Federal Issue Buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Issue Buttons

During the civil war The most popular Federal buttons were Federal Eagle Buttons, There were two different types and I wanted to know the most popular here are some pics.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4087.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	228020 The one on the left has a the I in the shield Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4095.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	228021 And the one on the right doesnt. Which one was the most used???
    [B]Pvt. Jordan Coffey
    -37th Virginia Infantry-
    -Wampus Cats Mess-
    "Southen Guard Drum & Fife Corps"
    [/B]

Re: Federal Issue Buttons

The one with out the "I" in the shield was used most on Federal uniforms. The plain shield should have been used on all enlisted uniforms.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
    Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
    Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
    The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

He meant to say, the one with the "I" was used on officer's uniforms.

Dave Ward
      116th Pa.

Comment

The one on the Right (without the "I") was used on most uniforms........
        Kyle (Cuffie) Pretzl
        The Tater Mess

Comment

True if the Officer was in the Infantry.Artillermen would have had an "A' Cavalry "C' and Staff Officers the "muffin " style.There were varied State buttons etc.Try Alpert's book for a great reference.
          Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

Originally posted by coffey View Post
            During... The one on the left has a the I in the shield..... And the one on the right doesnt. Which one was the most used???
            He wants to know......Which one was the most used??

Originally posted by Sgt. Bill Tyrell View Post
            He meant to say, the one with the "I" was used on officer's uniforms.
            Dave,
            I didn't mean to say that. I left it off intentionally! He didn't ask that question! Stop puttin words in my lines!

All enlisted should have worn that button reguardless of branch. So there were literally millions of enlisted buttons used. There were exceptions on both sides of the occifer(hic)/enlisted button where one wore the other. CS also used the Federal eagle with and w/o branch letters. Another subject for another thread. He has to figure something out on his own! There was also "R" and "E" buttons.
            [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
            Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
            The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

anyone ever heard of eagle buttons sewn on upside down on confederate uniforms?
              V/R
              [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I have never heard of federal buttons sewn on upside down but I have heard of confederates using federal breast plates upside down.
                [B]Pvt. Jordan Coffey
                -37th Virginia Infantry-
                -Wampus Cats Mess-
                "Southen Guard Drum & Fife Corps"
                [/B]

Comment

Hi,

I my-self have read many things about CS Infantry soldier's using fedral service button's! I have also read of soldier's who would smash"""" the button's in!!! To take away from the over all fedral look (: Just like with the Fedral US Plate's, Smashing the face in to hide the US " and Converting the US to a CS !

SCAR.

Comment

The "E" button would have only been in the form of a letter and only for the confederate army, the federals had a whole different design for engineers.
                    Paul E Sparks
                    Handsome Company Mess

Comment

Originally posted by Secechsoldier View Post
                      Hi,

I my-self have read many things about CS Infantry soldier's using fedral service button's! I have also read of soldier's who would smash"""" the button's in!!! To take away from the over all fedral look (: Just like with the Fedral US Plate's, Smashing the face in to hide the US " and Converting the US to a CS !

SCAR.
                      I sure would like to know where you read that. Once you smash a button the hook becomes unusable.

As for wearing eagle buttons upside down, I have never read about that being done. All the evidence I have seen is that CS used eagle buttons were worn as intended with the eagle upright.
                      Jim Mayo
                      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by marylandreb View Post
                        The "E" button would have only been in the form of a letter and only for the confederate army, the federals had a whole different design for engineers.
                        The same button is still authorized for Officers and Warrant Officers of the Corps of Engineers BTW
                        Robert W. Hughes
                        Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
                        Thrasher Mess
                        Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
                        ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
                        Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
                        And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Bravo Mr. Mayo.
                          Buttons that WE consider Federal eagle buttons were THEN considered as "army buttons", almost a generic item.
                          Numerous enlisted and officer uniforms coats in private and museum collections that were worn by Confederates have the eagle button.
                          Steve Sullivan

Comment

I was incorrect about the "E" Officer button but was certain there were 5 differnt letters. I couldn't remember the last so I S.W.A.G.'d it; The last is a "D". All 5 are I, A, C, R, and D.
                            Thanks Mike

Comment

Mike: And don't forget the "V" for Voltiguers!!
                              Bob Williams
                              26th North Carolina Troops
                              Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
                              X