Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Goggles

Folks,
    I was on Civil War Antique Shop when I came upon a very pair of googles.From the picture below,they are period.I'm just wondering if anyone has any info on them.Mainly,what are they suppose to do.Here is a link to the items being sold: http://www.civilwarantiqueshop.com/pi15.htm
    Sorry this is such a rushed post,but being tired can play an effect on spelling/grammar.
    Attached Files
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Re: Odd googles

I can tell you what they are, they are fireman's goggles for those who shovel the coal into the locomotive fire. The trick is to keep the soot and ash from sending sparks into the eyes. Makes sense if you're on a speeding railroad. A friend loaned us a pair, complete with box, I'll try and look into what the box says on the exterior.
    Mfr,
    Judith Peebles.
    No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
    [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

In all truth,the googles almost remind me of something that would be seen in the "Mad Max" Trilogy.I actually like them.
      Cullen Smith
      South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Awesome photo, thanks for posting it! Those goggles are very unique indeed, and have never seen anything like them being worn in a photo from this period. I have seen similar ones taken in photos of the later 19th and early 20th century, but never during the Civil War, this is great. It is also interesting to note the manner in which he is wearing his forage cap, it resembles a Shako.
        Sean M. Lamb

[I]"Our Reg't is composed of Germans, Dutch-Americans, and Irish they being the majority and very hard set. Our company is composed of the same stock, we can not agree very well with the Irish."[/I]
        James A. Peifer
        Co. C 46th Penna. Vol. Inf.

Comment

That guy looks pretty old.
          Frank Perkin

Comment

Re: Odd Goggles

Hi,

That is a really cool photo!!!!!!!! I have never seen anything like those before. Thanks for posting it.

Andrew
            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

We see a lot of these up here in Vermont from two sources. One, quarry protective glasses made for stoneworkers, and two any varient of "Halperin's, Smith's, James & Sons" et al safety glasses sold by Sear's, Ridgeway, and other hardware stores starting in 1901 through the late 1950's.

Sold on e-bay almost continuously along with the equally aprocraphal "sniper's glasses" these glasses to my knowlege have no known Civil War provenance. I wish they did since I bought two sets in early life. Alas!

SG Gunlock
              Vermont Third Vols "The Hemlocks"
              Vermont Second Vols - Champlain Valley Living Historians
              Sixth NY Art,

Comment

This is an image I owned for a short time. I have cropped the rest of it out, but it was a half plate ambrotype of 8- Confederates armed with Flintlock rifles.

I cropped the guying wearing, what is often termed as, artillery goggles.

John Walsh
                Near Fort Donelson
                Attached Files
                John Walsh

"Is a gentleman with a brostache invited to this party?''

Comment

I swear,they look like Road Warrior googles.I would like to see someone reproduce them.
                  Cullen Smith
                  South Union Guard

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of that photo...
                    J. Dylan Woodliff

Armory Guards
                    Snake Nation Disciples

"We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun. He is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected."- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I'm almost certain I have a pair of these at home in an old box. I'll see what mine say. I recall they are sheet metal that hold the dark lenses. If I can find them I'll see if I can add some more info here.
                      Matt Woodburn
                      Retired Big Bug
                      WIG/GHTI
                      Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                      "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

I wonder what the soldiers's intentions were wanting to wear those goggles when being photographed. "Aesthetic" reasons or showing pride in their pre-military profession?

Btw. they look pretty "steampunk" ...

Concerning the first photo and the soldier on the right wearing his forage cap like a tchako - maybe the cap was still quite new and did not have that "bummed" look yet.
                        Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
                        Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

Artillery goggles?
                          James Brenner

Comment

Working...
                          X