"Drug" use during wartime...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Drug" use during wartime...

I did a bit of searching here through the forum, but in the end, I came up dry in trying to uncover any real in-depth conversation regarding the subject of drug use amongst soldiers during the war. We often hear the term "Soldier's Disease" being tossed around, a phrase that supposedly originated during the Civil War (though the "disease" itself is debated by scholars and historians):

Soldier's Disease: Widespread addiction following massive administration of opiates during the Civil War -- is the earliest and most often repeated example of a drug problem before the narcotics laws. The story exemplifies several basic themes used in support of continued drug prohibition -- addiction is easy to acquire, hard to kick, and is a publicly noticed, i.e. asocial, problem. Soldier's Disease, though, is a myth. Not one case of addiction was reported in medical records or the literature of the time; under ten references were made in the Nineteenth Century to addiction the cause of which was the Civil War; and no perjorative nickname for addicted veterans, like Soldier's Disease, appeared in the literature until 1915, and it did not become part of the Conventional Wisdom of drug experts until almost a century after Appomattox.

Now, while I understand that both morphine and opium distribution/consumption was prevalent as used for surgical aides (as well as cannabis having been considered a "new" treatment in relieving pain), I wonder how the leap from medical usage of these substances made the transfer to recreational use and how that is reflected in the history; found, perhaps, in some obscure texts, or, evidenced by some of your wisdoms. I would be very interested to see how this topic stands up as a possible worthy discussion.

I shall begin with an interesting quote from Captain Charles E. Waddell, 12th Virginia:
    "I was nearly exhausted when we reached bivouac & threw myself on the ground to sleep but was so wearied were my limbs, sleep for a while was not obtained. When, however Morhine [sp?] wrapped one in his embraces I slept profoundly & awoke just before sunrise."
    There is also citation from the book Dan McCook's Regiment: A History of the 52nd OVI in which mention is made of the regimental doctor accidentally overdosing on morphine and being found dead in his tent during winter quarters in 1864.

With those examples given (and they are very limited in horizon), I appeal to the better nature of those members here on the forum that are knowledgeable on such matters so that an educational session of learning might arise out of this somewhat overlooked aspect of the war.

Re: "Drug" use during wartime...

Charles Brandegee, who was a 3-year volunteer with the 5th NY and transferee to the 146th NY, wrote in a letter home that while the 5th was in Fort Federal Hill in Baltimore that (and I paraphrase, as I am at the office) "nearly everyone smokes tobacco...and some of them smoke toke weed". Words to that effect (although the "toke weed" is his words; it may have been written as "tokeweed" or "toke-weed" but I am not sure offhand).

I've never been able to prove that he means THC, although to be it sounds like he is clearly differentiating whatever it is from tobacco. I have read of sutler's inventories containing maple leaf and cabbage cigars, so I suppose it may mean other things than marijuana. I've not been able to track down any particular etymology on "toke" or "tokeweed" that does not lead in some way to marijuana, although consulting an original botany or naturalist text might yeild some results.
    Tom Scoufalos
    [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2165[/IMG]

"If you don't play with your toys, someone else will after you die." - Michael Schaffner, Chris Daley, and probably other people too...

Comment

Very interesting, Tom...very interesting indeed. It would make sense that Charles Brandegee would be referring to cannabis, however, you are also correct in your skepticism; for the term "toke" would have to predate the 1960's (never mind what the term "tokeweed" might suggest, should it actually be a term).

Webster's Dictionary: Toke (n.) 1968
      "Inhalation of a marijuana cigarette or pipe smoke," U.S. slang, from earlier verb meaning, "To smoke a marijuana cigarette."
      Also, when you're at home and no longer at work, please re-post the full measure of the quote you began, as I am curious as to what the paraphrasing left out.
      Last edited by WoodenNutmeg; 10-08-2008, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodenNutmeg View Post
        "I was nearly exhausted when we reached bivouac & threw myself on the ground to sleep but was so wearied were my limbs, sleep for a while was not obtained. When, however Morhine [sp?] wrapped one in his embraces I slept profoundly & awoke just before sunrise."
        There was discussion on a similar version of that quote earlier, about whether it referred to the use of the drug morphine or was a reference to the common period expression "in the arms of Morpheus" (the god of sleep).

That's not to discount the use of recreational or "self medicating" drugs among soldiers--just that I don't think that can be used as an iron-clad example, without figuring out a way to be sure it doesn't refer to Morpheus.

I'd like to learn more about the "toke weed" quote as well. I've not seen a good etymology of "toke," but wonder if it might have some connection with torquette, "France and Louisiana [slang]: a plug or twist of tobacco leaves." Torquer also shows up in period French-English dictionaries as one who rolls or twists tobacco. There's a phonetic resemblance, but that still doesn't help us know what "toke weed" was, as it could be any tobacco substitute even if torque[tte]/toke was period slang for tobacco.

I did some research on a well-documented opium-addicted Confederate soldier, George B. Fitzgerald, for the Immortal 600 event, but the trail led pretty much toward civilian pre-war addiction and/or mental illness, and he may never have served more than a few months in the army before being kicked out for drunkenness. There was no doubt, though, that he begged opium in some form from doctors whenever he could, when he was a prisoner of war, and was widely recognized as dependent on it by his fellow prisoners.

From the quote in the original post:

Not one case of addiction was reported in medical records or the literature of the time
        I have no idea what they're talking about, but addiction to various forms of opium was well known, before, during and after the war, and widely reported. Here are some comments published by the Massachusetts state Board of Health in 1872, concerning its use by veteran soldiers:

Has observed that veteran soldiers who contracted the habit in the army hospitals are still addicted to the use of opium.
        Thinks that returned soldiers are rather prone to the habit, having contracted it in the army.
        The opium habit frequently begins in the use of opium medicinally. Veteran soldiers, as a class, are addicted to it...
        Hank Trent
        hanktrent@voyager.net
        Hank Trent

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent View Post
          There was discussion on a similar version of that quote earlier, about whether it referred to the use of the drug morphine or was a reference to the common period expression "in the arms of Morpheus" (the god of sleep).

That's not to discount the use of recreational or "self medicating" drugs among soldiers -- just that I don't think that can be used as an iron-clad example, without figuring out a way to be sure it doesn't refer to Morpheus.
          I do recall this dialouge, Hank; valid points still remaining as well. It would be nice to have with us a definite answer on the issue, the issue of Morpheus, however, at the present, we do not. So, for the time being, we may have to agree to disagree, that is if you feel the text has more hints of mythology about it than it does physical substance (morphine).

[...] addiction to various forms of opium was well known, before, during and after the war, and widely reported. Here are some comments published by the Massachusetts state Board of Health in 1872, concerning its use by veteran soldiers:

Quote:
          Has observed that veteran soldiers who contracted the habit in the army hospitals are still addicted to the use of opium.

Quote:
          Thinks that returned soldiers are rather prone to the habit, having contracted it in the army.

Quote:
          The opium habit frequently begins in the use of opium medicinally. Veteran soldiers, as a class, are addicted to it...
          I greatly appreciate you posting this information, Hank, as I find it incredibly interesting; one, for the obvious reason that I am a Massachusetts resident and two, it serves as actual documentation, from the state no less, listing grievances, or rather, clearly stating issue with the infamous "Soldier's Disease" as it pertained to Civil War veterans.

Comment

Are we thinking of incorporating this into 'someones' impression?
            RJ Samp
            (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
            Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

I do recall this dialouge, Hank; valid points still remaining as well. It would be nice to have with us a definite answer on the issue, the issue of Morpheus, however, at the present, we do not. So, for the time being, we may have to agree to disagree, that is if you feel the text has more hints of mythology about it than it does physical substance (morphine).
              Unless the writer was making a joke about the arms of Morpheus and taking morphine, it seems to me that the arms of Morpheus is a more straightforward reading. But what would go a long way toward solving the question is being able to see the original handwriting. If it definitely ended in "ine," with no "s" involved, I'd definitely vote that he was referring to morphine and making a joke.

Hank Trent
              hanktrent@voyager.net
              Hank Trent

Comment

Unless the writer was making a joke about the arms of Morpheus and taking morphine, it seems to me that the arms of Morpheus is a more straightforward reading. But what would go a long way toward solving the question is being able to see the original handwriting. If it definitely ended in "ine," with no "s" involved, I'd definitely vote that he was referring to morphine and making a joke.
                That sounds about, right, Hank...now if we could only get our hands on the text.

Comment

when you're at home and no longer at work, please re-post the full measure of the quote you began, as I am curious as to what the paraphrasing left out.
                  Okie doke, back by popular demand:
                  Mar 21, 1862, Baltimore.....I'm glad to hear Bartram has given up tobacco. I remember him coming in to the store and saying, "Wal Charley lem'me see give me a paper of John Anderson." I smoked when I first came here but have given it up as a nuisance and have not used a pipe for 2 mos. Lots of toke weed is consumed here...
                  The above was from Charlies's Civil War, 1997, Thomas Publications, Gettysburg PA, pp.36-37.

Yeah, a good bit different than the way I *thought* I remembered it, but interesting nevertheless.
                  Tom Scoufalos
                  [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2165[/IMG]

"If you don't play with your toys, someone else will after you die." - Michael Schaffner, Chris Daley, and probably other people too...

Comment

This is such an interesting subject, and one that eludes solid answers. That's a great source Mr. Trent references. There's another quote shortly after the ones he cites, regarding opioid abuse: "Veteran soldiers, as a class, are addicted to it, and several cases have been observed among Italian hand-organists."
                    It could be that opium addicts weren't wide spread as a result of the war. It could also be that they were there in number and were procuring it from illegitimate no-questions-asked sources...drug dealers, so the pharmacists weren't seeing too much traffic for that reason. Stories abound of rank and file soldiers obtaining alcohol illegally during the war. Why would the same not be true of opium eaters?
                    I have read of a problem in New York City regarding men huffing ether from rags dipped in cans of the stuff. The reference was specifically to Civil War veterans. I regret that I don't have the source.
                    A couple of other thoughts regarding subjects touched on in this thread- "the arms of Morpheus" is a pretty common euphemism for sleep in this period. It transcends mythology to just plain overblown Victorian lingo. 'Toke' in the modern sense can be traced to Alice B. Toklas's 1954 autobiography where she included a recipe for hash brownies. It caused a sensation and 'toke' came from 'Toklas'. 'Toque' that Mr. Trent mentioned sounds plausible for the 19th century usage.
                    [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
                    [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
                    Independent Volunteers
                    [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Comment

Based on the following ads in newspapers (just a brief search), it seems the goods were readily available:

[MARSHALL] TEXAS REPUBLICAN, February 2, 1861, p. 2, c. 3

Fresh Drugs!

J. B. Lancaster & Co., are now receiving, direct from New Orleans, an additional supply of Fresh and Pure Drugs, Medicines, Paints, Oils, Fancy Goods, Perfumery, &c.
                      They keep constantly on hand all articles usually kept in their line, a few of which they would call special attention to, such as Paregoric, Laudanum, Castor, Sweet, Lard, Train, and Linseed Oils; Sulphur, Cayenne Pepper, Sulph. Quinine, Morphine, Strychnia; Salecine, Piperine, Blue Mass, Calomel, Ipecac, and Opium. The various preparations of Iron, Iodides, and Magnesia, and Extracts for Culinary, Toilet, and Medicinal purposes.

SOUTHERN CONFEDERACY [ATLANTA, GA], March 7, 1861, p. 3, c. 2
                      The Importation of Opium.--One of the curious facts revealed by the publication of Custom House tables is that there was imported into the country last year, three hundred thousand pounds of opium. Of this amount it is estimated, from reliable data, that not more than one tenth is used for medical purposes. The habit of eating opium is known to be spreading rapidly among lawyers, doctors, clergymen and literary men, and enormous quantities are used by the manufacturers of those poisonous liquids which are dealt out in drinks in the saloons and groceries that infest every city and village in the country.

THE SOUTHERN BANNER [ATHENS, GA], August 20, 1862, p. 3, c. 5
                      Just Received and for Sale,
                      Blue Stone, Quinine, Copperas; Morphine; Indigo; Castor Oil; Madder; Epsom Salts; Blacking; Soda; Prepared Chalk; Gum Camphor; Matches; Cinnamon; Toilet Soaps; Chloroform; Brushes; Snuff, &c., at R. M. Smith 8 Drug Store. No. 10 Broad street.
                      August 20.

Glenn Bramer
                      Glenn Bramer
                      Pvt, Company C

Comment

Working...
                      X