Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabric for a vest

Hey boys,

I found this site online and it seemed to of had some very fine woo fabric, hand loomed I believe it was. I've never really worked with hand loomed wool so I'm wonderin what you boys think. Some pics ub de fabric are attached, thanks pards...
    Kyle (Cuffie) Pretzl
    The Tater Mess

Re: Fabric for a vest

I would personally go with the first one.Had a suddel darkness to it that would bring out the brightness of your other clothing.As Bob Ross said,"You need dark so the light has something to play on".He also said "You know what we need?A big ol' happy tree" but that's for another post...
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Do have a link to that site? I'm looking to make up a vest myself.
      Matt Lovejoy

Comment

Yes, please post a link to that site, looks like some very decent fabric....what other goodies do they have?
        Sean M. Lamb

[I]"Our Reg't is composed of Germans, Dutch-Americans, and Irish they being the majority and very hard set. Our company is composed of the same stock, we can not agree very well with the Irish."[/I]
        James A. Peifer
        Co. C 46th Penna. Vol. Inf.

Comment

Originally posted by tater_cuffie View Post
          Hey boys,

I found this site online and it seemed to of had some very fine woo fabric, hand loomed I believe it was.
          I would be interested in the link as well. I am a weaver and would be curious to see what they charge for it. From personal experience (16 hours just to warp my loom) the amount of work that goes into "truly" hand woven goods, I'm surprised if they can off such at less than $200 to $300 per yard.

On a side note. Working with hand wovens takes special care to handle and work with as they generally have a looser weave and frey easily.
          [FONT=Book Antiqua][/FONT][COLOR=Navy]Barb McCreary (also known as Bertie)
          Herbal Folk Healer, Weaver and Maker of Fine Lye Soap[/COLOR]
          [url]www.winstontown.com[/url]

Comment

All depends on the finishing methods used on the fabric, as well as fiber content. The first thing I do in working with handwovens is make a larger seam allowance, and double stitch any stress points.

Miz Bertie,--I had the occassion to meet the folks from Wilde Weavery a couple of weekends ago and 200 years back in time. True handwovens, sometimes with natural dyes, but with a working fulling mill to boot.

It tells you a lot about pricing that they will sell you a 'half blanket'. Full blankets in the $500 range. Matching tumpline and stroud are extra. :D
            Terre Hood Biederman
            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Mrs. Lawson
              The first thing I do in working with handwovens is make a larger seam allowance, and double stitch any stress points.
              Hi,

I totally agree. From the handwoven cloth, that I have used, it is very important to do give the garment large seam allowances. Otherwise you will have some problems with the garment holding together (I am saying this from experence with garment seams pulling out).

I too would go with the fabric farthest on the left, but that is just my opinion.

Andrew
              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Ok, thanks for every body who posted. Now knowing that this stuff might be fraud? ha ha does anybody have any other rescources for like a wool or cotton fabric that would make a good vest? thanks
                here's the link to that site.....
                Domain for Sale. SouthwestPa.com. Request Price. What Are the Advantages of a Super Premium .Com Domain? Increased Traffic. Search Engine Ranking. Brand Recognition. Immediate Presence. Higher Profits. Great Investment. #1 in Premium Domains. 300,000 of the World's Best .Com Domains.
                Kyle (Cuffie) Pretzl
                The Tater Mess

Comment

Originally posted by tater_cuffie View Post
                  Ok, thanks for every body who posted. Now knowing that this stuff might be fraud? ha ha does anybody have any other rescources for like a wool or cotton fabric that would make a good vest? thanks
                  here's the link to that site.....
                  http://www.southwestpa.com/fiberdoodles/fabrics.htm

There is absolutley nothing wrong with the fabrics you posted. Just be mindful of what you pay for. A true hand woven is very pricy. I personally like number 2. I have a particular like for plaids because of their artistic diversityand of course my herritage. Try a bias cut with it. Mrs. Clark got me hooked and I cant seem to quit. The lay of the fabric cannot be surpassed and the interest in texture is superb.
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua][/FONT][COLOR=Navy]Barb McCreary (also known as Bertie)
                  Herbal Folk Healer, Weaver and Maker of Fine Lye Soap[/COLOR]
                  [url]www.winstontown.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
                  X