Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1858 Non-Regulation Haversack ?

Hi,

I have been doing some reading up on the 1858 Non-regulation "Gutta-Percha "Haversack, I have heard they were only issued to Militia Groups ? Does anyone know of this Haversack ever being issued into the Rank's of regular Infantry Units???

SCAR.

Re: 1858 Non-Regulation Haversack ?

PM Ross Lamareaux...I believe he knows a little something about rubberized or gutta percha haversacks. My apologies if I massacred the spelling of his surname...all I can say is, with a name like "Scoufalos", I totally understand...!

Yeah...I did get it wrong...it's spelt "Lamoreaux". D'oh...
    Last edited by RN_PAC; 10-09-2008, 09:35 AM. Reason: correction
    Tom Scoufalos
    [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2165[/IMG]

"If you don't play with your toys, someone else will after you die." - Michael Schaffner, Chris Daley, and probably other people too...

Comment

Hey,Thank's Much! I have read many things about the haversack, I even heard of troop's out west using old Oil-cloth Blankets and Rubber " Gutta Percha " ones to make haversack's! I have a fedral version of this haversack, has one button closer and a inner bag with a Contract Stamp on the inside flap! with a number 9"! I think there very neat, and they hold alot of stuff withthe inner-bag taken out! (:

SCAR.

Comment

Although a slightly different haversack here's a thread on rubberized haversacks.

I'd like to know more as well.
        Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
        Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
        5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

Hey Thank's For the post, I picked up a 1858 Fedral militia Version back about three years ago, and love it! I also have one a friend has made out of a Rubber Blanket, which is very nice(: I would like to find out were a person chould get a good ( Gutta-Percha ) Haversack,but no one makes them ?):

SCAR.

Comment

Hi,

I am not sure if you are interested, but there are severl pictures of contract and state issue haversacks that can be seen in EOG page 210-211. These were either made out of canvas or a combination of canvas and oilcloth. None of these haversacks follow the M1851 pattern in anyway, that I can see. From what I could find, these bags were issued to troops from Massachusetts, Ohio, Cinnecticut, and EOG does say that they were issued to several other western states. But it does not list the names of the "other states".

As for a person that would make a haversack for you, Don Smith of Trans-Mississippi might make one. But you would have to wait until Dec. when he begins taking a orders again. I hope this helps.

Andrew
            Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 10-09-2008, 06:03 PM. Reason: English
            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Thank's,(:

I have seen the one's in EOG " They all seem to be made of Oil-Cloth, Thank's for the tip about Don Smith, I will wait till Dec and ask him about it !

SCAR.

Comment

Working...
              X