Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooded (Weller) Overcoat

Hi,

I am looking for information on the Hooded (Weller) Overcoat, such as what buttons and fabric were used on the original. I am also looking for any photos of the coat, so if anyone can post some that would be great. Thanks
    Andrew Kasmar

Re: Hooded (Weller) Overcoat

There is an image on this web site, courtesy of Geoff Walden:

Andy Ackeret
    A/C Staff
    Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

Andrew,
      I have the sources at home and I will check those as soon as I get there to make sure i'm not telling you a falshood as I have not viewed them since I made mine. I believe the original buttons were thought to be of goodyear rubber....A popular civilian button at the time. The lining was of course the pillow ticking. The jacket itself was probably a gray jean (but the original has oxidized to a nice light brown tent). Some believe the jacket maybe had a brown hue to it originally...others believe gray.
      Does anyone know if the jacket is still viewable? I am going to Frankfort in a couple of hours.....I wouldn't mind dropping by the museum tomorrow to see this thing!
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

You won't be able to see it. It's locked away in the KY Historical Society.(Unless they've put it back out here lately).
        Rick Bailey
        Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for the information. Does anyone sell goodyear rubber buttons?
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I purchased one made by Chris Daly a few years back. I know he is not full time anymore, but maybe he has the pictures and info you are looking for.
            Marc Riddell
            1st Minnesota Co D
            2nd USSS Company C
            Potomac Legion

Comment

Andrew,

You can try blockade runner, they lean more towards mainstream, though some of their buttons are diamonds in the ruff. They have them in 7/8 & 5/8.

Dave Bushmole

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the link Mr. Bushmole. I have looked at CJ Daley's page on the hooded covercoat, but it did not have the information I was looking for, but thanks for the idea.
                Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Andrew,

I purchased a Weller overcoat last spring on this forum. It was made by Mr. Daley. Upon receipt I was delighted with the fit and finish of the coat but questioned the coin buttons that were on it. I emailed Chris as to what buttons were common on this coat as I have seen them with wooden buttons as well. He responded that most evidence points to the coin butons as being the most widely used, and that is why he uses them on his coats. I only have his word as to whether this was the case.
                  David Parent

The Cracker Mess
                  MLK Mess
                  Black Hat Boys
                  WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

Hi,
                    What I have been planning on doing is to put either my brass coin buttons, or to buy some goodyear rubber buttons and put them on theovercoat.

Andrew
                    Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 08-29-2008, 05:50 PM.
                    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I got my Weller Overcoat from Ben Tart. I couldnt be happier with mine.
                      I supplied the hard rubber ( Goodyear) buttons.
                      Ben's a wealth of info, and his prices are very hard to beat.
                      He's also a pleasure to deal with.
                      Most Sincerely
                      Bob Brewer
                      Gaithersburg,MD
                      Robert Brewer

Comment

Andrew,

Just an FYI that the Goodyear buttons sold by the Blockade Runner are in fact plastic. If you want original Goodyear buttons try eBay and look for a set. If you want wood buttons call S&S sutlers, they sell some nice two hole wood buttons copied from those on the mystery jacket at GNMP. Otherwise, I would agree with Chris Daley that coin buttons would be widely available to the civilian population such as those that manufactured the original Weller overcoat for the 2nd Kentucky. Some day I would love to see all the folks with their hooded overcoats portray the 2nd at an event, there's nothing like a couple of hundred little Yodas in a line!

Best,

Dan
                        Dan Wambaugh
                        Wambaugh, White, & Company
                        www.wwandcompany.com
                        517-303-3609
                        Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Hi,

Dan Wambaugh
                          Just an FYI that the Goodyear buttons sold by the Blockade Runner are in fact plastic.
                          Thanks for the heads up.

Dan Wambaugh
                          Some day I would love to see all the folks with their hooded overcoats portray the 2nd at an event, there's nothing like a couple of hundred little Yodas in a line!

That would be pretty cool!!!!!!:D
                          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I too have a Daley Weller. It's fairly light, but combined with a Frock, it will keep you warm at the coldest events. Mine came with military Eagle buttons, but I replaced them with wooden ones. Dan is right about making you look like Yoda.
                            Frank Perkin

Comment

Second the Ben Tart recommendation...I bought one in a blank from him for about the price of an RD. Summac natural blend jean...natural wool linning...VERY warm...VERY good quality! Love it!
                              Luke Gilly
                              Breckinridge Greys
                              Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Working...
                              X