John Wedeward Frock Coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Wedeward Frock Coat

I got a chance to see an Infantry Uniform Coat (frock) made by John Wedeward this past weekend at September Storm. A customer walked into the tent and you can tell right off that it stood out among the hundreds of other frocks at the event.

The choice of materials, pattern, tailoring, piping, buttonholes and other details matched the many originals that I've examined. To boot, it fit the owner of the coat as if it were painted on him.

The coat was many years old, still not one seam had opened up and the fabric had held up under heavy use. I don't have any images, but if I see this reenactor again, I'll try to take some.

I'm not sure if John is still making these coats, but I thought I'd pass along my thoughts on John's work for all to read. Good job John!
    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Re: John Wedeward Frock Coat

Chris,
    Funny I should find this, I am the fella you met with the Wedeward frock coat.

I got it from an old salt who was down sizing his kit. If I had to guess I would have to say that he probably got it in the mid to late 90's. Like you said it has held up magnificently and definitely stands out among the others.

I absolutely love it and so do my mess mates who would love to get their hands on another one.

I don't have a digital camera at the current time, but I should be at Cedar Creek so if you'd like I'll bring the coat along so you could snap a few shots of it, and the satisfied customer!

Matt Sternad

Comment

Knowing John, there's a whole lot more than just period correct materials that went into that coat - probably about 4 cans of dip, 1/2 a carton of cigarettes and no less than a case of Miller High Life! :D

Yeah, John is a craftsman, there's no doubt.
      Paul Calloway
      Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
      Proud Member of the GHTI
      Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
      Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

I talked to John about this at Corinth in '05 after examining the one he was wearing (which he made). He told me that he'll probably never make another federal frock coat for anybody, felt it was too much of a pain making the darn things. Of course he has an original frock coat in his basement, so he had a good source to refer to.
        Preston Todd
        Hard Case Boys
        Top Rail Mess

Comment

Chris,

You wouldn't happen to be talking about the frock coat I was wearing at September Storm are you? If so, I didn't know John was the maker. It's a great coat. I only ask because you did seem to take a special interest in my coat, you and about 20 other people. I think Tim Sheads wanted to buy it off me, haha. Thanks again for making the extra effort on the Steubenville coat for me, it turned out perfect. Take care.

Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer
          Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Comment

Working...
          X