Hot Water Cornbread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Water Cornbread!

Ok fellas, got a question here. I got a recipe from my grandmother on how to make hotwater cornbread, and I was wondering how hard it would be to make at an event just using a small sheet iron skillet!
    Shelby Hull
    3rd LA/ 48thOVI
    24thLA
    Independent Rifles

Shiloh '06
    Bummers
    Before the Breakout
    Gettysburg '13

Re: Hot Water Cornbread!

Sounds like it would be a good idea to try it out at your next campaign event.If it cooks up ok and tastes alright,then pass the recipe on to the rest of us.
    Ron Moen
    Co.A, First Texas Infantry (Retired)
    CWPT
    E Clampus Vitus

Comment

Sounds interesting. I'd give it a backyard trial run first, though.

Ron Myzie

Comment

Works nearly the same way as the common corndodgers made at many events from the cornmeal issue, except you'll want a little more heat on top, which is why a Dutch oven (perhaps the reason the rebs issued so many of them) works so well. If the top is doughy, just flip it over for fried cornbread. As mentioned earlier, piddle around with this at home until you get a better idea of heat distribution and battter consistency. The hot water releases the gluten, and really makes it all stick together nicely.

If you happen to be around a pile of bricks at an event, you can endeavor to make and fire up a single holer bake oven in about 30 minutes. If a piece of sheet metal isn't available (and your comrades don't want you to use their rammers) make the lentils from ironwood (a type of beach) or elm. This is fun, but you have to have a time and place to do it.
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Hey Charles-How long would you have to soak/boil lentils made of ironwood to make them edible? Do you think sitting them on the lintel to soak for a day or two would help;)
          Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Give out the recipe. We have a brick oven at our site. I've made pies and bread I would like to try this recipe.
            Dave Warringer Crpl
            Member Squatting Bullfrog Mess
            124th NYSV Orange Blossoms
            "Squat, my Bullfrogs."
            In Memory of Rufus Warringer
            20th NYS Militia Co B
            Killed at Antietum Sept 17, 1862

Comment

Leland,

Don't get too cocky, as I still see "carnish" and "scafflin" in certain bid documents from time to time. No, I'm not kidding.
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]
              [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Recipe for the Hot Water Water Corn Bread IS:

1 cup cornmeal
                1/2 tsp. salt
                2 tsp flower
                1 cup boilin water

Mix Together and fry until golden brown.

This is from my grandmother so i really dont know how good this receipe is but here it is.
                Shelby Hull
                3rd LA/ 48thOVI
                24thLA
                Independent Rifles

Shiloh '06
                Bummers
                Before the Breakout
                Gettysburg '13

Comment

Hi,

I have used a similar recipe to this, and it works very well. What I did different, was that I did not measure anything, but just added what looked like the right amount of flour, cornmeal, water, and salt. Thanks for positng the recipe.
                  Andrew Kasmar

Comment

unless I am mistaken, it sounds like this is essentially fried pollenta.
                    (aka - Fried cornmeal mush)
                    John Wickett
                    Former Carpetbagger
                    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I believe you are correct. Cornmeal mush is essentially what I make at least.

Andrew
                      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Originally posted by PvtHull48thovi View Post
                        Recipe for the Hot Water Water Corn Bread IS:

1 cup cornmeal
                        1/2 tsp. salt
                        2 tsp flower
                        1 cup boilin water

Mix Together and fry until golden brown.

This is from my grandmother so i really dont know how good this receipe is but here it is.
                        What kind of flower do you recommend?

My grandmother used to swear by nasturtiums, but i find it hard to come by. Do you think that I could just leave it out or would that change the taste too much?
                        [U]Nathan Willar[/U]
                        1st MN Vol. Inf.

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
                          Yeppp!
                          I take pre-cooked pollenta,
                          (i get it from weise market, and comes in the shape of bologna).
                          Roll it in muslin, or brown waxed (butchers) paper right before I
                          leave for the event, store in haversack.
                          At meal time cut off a slice or 2 and fry it in bacon, ham, pork, or salt pork grease.
                          [B]Rick Dennis, Major
                          US Artillery Reserve Inc.
                          [url]www.artilleryreserve.org[/url][/B]

[B][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"Infantry is merely a buffer between two warring armies know as Field Artillery"[/FONT][/B]

Comment

Yes, this is essentially corn meal mush that you can even find on the back of "Alber's" brand corn meal. Literally, you're making grits only corn meal in place of hominy. Then the sticky, glue like dough is fried.

My grandmother from Arkansas told me about this and said at times this was about all they would have. Instead of growing tired from eating it, she was rather fond of it as it brought back some good memories for her. I was told to add a little onion if possible.

Make some at home first and enjoy. It's good stuff.
                            James Ross

Comment

You might want to add some sugar to above recipe to sweeten it up 1 1/2 tbs worked well. Alsoyou might want to consider some honey instead.Like Rick stated you can roll it up in some butcher paper toss in a poke sack and your a good for the weekend.
                              Scott Schrimpe
                              124 N.Y.S.V.
                              "Orange Blossom's"

Hedgesville Blues
                              Va.2E
                              "Shocker Mess"

Comment

Working...
                              X