Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendors Registered with eVA

Hello all,

I was wondering if there are any approved vendors here on the AC or any other high quality vendors that someone may know of that are registered with eVA. In case anyone doesn't know what eVA is this is the definition off of their website(http://www.eva.state.va.us/learn-abo...bout-eva.htm): " eVA is a web-based purchasing system used by Virginia government. State agencies, colleges, universities and many local governments use eVA to announce bid opportunities, invite bidders, receive quotes, and place orders for goods and services."

I am asking this because the Civil War Round Table that I belong to is looking into purchasing new gear that is highly needed (bayonet scabbards, brogans and some other miscellaneous items). We plan on making a few large orders and in order to do that we need to go through our school and from there through eVA. We can only purchase things through vendors that are registered with eVA. Any help would be very appreciated.

Brian Holt
    [FONT=Century Gothic]Very Respectfully,
    Brian G. Holt
    VMI CWRT
    61st New York
    Co. E CVG
    [/FONT]

Re: Vendors Registered with eVA

Brian -
    While I appreciate what you're asking, I think it's a massive, monumentally bad mistake.

You'll get subpar gear as a result of this methodology. The school bid system is designed at simply getting the lowest cost on any particular item, there are precious few checks and balances to be sure you're getting anything of authentic patterns, materials or craftsmanship.

I deal with this almost every day of my life and you're just one mainstream viewer away from a disaster.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Paul,

I don't see why Brian's question is considered a mistake...before asking a vendor to take the time and investment to register as a vendor through the state, Brian asked if anyone was currently registered.

Scott Hanes went through this process several years ago when he and his wife Feney helped develope our VMI Cadet jackets.

Note: Brian asked for AC APPROVED VENDORS or HIGH QUALITY vendors...he wasn't asking for Billy Bob's Civil War Emporium.

While yes, most government purchasing programs require the lowest bidder...this would be a request to work with the VMI CWRT, Cadet Affairs and the VMI Museum to work with producing original examples within the collection. In other words, if quality wasn't there in the product...the Museum Director or Cadet in Charge of the VMI CWRT would have the right to refuse the bid.

Brian: I hope to be at the Spirits event in October...will there be a good turn out...let me know what I can do to help.

Paul B.~Former Strong Arm Hammer of the VMI CWRT
      Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
      (Loblolly Mess)
      [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Originally posted by paulcalloway View Post
        You'll get subpar gear as a result of this methodology. The school bid system is designed at simply getting the lowest cost on any particular item, there are precious few checks and balances to be sure you're getting anything of authentic patterns, materials or craftsmanship.
        Not always, the system is also designed to take into account that while one vendor may have a 9 button frock coat for $475 and another might have an item with the same description for $175, they also take quality into account.

Having been a registered vendor and going through this process for both the Federal and about 8 state vendor systems (Va included), the highest bid doesn't always miss out. My bid for the Airborne Museum was several thousand higher than the next lowest bid, but they took quality and authenticity into account to meet their needs and I got the contract.

In the end Paul, I think your rule is a good one to follow in general unless there is somone high up who can judge quality past the price tag.
        [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

If you have the ability to set your requirements high enough that Andy Fulks cant bid his mainstream frock against a correctly patterned frock then by all means have at it.

My experience with these purchasing programs in sports medicine has been pretty ugly.

Make sure you say NO SUBSTITUTES!
          Paul Calloway
          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
          Proud Member of the GHTI
          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

We plan on buying the appropriate and authentic gear that is needed to accurately portray VMI Cadets. Unfortunately we have to go through eVA because we are buying the gear for a state agency (VMI Civil War Round Table). If there is anyway we could bypass it we will, it is just a hassle. Thanks to all that have posted so far.

Paul, Definitely see you at Spirits.

Brian Holt
            [FONT=Century Gothic]Very Respectfully,
            Brian G. Holt
            VMI CWRT
            61st New York
            Co. E CVG
            [/FONT]

Comment

As past President of the CWRT there I can vouch for how difficult it is to go through the system and accomplish anything with all the red tape involved at the school and with the state system. I wish I had done more when I was there to get things off the ground in the purchasing department but it isnt easy with the daily schedule and finding time between class and training to run to the museum or set up meetings with the people who sign off on the requests we make for the CWRT.

The CWRT is headed in the right direction by pursuing quality items and correctly made gear that VMI cadets used during the war. Buying in bulk with state funds is nice and also helps those out who are new to the living history community at the school. Any other organization has loaner gear and things set up within the unit but the CWRT is different since the movers and shakers end up graduating and moving on in the world, the leadership and membership changes frequently. Alot of our loaner gear (which isnt much) is stuff that has been donated through various units who we have worked with in the past but items that cannot be used to correctly portray VMI cadets during the war (which is the focus of much of what the CWRT does during the school year).

In the past we have just gathered money up from a few guys and approached vendors such as Scott Hanes and Greg Starbuck to make items for the individuals to own and use. If the school is able and willing to purchase items for the roundtables use then it will be a great relief to many a cadet who is interested in participating in events but unable to fork out the money to buy their own kit.

Brian,
              If you need any help at all just give me a shout, I'll try to crank out a few shirts and send them yalls way.
              Cheers,
              [COLOR=Red]Kirby Smith[/COLOR]

Loblolly Mess

Too many ancestors who served and events on the schedule to post here...

Comment

Working...
              X