Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar Creek Supply Depot

To all:

Is there a general consensus on what Cedar Creek Supply Depot is making? I have seen their leathers and they look pretty darn good. I called them and Jim there said he makes everything by hand off of originals he has in his posession. I also like the way he has pics of originals next to his repros. Few people with Paki stuff are willing to do that on their website.
    Your thoughts?

Thanks- Johnny
    Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 10-04-2007, 05:54 PM.
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Re: Cedar Creek Supply Depot

Well I haven't had a chance to see his leathers in a while. My first pair of brogans was from him little over 6 years ago and they are still going good. I know he started importing some of his good, and is now back to making everything in house.
    Thanks
    Daniel MacInnis
    Adair Guards
    Commonwealth Grays
    [URL="http://www.westernindependentgrays.org"]WIG[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.westernfederalblues.org"]Western Federal Blues[/URL]

Comment

There is a review of the Cedar Creek Supply Depot M-1861 .69 Elongated Ball cartridge box in the Fall 2007 issue of The Watchdog. Bottom line, it will take the Pepsi challenge with boxes costing 50% more. Very good cartridge box for the money. Includes tins, but not a box plate or sling. Not EJ Thomas or Duvall, but it does not cost $225 either. 1/3 of that figure, in fact.

My only real complaint was that the perimeter stitching which correctly used # 3 linen thread was coated w/ beeswax only vs the rosin and beeswax concoction called "kit" which colors the thread a grayish hue. To my eye bright white thread just does not look quite right. Easy enough to rectify, though. As far as complaints go, that one is not the worst.

Cedar Creek Supply produces and offers goods primarily made in the US, the only exceptions are things like Euroarms muskets that are all made in Italy now. I have a hand sewn "campaigner" shirt from them with a detachable collar which is the only "off the rack" shirt currently recommended by The Watchdog. I wore it both Fri and Sat at Mill Springs and would have Sun too, except the civilian women were complaining.
      Last edited by Craig L Barry; 10-04-2007, 05:20 PM.
      Craig L Barry
      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Their painted canvas CS accouterments are most excellent as well. Same for their federal double bag. They also make the rare Mann accouterments upon request and have some nice CS forage caps and kepis.
        Bob Williams
        26th North Carolina Troops
        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

I, too, have a pair of brogans from Cedar Creek Supply Depot. And couldn't be more happy with them. Right out of the box they performed well and have never given me a bit of a problem (blisters, hot spots, etc.). As for customer service, the product was shipped in a very timely fashion and they were very pleasant to deal with (which in my book, goes a heck of a long way!).

I seem to recall this type of question coming up about once every year. If memory serves me correctly, the consensus is that:
          • Cedar Creek's products are much better than the usual sutler row items
          • there are vendors who provide what some believe to be better quality products
          • Material items in the "hobby" are much like the "hobby" in general: there is a sliding scale of historical accurateness
          • you get what you pay for
          • if you're happy with what you have, then isn't that all that matters?

So, armed with these nuggets of information, I guess it ultimately boils down to the old addage: "Do your own research and go with what you find to be the most accurate". :D
          Matthew Easley

Comment

Jim Lammers is a fine gent as well. His leather line is first rate.
            Frank Perkin

Comment

Jim Lammers came into the field merchant biz for the "right" reasons. By that I mean he produced leather goods for himself in the interest of making the article better than he could find elsewhere, and based his reproductions from originals in his collection. His comrades started asking him to make the boxes for them, and so on. Good bang for the buck on most Cedar Creek Supply Depot products that I have evaluated.
              Craig L Barry
              Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
              Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
              Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
              Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Mr. Easley and Mr. Barry have both said it best. I've known Jim some years now, and I own alot of his stuff for good reason - he uses good patterns and I've never been turned away at an event with his leathers. Are there better vendors out there - yes, but only due to added attention to detail such as the handtwisting of cord or oiling of leather, but they are also charge 75% or more for their goods. Jim offers reenactors a product to fit a man with champagne taste on a beer budget (much like myself for several years). If you are just starting out, are trying to upgrade on a budget, or are looking for some hard to find items like Mann's accoutrements, Jim is your man. I would heartily recommend his goods and service and I will continue to purchase from him and Miss Linda as the opportunity arrives. I'll leave you with a humerous incident from my dealings with Jim and Linda involving some brogans from them. I has purchased a pair that I was quite pleased with in form and function and was quite hard on them - in fact , in one year I had been to over 35 events, marched in them rain or shine (one event being a 68 mile march over 4 days) and never did one lick of maintenance, despite my best training. I walked into his tent at an event and he noticed a small tear in the leather on the side ( a tear that occurs in even the highest-end shoes after the abuse I gave them). He remembered that I had purchased them about a year ago and would not let me leave until I had a new pair on my feet (gratis) as he said that his shoes should last alot longer than that. I told him about my abuse to them, but he wouldn't hear it, we fought over it for a few minutes, and I lost - I walked out in those new brogans. THATS CUSTOMER SERVICE FOLKS.
                Last edited by Ross L. Lamoreaux; 10-11-2007, 09:50 AM.
                Ross L. Lamoreaux
                rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Mods delete please... slip of the typing fingers... ;) -Johnny
                  Johnny Lloyd
                  John "Johnny" Lloyd
                  SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Gents-

Yes, from what I have gathered from fellows I've talked to on the subject, when Jim imported leathers, he got burned by it somehow and no longer does this.

I think he's making a great attempt and this is to be commended.

Thanks- Johnny
                    Johnny Lloyd
                    John "Johnny" Lloyd
                    SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                    X