Carrying Flags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carrying Flags

"While preparing to leave Asheville, the Buncombe Riflemen received new Confederate colors, a gift from six young ladies of Asheville. The daughters of militia Col. Nicholas Woodfin and four of their friends stitched the flag, using material from their own silk dresses. Miss Anna Woodfin and her father presented the flag to Captain W.W. McDowell and the Riflemen in a public ceremony that moved the stoutest heart to sympathy and tears. The Buncombe Riflemen later became the color company for the state's first regiment(1st NC Volunteers) and carried this flag on the first battlefield of the Civil War."(Bethel)
    "More Terrible Than Victory" by Craig Chapman

Mark Berrier
    North State Rifles
    Mark Berrier

Comment

If you are ever in MN, stop by our capital. In the rotunda, we have the flags of our Civil War regiments proudly displayed. I haven't look recently but if i recall, the stars were each a single piece of fabric sewn on.
      [U]Nathan Willar[/U]
      1st MN Vol. Inf.

Comment

I have as close a copy of the 3rd Ark flag as you can get. It is the standard Artillery flag dimensions. The original has each star hand sewn. The flag was made by the ladies of Fredericksburg. Every change of color is a differant piece of hand sewn cloth. On one side of the flag ( if you were looking at the flag flying in the wind the print would be on the side in which the pole would be on your right) is 3rd Ark. It is in the center of the flag covering the center star reading from the bottom to the top. It too is a separate piece of material with the lettering painted on. This flag has been scrutinized very closely many times. I made arrangements to view the flag the Monday before we left Arkansas going to G'burg. It is all cotten.
        We carry the flag only when we go east of the river in ANV country. The rest of the time it stays at my house furled in a temp regulated area.
        [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

If you are interested in reproducing any Pennsylvania flags, you can make an appointment with the Capital Preservation Commitee in Harrisburg, PA. They have almost every PA Regimental flag issued by the Commonwealth plus a few that weren't. Contact Jason Wilson : http://cpc.state.pa.us/main/cpcweb/c...person=jwilson . They're very helpful. I've been there several times to view the colors. You can also check them out on the website.

Tschus,
          Unteroffizier Mohney
          Eric Mohney

Comment

Originally posted by Parault View Post
            I have as close a copy of the 3rd Ark flag as you can get.
            Did you have this made by a vendor or by an independent seamstress?
            Luke Gilly
            Breckinridge Greys
            Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Originally posted by lukegilly13 View Post
              Did you have this made by a vendor or by an independent seamstress?

Luke,

Our flag was sewn by a gentleman that was our former Captain. The flag is completely hand sewn.
              [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

Luke,

In case you haven't seen it, here's a Link to the New York State Military Museum's New York Battle Flag Preservation Project pages. They show various NY flags, from Flank Markers to National Colors. Look under Conserved Flags. Hope this is helpful.

The New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center tells the story of New York State’s rich military history and the service and sacrifice of its citizens through interpretive exhibitions, public programs, and the collection and preservation of artifacts and archival material related to the state’s military forces and its veterans.
                John Taylor

Comment

This link is VERY helpful! thanks for the post.
                  Anyone belong to a unit that is restoring a Virginia Infantry regimental, battle, or national flag? I'm looking for pictures of originals or info/specs.
                  I have attended the MOC in Richmond and enjoyed it thoroughly...however, it's been about 6-8 years. I need to go back and look at a few.
                  I have access to an original federal flag and I plan to start re-production of it soon (as soon as I finish my jacket project which needs button holes only). I will post pictures as I work for constructive criticism.
                  Keep me up on the VA confederate flag.
                  Luke Gilly
                  Breckinridge Greys
                  Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

A fresh fish popping in here - I used to do quite a bit of Confederate color production for our battalion the 125th-130th anniversary era, but I never could find a really correct wool bunting. Are there any good wool bunting sources now?

Thanks,
                    Greg
                    Greg Walden

Comment

Working...
                    X