite busy right now but is taking orders! I also got some of Ben Tart's script I buttons from her (not for this jacket) which were very nice indeed - with crisper detail than I've seen before.

Regards, Paul Jonsson. (England, UK)

PS- Also received a County Cloth made (63rd Tenessee type) Tait jacket not so long ago - (with the Infantry faced collar and epaulettes) which is unsurprisingly a stunner too! :)

Moderators - please feel free to direct this post to 'Other Vendors' but I couldn't seem to post there.
    Paul Jonsson (England, UK)

Re: Cotton City Columbus Depot Jacket

How did she make her "detailed study" of the Jones jacket, the only vendor I am aware of that made an on-site detailed study of the jacekt is the person from Galla Rock? Did your vendor examine the jacket in person, or did she rework the Galla Rock pattern? Moreover, Tart's trim is a poor substitute for the orginal on the Jones Jacket, Tart's is not as tightly woven and fades too quickly, the originial was much more colorfast.
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
    [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Hi Dave,
      she and her husband (to my best knowledge) made their own study of the jacket, taking detailed measurements and photographs which she refers back to each time when making a jacket. She specifically only makes jackets that she has personally studied, hence the limited range that she does. She did say that the (female) Curator was very protective and not easy to get past and she did have some trouble getting access to the jacket which is apparently well looked after - but not on public display (or at least wasn't at the time of her viewing). The trim on the jacket is Ben Tart's indigo dyed (I was referring to the main body of the jacket - not the trim) so unlike the main body should be quite colour-fast I think? It seems pretty tightly woven to me. I guess when she looked at the jacket she forgot to keep you informed! ;)

Best regards, Paul Jonsson. (England, UK) :)

Comment

Hmmm...Having had the pleasure of doing business with Mrs. Nall in the past, and given her long-standing sterling reputation based on lengthy and outstanding service to the authentic arm of our hobby, I'd be inclined to believe that if she says she examined the Jones jacket...Then she certainly did so. :)

In fact, I do believe Paul is correct in stating that EVERY uniform item she creates is a reproducton of a period piece which she has personally examined in detail.

Plus which, she's just about the absolute sweetest person to talk to in the entire world. :)
        Last edited by Chad Teasley; 09-02-2007, 08:00 AM.
        Chad Teasley

"Mississippians don't know, and refuse to learn, how to surrender to an enemy."
        Lt Col James Autry, CSA, May 1862

Comment

Dave,
          She studied it before Galla Rock had a chance to do it. Ask Rick the story about it.
          Patrick Landrum
          Independent Rifles

Comment

Looks like some nice stuff there.
            Frank Perkin

Comment

I have purchased from Cotton City before and was told by Becky the same information as Paul, namely that each piece that they choose to sell is one that they have done personal research on.
              Craig Hyson
              [SIZE="1"]OIF I, OIF 07-08[/SIZE]
              Susquehanna Rifles

Comment

If Becky is taking orders again that is great news indeed. She and Tom are quite a team but have had some very serious life challenges, from hurricanes to family health issues that would defeat the best of us. They are a great couple!

They were the first to personally examine the Murphree jacket and produce it using the correct fabric. They also use the correct fabric on the John Blair Royall jacket (satinet). They do indeed personally examine and make detailed patterns of each garment. Their stuff is outstanding.

They also have some very interesting theories on the Alabama commutation and then depot system as it relates to Murphree, Gilmore, Mystery and other jackets.
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Might want to also note for the new members here that Mrs. Nall is great but she is not one of the people that can have you a coat in 3 days like some people expect. She is much like Duvall with leather work, it's well worth the wait.
                  Last edited by coastaltrash; 09-02-2007, 02:11 PM.
                  Patrick Landrum
                  Independent Rifles

Comment

I have to echo what's been said here about Mrs. Nall's work. About 5 years ago, I ordered a pair or Richmond Depot style trousers from her. At that time, someone in her family was in the hospital. She had called me and told me what was going on and that she was working on the trousers at the hospital. I told her my trousers weren't that important and to hold off till everything had worked it self out. It took awhile (not as long as I had really thought) but well worth it. I'm trying to remember the actual amount of time, but after so many years I can't remember exact dates. But the trousers have held up extremely well. They were well worth the wait.
                    [B]Jonathan Hartness[/B]
                    [I] G,G Grandson of Hiram Hartness Co. C, 4th NCST[/I]

Comment

"Dave,
                      She studied it before Galla Rock had a chance to do it. Ask Rick the story about it.

I remember them now! They are the ones who promised to make a jacket for park before they ever made any copies for the public, and they did not keep their promise. At least Galla Rock, after making excuse after excuse, finally sent us copies of the patterns they sell.

This my friends, is why vendors have difficulty gaining access to important items, too many people make all kinds of promises to gain access, then forget them once they get what they want.

[FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
                      [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Vicksburg Dave View Post
                        "Dave,

I remember them now! They are the ones who promised to make a jacket for park before they ever made any copies for the public, and they did not keep their promise. At least Galla Rock, after making excuse after excuse, finally sent us copies of the patterns they sell.

This my friends, is why vendors have difficulty gaining access to important items, too many people make all kinds of promises to gain access, then forget them once they get what they want.

Dave - sure you have the right folks? Contact me off line and I will detail the extraordinary challenges this couple have gone through just to be alive, let alone making uniforms at all.
                        Soli Deo Gloria
                        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I've come to know Tom and Becky very well over the last 10 plus years and my wife and I consider them personal friends. Their skills combined produce an awesome outcome. Tom & Becky made reference to finishing Paul's jacket on several of my visits to their home, and I know they were as glad to finish it as you were to get it Paul.

Tom and Becky have had to quit taking orders and were working to finish the ones they had. Some very major health issues have forced Tom and Becky to this decision.

Since recreating certain types of Confederate Jackets was their hobby and passion, they hate to turn away request for these coats as much as some of you hate to miss a round of golf, a weekend deer hunting, or attending a reenactment ! But a life threatning illness would change all that for most.

Maybe the NPS at Vicksburg could appreciate this from a different perspective, maybe not.
                          Dennis Neal
                          "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
                          David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
                          Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
                          [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
                          J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Often folks fail to perceive the life challenges of others, especially if they have not spent the time with the folks in question. Some folks assume the best of folks, others start off assuming the worst.

I have missed Becky's sweet (and bawdy) singing voice on many occassions during recent years. Years ago, sitting beside her while she sewed in a brigade meeting, I finally figured out why my buttonholes looked liked pig's eyes, and remedied that problem. She and Tom have experienced life challanges of astounding magnitude, and still turn out immpecable work.

I'm glad the Park got the jacket patterns from Galla Rock as well--they may rest assured that there are plenty more of them in the area. I know this because Sherry gave me an armload of them, along with trouser and shirt patterns, just weeks after Katrina, as we worked to make and distribute items for folks who had lost their kits in the flooding.
                            Terre Hood Biederman
                            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Hi,
                              I will post some links to some pictures of the jackets for those interested (just started a photobucket account - seems easy enough - unless this doesn't work!):-

Becky Nall's Jones type Columbus:-

Something I noticed on the Galla Rock website study of the original jacket:-

was a reference to how the (hand) stitching from the interior sleeve end where it attach's the slleve lining shows through on the outside cuff trim of the original jacket about 3/4" from the bottom (from Galla Rock website "Cuff View-attached not laid on, and though not visible in photo, the interior stitching of the self facing shows
                              through onto the outside of cuff 3/4" from bottom") - I then noticed this on Becky's jacket (you have to look hard, it won't show on a photo) - some attention to detail! The jacket came with Eagle I buttons.
                              Incidentally, when I spoke to her on 22nd August she said she was taking orders (unless that's changed since), an e-mail to her will clear up the latest situation if you are thinking of ordering.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              I will also post some links to pictures of the County Cloth (63rd Tenn "Taylor" type) Tait jacket for those interested as this is a variation that Mr Childs does not currently have illustrated on his website. Mr Childs supplied the jacket with Script I buttons and Eagle I's on the epaulettes (what he had in stock at the time). He said that the actual jacket (that he told me did survive Katrina thankfully) has Peter Tait marked Block I (that's what he said!) buttons on the front and epaulettes, not script I, presumably they would be lined import type Block I's. As I can't source them I replaced the buttons with a full set of Ben Tart's particularly nice Script I's that I understand he has exclusive rights for (marked "Superior Quality" and from Waterbury Becky tells me - she carries his buttons by the way) - but added these after the photos were taken. As I've asked before if anyone has access to any pictures of the original jacket it would great to see them! :tounge_sm

Regards, Paul Jonsson. (England, UK) :)

Comment

Working...
                              X