Gum bands (rubber bands)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gum bands (rubber bands)

I've done a search in the AC forum, and although I see a couple of posts which refer to "gum bands" (old term for rubber bands), there doesn't seem to be a discussion about the relative authenticity of using same in our portrayals of 1860s America. A little Internet research turns up the "fact" that what we call "rubber bands" were first developed in the 1840s in England (or Australia -- I've seen claims for both). That seems to provide enough time for this article to become known and used in America during the antebellum period. But, for all that I have read of the antebellum and CW periods, I cannot recollect any distinct period references to American usage of rubber bands or gum bands. Can someone toss me a clue here?
    Dan Munson
    Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
    5th Wisc./10th Va.

Re: Gum bands (rubber bands)

From 'India Rubber & Gutta Percha in the Civil War Era' by Mike Woshner, (page 257)

"Elastic bands for papers, letters, etc., inkstands with elastic bottle, writing tablets, book covers, erasing rubber in squares and bottles."

(Stationary articles listed by Thomas Hancock in his Personal Narrative, 1857.)

Also on page 257:

India-rubber was also extensively used for rubber bands and elastic parts of improved inkwells. One improved inkwell was created by merely placing a rubber band around an inkstand to hold pens when not in use, (U.S. Patent #33,160).

Hope this helps a little. (I can highly recommend this book to anyone who does not already own a copy.)

Kind regards.
    Jim Smith, Volunteer Co., (UK)

Comment

Very helpful, indeed! Thanks!

I wonder....does your source indicate whether the rubber bands of that time were typically vulcanized? My understanding is that vulcanizing natural rubber (at least in the process used in the mid-19th century) turned it to a black color.

Incidentally, there is an interesting time line of the development of commercial rubber uses, 1819-onward, at...

Dan Munson
      Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
      5th Wisc./10th Va.

Comment

The book doesn't state whether they were vulcanized, but on the next page (258) it mentions rubber bands in an entry from "Contingent Expenses of the War Department for 1864" from Philip & Solomons: 3 1/2 gross Rubber Bands @$9.80
        Ross L. Lamoreaux
        rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Munson View Post
          I wonder....does your source indicate whether the rubber bands of that time were typically vulcanized? My understanding is that vulcanizing natural rubber (at least in the process used in the mid-19th century) turned it to a black color.
          Do you have more info on that? The few times I've worked with modern natural rubber, it's been a kind of dull translucent color, even after being vulcanized with heat, and the typical black color is achieved by adding lamp black.

Hank Trent
          hanktrent@voyager.net
          Hank Trent

Comment

The addition of carbon black is indeed required to turn natural rubber a black color, then and now. The vulcanization is achieved through the addition of sulfur and the application of heat. As a present day worker in the rubber industry, I suspect that the use of unvulcanized natural rubber would have provided a most unsatisfactory rubber band, especially as compared to the modern product.

Mark Britton
            Auxilium meum a Domino

Comment

Well, there's nothing like commentary from folks who have actually worked with rubber manufacturing. Just from what I have read of present-day rubber band manufacture -- which appears to use something like a vulcanization process to cure the rubber after extrusion -- I would concur that vulcanization or something like it was needed in the mid-1800s to produce a usable rubber band. I have tried working with straight latex once or twice, and it can be pretty flimsy stuff.

I am not sure where I acquired the understanding that the (19th century?) vulcanizing turned natural rubber black, but there are a couple of references on the time line I cited earlier in this thread which -- unless I misread them -- seem to indicate that a blackening took place. The time line could, of course, be inaccurate in that respect. I defer to others with more practical experience on that point than I do.

Ultimately, of course, I was hoping to find an authentication for using one or another style of our modern rubber bands in the context of our hobby. My thanks to all who thus far contributed their knowledge on this point.
              Last edited by Dan Munson; 11-13-2008, 11:47 AM. Reason: Typo
              Dan Munson
              Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
              5th Wisc./10th Va.

Comment

Working...
              X