Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pewter button myth

Stephen,

Thank you for posting that information. You would not believe the shock and disbelief I have received from a number of customers when I have told them over the past year that I will no longer supply that button and the reason why.

"There is simply no evidence that cast white metal buttons were issued by the Federal government after 1856."
    Jim Kindred

Comment

Bravo Step-hen!
      Three cheers and a tiger for research.
      Why did you not run for the Senate from MN?
      My son in Texas has dug a great number of these four hole buttons, and ALL from pre-Civil War sites.
      Steve Sullivan

Comment

Friends just to add a short metallurgy detail.
        tin button( Stephen you call them sheet iron buttons) are made of sheet iron (Fe)which is plated with tin( Sn) to protect it from rusting.
        pewter: pewter is an alloy of tin (Sn) and at least lead( Pb). In the case of buttons I am sure the lead contents was rather high. That is what you have meant with cheap materials Stephen.
        The Ord. Man. 1861 says: pewter- 4 tin 1 lead ( parts)
        I am sure for buttons and other stuff they sinmply took more of the cheaper lead .
        This only to make this clear fro the readers not that much involved in metals. Unfortunately the terms in English are not that specific.
        Jan H.Berger
        Hornist

German Mess
        http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Bummer View Post
          I
          As I mentioned, I have some original dug ones and have seen others, so I would have to assume they were out there somewhere. But let's say (as I believe) they are 1820-30's military pants buttons. That would leave only old pre-war militia stuff or maybe some CSA source (again pre-war militia) as the source for them appearing out there. Either case, not a very typical button to be found on Civil War sites, particualrly mid and late war suites.

Yes, they were there--they've been dug, but how many, how common? I am not a digger, but someone like Jim Mayo will most likely tell you that hardly any have ever been found on CW sites. I believe he digs mostly later war Petersburg sites (sorry if I'm wrong), and I'd bet he doesn't know of a single one dug around those later war sites. Jim can you shed some light as to what's been dug? I do know that I haven't seen them in the digger's junk button bins at the relic shows (I don't dig but I do buy).
          Can't remember digging any in Petersburg. I will have to go and look in my junk box to be sure. I am glad this thread started. I am of the opinion that the four hole pewter buttons are way over represented.
          Jim Mayo
          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but....

Stephen asked about the 1858 Danish Exchange trousers. I was at the U.S. Army Quartermaster museum this past May looking at the J.T. Martin Sack Coat, Trousers, and a Federal Haversack. While talking with the Curator Luther Hanson, he mentioned going over to look at the Danish Exchange. When I saw this thread yesterday I emailed him and this is his response.

Dear Tim Koehn, They are definitely four hole pewter buttons on both pairs of the trousers. From the photographs you can see the stiching very clearly into the four holes. Hope this helps. Sincerely, Luther QM Museum

I have asked him to email me pictures if he can and I will post them here when recieved.
            Timothy J. Koehn
            Boone's Louisiana Battery
            Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
            http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

Tim,

The question should be clear to Luther Hanson that we are talking about cast buttons and not stamped.
              Jim Kindred

Comment

Jim,

Luther says they look cast. He emailed me the attached picture. Maybe someone can take the file and magnify the buttons. I hope this helps.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, just knew a source and went to him to help y'all out, so don't shoot the messenger. This is what I do for a living, find information for people. Gotta love librarians.
                Attached Files
                Timothy J. Koehn
                Boone's Louisiana Battery
                Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
                http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

They look like plated sheet iron to me, based on the darker color on the rims than in the sunken centers, which would have not received any wear or handling. I'll see if I can get a good closeup to post.

Stephen Osman

Comment

The photo is pretty inconclusive regarding the buttons...but ya really gotta love those waist pleats! Tres chic.

Howdy Steve...Been a long time!

Paul McKee
                    Paul McKee

Comment

Nice to hear from Paul again!
                      The buttons in Denmark are positively tinned sheet iron and NOT cast white metal. Here are photos of waist and suspender ones, and a pair of cuff buttons - all photographs of the 1858 Danish exchange mounted trousers! So this seems to confirm the NARA documentation that Schulkill Arsenal got rid of all their white metal buttons in 1856.

Stephen Osman
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X