"candle box"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "candle box"

I have seen an item available from several sutlers, usually listed as a "candle box". It consists of a tin box which, when opened, allows a small candle holder to fold out. When closed, there appears to be enough room for one or more candles plus some matches. Is this an authentic item, or just the typical "sutler row" well-they-COULD-have-had-this-if-they-had-thought-of-it farb stuff?

Also, who sells a truly authentic match safe suitable for a knapsack?
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Re: "candle box"

Hi,

E.J. Thomas has a original for sale, but it is $75.00 . S&S Sutlery has some match safes for sale, and Ezra Barnhouse Goods also has match safes for sale.
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Kasmar View Post
      Hi,

E.J. Thomas has a original for sale, but it is $75.00 . S&S Sutlery has some match safes for sale, and Ezra Barnhouse Goods also has match safes for sale.
      Thanks! Now, what about the "candle box"?
      [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman Dick View Post
        Also, who sells a truly authentic match safe suitable for a knapsack?
        Perhaps the larger question is why anyone would want a match safe the size of a knapsack. ;)
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Best I have ever been able to tell is that the item in question is a fantasy piece. I have asked both sutlers and manufacturers about the "candle box" and no one has ever been able to produce documentation on what the item is based upon.

There are several smaller orginal "candle boxes" that are documented to the period but these are only 2 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1/2" roughly. They hold a single (small!) candle and matches. What the original terminology and use was I still have never run across.

Patrick Cunningham

Comment

I have ran across a few examples of "candle boxes," however all of them have been made of wood. Most have had some sort of divided interior and in a larger range of sizes. I believe that I have a few photos somewhere, but am in the middle of a move, so don't have access to my computer.

Jason
            [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Jason Huether[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
            Lazy Skinner's Society

[I]If the Republic goes down in blood and ruin, let its obituary be written thus: "Died of West Point."[/I]
            Brig Gen James A Garfield, 1862

Comment

Originally posted by P. M. Cunningham, Tinner View Post
              Best I have ever been able to tell is that the item in question is a fantasy piece. I have asked both sutlers and manufacturers about the "candle box" and no one has ever been able to produce documentation on what the item is based upon.

There are several smaller orginal "candle boxes" that are documented to the period but these are only 2 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1/2" roughly. They hold a single (small!) candle and matches. What the original terminology and use was I still have never run across.

Patrick Cunningham

I totally agree with you!
              Attention, I do not say that did not exist this candle box or support candles...
              I say... Did the soldiers possess this type of equipment in their bag? I think that the answer is... NO!
              Several reasons in that:
              It is necessary to transport him.
              It is expensive.
              The people of period, live with the sun.
              Camps at night, do not need a lighting, except camp fires to be alive maintained for morning and guard. (They are not Christmas trees one CW camp ;))
              Etc.
              And had they often candles and when they had it, had they it all? I think that there also the answer is... No!
              It is "the floklore" for me as object...
              William Miconnet
              French Mess
              AES
              BGR & IPW Survivor
              Never ever give up!
              In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
              I believe!

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                Perhaps the larger question is why anyone would want a match safe the size of a knapsack. ;)
                Charles,
                Maybe he is looking for a knapsack the size of a match safe, although easier to carry I'm pretty sure you will need to pack light (no pun intended)!!!! :tounge_sm
                Attached Files
                Bill Lomas

[B][SIZE="4"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]E. J. Thomas Mercantile[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
                [FONT="Century Gothic"]P.O. Box 332
                Hatboro, PA 19040
                [URL="http://www.ejtmercantile.com"]www.ejtmercantile.com[/URL]
                [email]info@ejtmercantile.com[/email][/FONT]

Comment

Magnificent :) :) :)
                  William Miconnet
                  French Mess
                  AES
                  BGR & IPW Survivor
                  Never ever give up!
                  In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
                  I believe!

Comment

Please check the attached photos. Is this the type of "candle box" the thread is referring to? This was carried by Captain Stephen V. Shipman of the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry. I obtained this in 1960 along with a number of other goodies from a dealer who bought them from Shipman's grand- daughter. It is made of metal and has a japanned finish. Original candle still in place, and a match in the match section. There is a partial label on the cover, but I cannot make out what it says. The grand-daughter was Swedish, so?
                    Steve Sullivan
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by rogue; 07-31-2008, 03:28 PM. Reason: yet another speling irer.

Comment

Hi,

Very cool orginial. Thanks for posting the pictures.
                      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

It is the type I was refering to in my post. Nice to see that one and have the history behind it. Been 10 or 15 years since that one was borrowed and loaned out to me :tounge_sm.

Patrick Cunningham

Comment

That reminds me to ask Keith Bartsch about his candle lantern project from the pre-Reoccupation of Fort Sumter days. Keith was seeking industrial mica for the flameproof "glass," but I don't recall if the price scared him off, or the project was shelved for other reasons. Now that he has survived the Oklahoma Bar Exam, Keith has resurfaced. This is a good thing, and a great way to recycle lawyer jokes.

Seems to me nearly every time the knapsack matchsafe argument comes along the general consenus swings to these were postwar items and not acceptable for CW era events, but new data could have come along in the past year or so to refute this. Any thoughts? I'd be happy if someone would repop the wooden matchsafes, or just find a box of them sitting in a warehouse leftover from some 1950s domestic fish hook manufacturer. For clarification, please visit the Arabia.
                          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Dave Taylor had one for sale recently, similar to the one Mr. Sullivan posted. I believe it had an inkwell in it as well. I thought about buying it, but it was a little more than I wanted to spend. I have pictures somewhere and will post them when I find them.
                            Last edited by August77; 07-31-2008, 12:54 PM. Reason: wrong name
                            Bill Lomas

[B][SIZE="4"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]E. J. Thomas Mercantile[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
                            [FONT="Century Gothic"]P.O. Box 332
                            Hatboro, PA 19040
                            [URL="http://www.ejtmercantile.com"]www.ejtmercantile.com[/URL]
                            [email]info@ejtmercantile.com[/email][/FONT]

Comment

Its accuracy may be up for grabs, but it does a great job of focusing light on that 2am suturing job on a 36-hours-in-a-day field hospital rotation. Sort of a "poor man's" dark lantern.

Mine is not like that Transformers-inspired original. :wink_smil Mine opens up book-style and out pops the holder in the center. There is enough room for a matchbox and spare half-burned candle.

Comment

Working...
                              X