Tim Allen Hats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Allen Hats?

Is Tim Allen Hats still in business and if so what is his website address? I was unable to find it. Also, is he of the same quality as Tim Bender and Clearwater?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
    Robert F. Wallace
    38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
    North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Re: Tim Allen Hats?

Sadly, Tim Allen no longer makes hats.

Josh Sawyer
    LibertyRifles
    Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Comment

Tim Allen retired from hat-making not too long ago.
      Tristan Galloway

Comment

The announcement from last year:

Tim Allen retiring from hat making

Eric
        Eric J. Mink
        Co. A, 4th Va Inf
        Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

I would recommend Tim Bender. He is an approved vendor here, makes great hats and is a great guy to deal with.
          John Greenfield

GawdAwful Mess [url]www.gawdawfulmess.com[/url]

Comment

Yes - Tim is great to deal with and helped me with all the questions I had. In fact, my new hat is in the mail and I hope it will be here tomorrow (Monday.)
            [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
            Dirigo Grays
            CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
            Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

I"m looking at getting a Tim Bender one myself (Tan or Dk. Brown) and was wondering what a good choice would be? I already have a Mosby from Clearwater (see aviator picture) but would like another hat:).

Any opinions out there (my picture is there to try and compare)

PS: To put this from a different angle, since Tim Bender doesn't do events any more, how can you decide what style hat you like since you can't try them on at events like with Clearwater or Dirty Billy

Thanks in advance for the help....
              Robert F. Wallace
              North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

One great thing about Tim is you are not limited to what is listed on his web-site or catalog. I’d suggest looking at originals (either photos or first hand) and looking at period photos. I have two hats from Tim, a Beard (English import) and a custom. Here is a cool looking hat on one bad MF, Lewis Payne.
                Attached Files
                Rich Taddeo
                Shocker Mess
                "Don't do it, you're going to get hurt." Jerry Stiles @ Sky Meadows moments before I fell and broke my leg.

Comment

Got a bell crown from TB a couple weeks ago. Can't wait for a chance to wear it! I got a stretcher also. excellent investment. I've stretched two other hats already that had drawn up too small.
                  Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                  Old wore out Bugler

Comment

My Flat Top Bowler came today and I love it! I was torn between three hats (Flat Top Bowler, Med Crown Bowler and Flat top Crown) and Tim offered this advice:

“Something to think about as to the "flat top crown". That particular hat has a piece of hard pasteboard glued into the top of the crown to keep the shape. This is something you would not want to break or otherwise miss-shape. If you're using the hat in a military impression, and tend to take hard hits, you may want to steer away from it. Either the Med Crown bowler or the flat top bowler would be great choices, though I personally tend to favor the flat top bowler. You can even wear this hat in a modern setting and not pull a second look from anyone.”

Tim was a nice person to work with, told he his expected completion time frame and he let me know when the hat shipped. Basically, it was about two weeks from emails & phone call until it was in my hands. I have to admit, I was as impressed with his packaging job as the work he did on the hat! Oh – don’t forget to get a hat stretcher too.

Y.O.S.,
                    [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
                    Dirigo Grays
                    CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
                    Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

Marc,

Yeah I had a Bender Flat Top Crown and the hard pasteboard in the top of the hat annoyed the heck out of me, which is one of the reasons I just sold it. I do like the flat top bowler though.....I THINK my friend bought the medium crown bowler from Bender during a Bully Buy sell and he loves it. It's nice and soft after he wore it in a rainstorm one weekend at an event.

(Funny, I was looking at the same two hats you were....)
                      Robert F. Wallace
                      North State Rifles

Comment

Does anybody have any opinion on the quality of Dirty Billy's Hats? I had a bad customer relation experience with him back in 1999, but he did help me out with my hat a few years later when I saw him at a local event. I was wondering how his hats are now quality/authenticity, etc.

Thanks in advance....
                        Robert F. Wallace
                        North State Rifles

Comment

I have a beehive in a soft grey that I bought from Tim some 14 years ago. I pushed the top in and made a flat top out of it and it looks soooo good. Lots of sweat stains, a powder burn, a moth hole or two, one burn from an ember. Hell it looks great! Think I'll keep it another ten years LOL

Ronnie - Shreveport
                          Ronnie Hull
                          Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
                          Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
                          Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
                          2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
                          Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

Originally posted by robwall1861 View Post
                            Does anybody have any opinion on the quality of Dirty Billy's Hats? I had a bad customer relation experience with him back in 1999, but he did help me out with my hat a few years later when I saw him at a local event. I was wondering how his hats are now quality/authenticity, etc.

Thanks in advance....
                            If my two choices were Dirty Billy, and Tim Bender, I would go with Bender every time!
                            Quality of the hat is outstanding, and his customer service is excellent.

If you want a Tim Allen, (outstanding hats as well), check with the buy, sell and trade folder and every once in a while, you'll see one go up for sale.
                            Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 04-12-2008, 08:23 AM.
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                            Cincinnati

Comment

Agree with Aaron on this. Tim Allen produced a great hat, but you will have to look at a second hand purchase for this. Im holding on to the 3 that I have..

also agree on the Tim Bender choice..

A hat can make or break a impression.
                              [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
                              [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

Working...
                              X