Federal Pre-1858 "tin drum" canteens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Pre-1858 "tin drum" canteens

I have seen the term "tin drum" used to describe both Federal and more often the CS canteens. Prior to the 1858 pattern canteens did the U. S. continue with the Mex War patterns? I have searched the AC but, can't seem to locate a specific discussion about the pre-war canteens. I am also trying to find out if the leather sling or the cotton webbed version would be more correct.

Orchard Hill use to offer the "early war" 1858 New York Depot canteen, they have suspended orders and with the demise of other sutlers, we don't have any approved vendors for these types of canteens that I can see. Does Mark Latham still make canteens?

I am looking for a recommended canteen for the pre-war Moultrie events, I am not sure if the early issue N. Y. Depot 1858's would have made it to them. Having information on other alternatives would be helpful.
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Re: Federal Pre-1858 "tin drum" canteens

Hi,

I Picked up a N.Y. Style 1858 Canteen from Orchard hill last year, so far it's done well!
    Hate that they suspended orders on them! ):

You can try Don Smith, he might be able to help you.

Last edited by Secechsoldier; 10-27-2008, 08:29 PM.

Comment

the "oblate spheroid" aka M1858 actually shows up with the 1857 equipment exchange to Denmark. So it is not a M1858 (Model numbers for most equipments are modern collector references BTW).

The Tin drum with the "US" was adopted in 1836 and there are two different size noted!

At Fort Chadbourne in Bronte, Texas, they have uncovered what looks like an embossed "US" in a circle style like the Mex War version BUT it appears to be half of an oblate spheroid style!!!!

As early as 1853 they army in Texas is still experimenting with Indian Rubber, Wood, and tin...and wool covered tin!!!

SO "Pre-war" canteens seem to be a very unusual and new area of research!

Chris Fischer
      Fort McKavett
      &
      F-Troop

Comment

Gribble,

Pick up a copy of Mike O'Donnell's long awaited and recently published U.S. Army & Militia Canteens: 1775-1910, as it spends about 90 pages on just what you ask. The canteen Chris mentions is included in a photograph on page 90.

This book is highly recommended, moderately priced, and adds greatly to the 1983 and 1990 editions. If you cannot find this book locally or online, contact Mike O'Donnell directly at:

mike@odonnellpublications.com

Plenty of useful canteen information for those times when a CS impression is appropriate, too. ;)
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Thanks Charles, I did see that book for sale on a sutler site, I will have to add it to my collection.
          Gregory Deese
          Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
          "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Thanks Charles,

I forgot to reference that book as I haven't bought one yet either! :-(

IS there any supporting evidence for an embossed US oblate spheroid??? I'd forgo paying my student loans to have a die made to stamp those out!

Chris Fischer
            Fort McKavett
            &
            F-Troop

Comment

Chris & Gribble,

Buy book. Open to page 90. Ouch! Did that smart?

Our first thoughts were probably along the lines of thinking this half was just the outer portion of a typical Mex War canteen, but the photo definitely shows otherwise. The real question, and one we might not ever find an answer to, was whether or not the canteen was embossed on both sides or just one....

Did I mention "buy the book?" Supporting research is a good thing. The book has plenty of drool-worthy images for us knuckle draggers, and Christmas is right around the corner!
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]
              [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Chucky,

Just wanted to MAKE SURE it was the spheriod we were talking about and not the standard "Mex-War" so :p

Guess I know what I am ordering when my paycheck deposits at 2PM...and not I need to find a machinist who will make the die cheap! LOL!

Chris Fischer
                Fort McKavett
                &
                F-Troop
                Last edited by FTrooper; 10-31-2008, 03:28 PM. Reason: I make more typos than a monkey of crack

Comment

Working...
                X