Cool Smokers - and a coat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Smokers - and a coat question

Check out these Feds and their cool pipes. Its a great pic! (Its listed on HA, if'n you wanna buy it)

However, check out the private purchase blouse on the guy on the left...
    It doesn't quite look like a double breasted coat, but the button at the collar looks pretty far over to the right. What gives!? Any thoughts on this?
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Re: Cool Smokers - and a coat question

Hi,

I have seen two other coats that have the buttons really far to the right, like in the picture that you posted. One is a CS overcoat, worn by Pvt. J.O. McGehee of the 53rd Virginia Infantry. The coat can be seen on page 151 of EOG CS. The other is a Federal private purchase sack coat, that can be seen on page 152 of EOG US. I have also wondered why the buttons are like this, and would be very interested in learning why. Thanks

Andrew
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

....the button at the collar looks pretty far over to the right. What gives!? Any thoughts on this?
      To take up the slack of an ill fitting coat?

Lately I have had to move buttons the other way!:cry_smile
      Bill Lomas

[B][SIZE="4"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]E. J. Thomas Mercantile[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
      [FONT="Century Gothic"]P.O. Box 332
      Hatboro, PA 19040
      [URL="http://www.ejtmercantile.com"]www.ejtmercantile.com[/URL]
      [email]info@ejtmercantile.com[/email][/FONT]

Comment

Also, the jauntiness of their one-boot (or leggings?) blousing jobs! They're like modern day messenger-types!
        Jason C. Spellman
        Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Bill,

Notice that the collar fronts are evenly spaced...it was designed that way. I've seen coats like this from time to time, I think it's partly a stylistic choice, and possibly even makes the coat a bit more weather-proof in the front.

Best,

Dan
          Dan Wambaugh
          Wambaugh, White, & Company
          www.wwandcompany.com
          517-303-3609
          Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Dan,

Looking at the coat again, that definitely makes more sense than my guess. At any rate, very nice pic and thanks for posting it John!
            Bill Lomas

[B][SIZE="4"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]E. J. Thomas Mercantile[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
            [FONT="Century Gothic"]P.O. Box 332
            Hatboro, PA 19040
            [URL="http://www.ejtmercantile.com"]www.ejtmercantile.com[/URL]
            [email]info@ejtmercantile.com[/email][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Shockoe Hill Cats View Post
              Also, the jauntiness of their one-boot (or leggings?) blousing jobs! They're like modern day messenger-types!
              The description speculates that the boots may have been gifts and they have their trousers pulled up perhaps to show them to whoever gave them the boots. Interesting thought!
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

The coat beats me but this image kicks some major tail. thanks for sharin pard
                Kyle (Cuffie) Pretzl
                The Tater Mess

Comment

Originally posted by Shockoe Hill Cats View Post
                  Maybe they bloused their trousers to keep them from getting caught in the wagon wheel spokes :wink_smil

Another interesting feature is the guy on the right appears to have rolled the collar of his blouse towards the inside. I have seen this in other period photos as well with over shirts and blouses, I just love those little personal details.

thanks for sharing!

Regards
                  -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
                  93rd New York Coffee Cooler
                  [I]
                  "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
                  [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

Hi,

Here is another picture of a soldier wearing a sack coat with the buttons far to the right.
                    Attached Files
                    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Working...
                    X