Trans-Mississippi Depot Jackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trans-Mississippi Depot Jackets

Found an intresting picture on page 272 of a book called, "The South Was Right" by Donald Kennedy. Purports to be Pvt Frederick Swint Hood of the 28th Louisiana Volunteer Infantry. Enlisted at the age of 16 and fought at the Battles of Mansfield and Pleasant Hill. Picture is attributed to Mr. Keith Canterbury of Simsboro, Louisiana.

Researched Pvt Hood and found this reference on http://pipesplanet.com/grays28th/index.html

"Hood, Frederick,Pvt. Co. D. 28th (Gray's) La. Inf. Appears on Roll for July and Aug., 1863 (only Roll on file), En. April 24, 1863, Alexandria, La."

Also confirmed it on the NPS Civil War Soliders and Sailors System,

"Frederick Hood (First_Last)
    Regiment Name 28 (Gray's) Louisiana Inf.
    Side Confederate
    Company D
    Soldier's Rank_In Private
    Soldier's Rank_Out Private
    Alternate Name
    Notes
    Film Number M378 roll 14

I have written to Mr. Canterbury requesting a clean copy of the photograph and any other information he may have on Pvt. Hood. Still waiting for a reply. In the meantime I thought I'd post the copy I have (poor as it is) for discussion.
    Attached Files
    Steve Boecker
    Co. A First Texas Infantry
    28th Louisiana IPW

"Too late, sir, the battle is won.”
    Richard Taylor after the Battle of Mansfield to a messenger from Kirby Smith ordering him to retreat

Comment

Hi,

Thank you very much for posting the picture and the information. While the picture is not very clear, could the jacket he is wearing be a Houston Depot? It seems to follow the discription of the Houston Depot jacket.
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I like the relatively angular margins on the collar of Frederick Hood's jacket - this is a feature that seems quite common on the few good images we have of Trans-Miss Depot jackets. The number of buttons (5?) is, however, a bit few for specified products. What would be good to know is his enlistment date so we could eliminate it being a pre-1863 image. Good find!
        KC MacDonald
        Founding Member Lazy Jacks Mess
        Proud Galveston BOI (Born on Island)
        Gr-Gr Grandson of 5 Confederates (and one Yankee...)

[SIZE="1"]Currently residing in an ex-Tailoring Sweatshop built in Huntingdon, England in 1851[/SIZE]

Comment

It appears to be a rather rough but not particularly thick fabric, though its a bit big on him and that may deceive. All together, a rather non-descript 5 button jacket that could be anything from a mass produced depot item to a commutation uniform. KC is right that it would good to know when he enlisted. Good find indeed. How does it compare to the "5 Amigos" picture KC?
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

[QUOTE="Hood, Frederick,Pvt. Co. D. 28th (Gray's) La. Inf. Appears on Roll for July and Aug., 1863 (only Roll on file), En. April 24, 1863, Alexandria, La."
            [/QUOTE]

From my preliminary research I believe he enlisted on April 24, 1863 in Alexandria, Louisiana. Hopefully if I get a reply from Mr. Canterbury I can learn more details about Pvt. Hood. If that happens I will post them in this thread.
            Steve Boecker
            Co. A First Texas Infantry
            28th Louisiana IPW

"Too late, sir, the battle is won.”
            Richard Taylor after the Battle of Mansfield to a messenger from Kirby Smith ordering him to retreat

Comment

When you look closely at the Arkansas '5 amigos' image there is a surprising degree of variability there, especially when you consider that the jacket materials look similar. There look to be 4, 6, 7, 7 and ? buttons on these gentlemen. There are at least two 'right angle' collars similar to the Frederick Hood's, and the cut of the lower front margin has a similar 'rounded right angle' on two of them as well, while another has a very different broad curve. The gent's at the rear left (with 6 buttons) looks to be the most similar. I attach the image below.
              Attached Files
              KC MacDonald
              Founding Member Lazy Jacks Mess
              Proud Galveston BOI (Born on Island)
              Gr-Gr Grandson of 5 Confederates (and one Yankee...)

[SIZE="1"]Currently residing in an ex-Tailoring Sweatshop built in Huntingdon, England in 1851[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
              X