Richminville Tinware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richminville Tinware

Does any one know if they are still around? Their site and email are down.

Chris Fischer
    F-Troop

Re: Richminville Tinware

I saw on an 18th century board that the owner recently passed away. I don't have any confirmation of this, but it was posted that he had passed away from an illness.
    Chris Utley
    South Union Mills
    [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
    [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

Yes Jim did pass away, he was very good at what he did. But he didn't work good or play good with others.
      I have one very big heart burn with him, and that was his use of Lead solder. He was shut down in Portland because of it.
      When the weather is better I think I'll take a run down to his shop, I know he doesn't have any family his wife died some years ago.
      George MacGillis
      USCG ret. Disabled Vet
      Goldendale WA.

Comment

Mr MacGillis, had he moved away from Sumpter? (I'm from a valley south of Sumpter, used to pop through and say hi now and then years ago, but haven't talked to Jim recently.) We've a washtub he made... it's held up very well through four children. :)
        Regards,
        Elizabeth Clark

Comment

All the knowledge he had in his head is gone. His equipment and inventory was donated to an Historical Site near him.

I think that it is pretty hardcore of him to solder with lead as it would be the most authentic reproductions on the market.

Sam Hayle
          Tinsmith Mess

Comment

Mr Hayle, do you know if it went to the historic area of Sumpter Valley, or up to the Oregon Trail center in Baker City?
            Regards,
            Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Well that question is answered...bummers. On that note Mr. MacGillis and others. I am looking for sources of tinware and would be happy to know what you have to offer! The site I am going to only has the "mainstream" stuff and it would be nice to add some less common odds and ends.

Chris Fischer
              F-Troop

Personal Email: f_troop_guy@yahoo.com

as soon as I have an official email at the site I will forward that too.

Comment

Chris,

Have you checked with some of the Approved Vendors? We might be able to help you out.
                Chris Utley
                South Union Mills
                [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
                [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

Chris,

Check out our web page we have a slew of tinware from Pat Cunningham - many items are not your run of the mill sutler row tinware. There are also other approved vendors that do sell some tinware also. Check us all out.

Crabby
                  Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
                  John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Pat Cunninghams tin is pretty legendary stuff, I was lucky enough to carry some items way back when and they never lasted long, unfortunately Pat was always cutting back then making then cutting back so it was hard to get product.
                    If ol' Crabby carries his tin I would grab it...good stuff!
                    Joseph Hofmann

Comment

I knew Jim for over 20 years, I lived in Portland not far from one of his many shops. Jim was an Artist, the things he could do with metal. And a fast worker, I had a few business dealing with him over the years. But I never liked his use of Lead solder, sure it was Authentic. But shooting at each other in a battle with live ammo is authentic also. He always said that you couldn't Leach out enough lead in 100 years to hurt yourself (Using water). But how many kids have you seen with Orange juice in their cups, all that acid eating at the lead. That's why the EPA kept shutting him down.

But it was a sad day when he left us.
                      George MacGillis
                      USCG ret. Disabled Vet
                      Goldendale WA.

Comment

Comrades,

The one thing that he made that I always liked was his sheet-iron camp stove. It was a wonderful repro and worked like a champ. It looked, when you had a good set of coals under it, for all the world like a casemated iron clad with a full head of steam. However, that flat cooking surface was great in the morning for getting a large quantity of food going., and also controlling the fire area, etc.

He was a great guy, and I too am sorry to see him pass.

Respects,
                        Tim Kindred
                        Medical Mess
                        Solar Star Lodge #14
                        Bath, Maine

Comment

Working...
                        X