Canteen Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canteen Analysis

I went through the John Henry Kurtz collection on HA.com and cataloged all of the canteens into a Excel workbook. I then went through the 28 canteens marking whether they were smooth or ring, depot/contract, type of cover, type of sling, type of stopper attachment and the time frame. If an item was unknown I left it alone. I often put brown/gray as a cover color unless the auction specified. I did lump the two togather when I looked at the data. This is because I am no expert and did not want to make false assumptions on color. The end data/statistics are below.

Smooth Vs Ring
    Smooth - 20- 71.5%
    Ring- 8- 28.5%

Type of Cover
    Sky Blue- 5- 18.0%
    Dark Blue -1- 3.5%
    Brown/Gray-20- 71.5%
    Leather- 1- 3.5%
    None- 1- 3.5%

Type of Strap
    Cotton- 19- 68.0%
    Leather- 6- 21.5%
    Wool- 1- 3.5%
    Tarred Cotton-2- 7.0%

Stopper Attachment
    Chain- 13- 46.5%
    Twine- 6- 21.5%
    None- 1- 3.5%
    Not Specified-8- 28.5%

I attached the Excel book as a zip file (we will see if it works!) Since I am not a canteen expert I would love to gather more information and research. Anything you might be able to add in knowledge (such as depot, contract, ect.) I would be happy to put it in. If there are many updates I will repost it.
    Attached Files
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Re: Canteen Analysis

Out of the 28 canteens in the collection, how many are know to have been carried during the war?
    Brian Baird

Comment

Unfortunately, not many conclusions can be drawn from this since it is not a random sample in any way.

The collector may have preferred certain canteens over others, certain canteens may have been more readily available to him, perhaps he liked the NY chains more than twine, perhaps he liked filters. All it really tells us is that each of these canteen configurations existed. We don't even know if they are war-time configurations or something concocted for a collector. It is important not to draw too many inferences from this one collection of a mere handful of canteens.

That said, it is a very nice collection, the browsing of which is not unlike a visit to a good museum.
      Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
      1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
      Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

I actually think this good work. Not all of us are researchers, but I for one and glad to see people actually out gathering data. The work could be applied very simply to a samply of units if you could find requisitions and receipts, a sampling of museums with ID'd canteens, etc. Just need to clean up the data gathering a bit

Sure there was a start with one collection, but knowing this input can be spread to other facets of even expanded on the subject of canteens. The important part....document it well, so that when you turn the information over to someone else, your time and work are not lost.

I've too often gear or clothing made and "documented from an original piece" in a museum. What's to say that piece wasn't a one off? It may be absolutely authentic, but not PEC. It may have been chosen for the same reason as the sampling above. It was simply available and easy to see at a museum. The Simon Buckner pleated frock coat comes to mind. I've seen at least five of them reproduced.

Bravo on a great first effort.

Clay

Comment

Brian,
          I believe about 16 were given specific Civil War providence. Other descriptions were not as clear but hinted as war time use and some did not say at all.
          Here are some more stats:
          Two specify that the chain was added post war. In that case I left it blank or put twine as the description stated it had originally. Descriptions could have inaccuracies but I am not an expert and went with what was stated. If someone has evidence against anything stated in the descriptions I would love to hear it.
          Also, two had filters added to them.

I know this is not a scientific study but a small snapshot at canteens as a whole, very large, population. Yes, the results could be skewed by any number of factors. However, these are both true statements when it comes to any statistical analysis, polling, ect. I love to look at stats and find arguments for or against :) So, I anticipated Troy's response and thought about it myself.

Regardless, this analysis was fun to do and I believe interesting so I thought I would share. I'm not advocated that we all start bringing out the jack chains. Just that we take a deeper look into a compelling topic while we have the chance to easily view a decent quantity of the subject and see what we might be able to get out of it.
          Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
          Civil War Digital Digest
          Sally Port Mess

Comment

Here are a few more 1858s you can add to your spread sheet.

Angelfire on Lycos, established in 1995, is one of the leading personal publishing communities on the Web. Angelfire makes it easy for members to create their own blogs, web sites, get a web address (domain) and start publishing online.

and a couple more here.

Angelfire on Lycos, established in 1995, is one of the leading personal publishing communities on the Web. Angelfire makes it easy for members to create their own blogs, web sites, get a web address (domain) and start publishing online.
            Jim Mayo
            Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
            http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Hallo!

"...Not all of us are researchers..."

IMHO, that is only partially true.

While it is true that "we" are not all producers of researcher, "we" are all consumers of research.
              (Otherwise we would still be wearing and using clothing and gear of the level of research and documentation found during the Civil War Centennial.)

The value of research versus observation lies in the Validity and Reliability of the analysis, inferences, and inductions/deductions that the sample can support and defend.
              Understanding the limitations of assemblages, collections, and striving to reduce or eliminate the preconceived notions, already proven hypotheses,
              biases, agendae, and just plain wishful thinking helps to improve the Validity and Reliability of the conclusions drawn and the hypotheses proven or disproven.

Beyond the formal, professional, and scientific, there is a whole world of joy and fun in bringing more specimens to the forefront of our Collective Knowledge and where its Hinge Pin turns at any given moment or time.

Speaking simply, it is just cool to look at artifacts, relics, and antiques because it is cool to look at artifacts, relics, and antiques. And the more the better.

But, if one is "doing research" or presenting something as "researched," one needs to be careful that a small sample is not used to say more than the sample supports.
              A parallel can be found in the 18th century community with the replication of surviving longrifles. The surviving pool of longrifles tends to be the fancier, more expensive, guns of the wealthier or affluent who used them less brutally as everyday tools of the lower or working classes. As a result,
              reenactors tend to have way fancier rifles because of their greater Modern disposable income and the "reference base" of longrifles mkae sit look as though fine rifles were the norm not the Period exception when it comes to the masses.
              (And further complicated because of years collectors prizing the finer rather than the work horse pieces that managed to survive a hard life and were used up.)

Curt
              Former professional clinical and social researcher Mess
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Excellent job- thanks for posting and doing the leg work .
                Sincerely
                Bob Brewer
                Gaithersburg,MD
                Robert Brewer

Comment

I like the fact that someone looked into this. I live in Kennesaw Ga, and thru my travels and haunts, I have seen many more original canteens with a cork chain and brown covering, some wool an some Jean cloth. I represent CSA late war. Is on more specific to this time period, than the early war?

Good work
                  Sean Fallon
                  28th Ga. Vols

Comment

I feel this was a very valid observation...and that's what I believe the analyst's intention to be...that during the course of his research...he made some observations, and wanted to share them with the community.

I don't recall reading any results/conclusions...in fact the analyst even asked for addition research that he could add to his current observations.

Bully on taking the time to review features of the canteens in the Kurtz collection...a VERY Valid Observation.

Paul B.
                    Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                    (Loblolly Mess)
                    [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Working...
                    X