Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commutation Jacket Buttons

Hi,

Has anyone found a original picture/commutation jacket with hard rubber/ goodyear buttons? Thanks

Andrew
    Andrew Kasmar

Re: Commutation Jacket Buttons

While not exactly what you seek, two items linked to officers KIA, come to mind
    The Marr overcoat (MOC collection, 17th VA, killed on June 1, 1861) has rubber buttons on both the cape and closing the body of the coat (but gilt buttons connecting the cape to the body) and the Atkins' Columbus Depot (issue, not privately obtained) has such buttons, as well.
    Pat Brown

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

Andrew
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

The book Collecting the Confederacy has a CS cap with two rubber buttons on the chinstrap.

Also, I own a CDV of a young man wearing a shell jacket with what appear to be rubber buttons. No backmark or ID. Came from a photo album puchased from an estate sale in the Shenandoah Valley. CDV's with backmarks were all Shen Valley photographers. I cant swear its a Johnny, could be a cadet.
        [B]Mike Wilkins[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Slouch View Post

Also, I own a CDV of a young man wearing a shell jacket with what appear to be rubber buttons. No backmark or ID. Came from a photo album puchased from an estate sale in the Shenandoah Valley. CDV's with backmarks were all Shen Valley photographers. I cant swear its a Johnny, could be a cadet.
          Slouch,

I'd be particularly interested in the image you speak of....Please contact me:
          paulboulden[at]hotmail.com

Now with regards to rubber buttons on "Non-Descript" jackets of the Commutation Era/Period...I suppose it's possible, but since there are very few surviving jackets from this period it is very hard to say. As always, I suppose alot would depend on when/where the jacket originated from...

In response to the John Quincy Marr uniform;the MOC publication: A Catalog of Uniforms in the Collection of the Museum of the Confederacy p. 41, states the following:

Overcoat with half-cape:single breasted, 6 button front, greenish-gray wool and cotton twill cloth with no facings or piping, lighter weight green-gray wool and cotton cloth lining in the body, brown cotton sheeting with white and red patterns lining the sleeves; no insignia or sleeve braid, small black rubber buttons with backmark: GOODYEARS P = T./N.R.CO, 5 gilt oak leaf buttons under the collar, exterior pocket on right breast. Cape for overcoat is greenish-gray wool and cotton twill cloth, lining same as in coat, small black rubber buttons with backmark: NR.CO.IP=T.

Jacket:single breasted, 9 button front, greenish-gray wool and cotton twill cloth with no facings or piping, white cotton lining in body, white cotton sheeting lining sleeves; no insignia or sleeve braid, small silver ball buttons with no backmarks.

This is Marr's service uniform from the Warrenton Rifles, which became a company in the 17th Virginia Infantry Regiment. The first Confederate Officer to die in the war, Marr's jacket and overcoat both show the mark of the bullet that killed him at Fairfax Courthouse, Virginia, on June 1, 1861. Marr was a graduate of the Virginia Military Institute, a former VMI Math Professor, lawyer and public official in Faquier County.
          Keep in mind this uniform PREDATES the period of the Commutation System, as he was shot wearing this in June of 1861, and that this jacket would have been privately purchase by Marr. This also DEBUNKS the idea, that a forms of jeans cloth would not be used EARLY-WAR for overcoats, jackets,...etc. It's also interesting to note that Marr was wearing this overcoat in JUNE, and that his cape was either flipped back over his shoulders at the time he was shot, or was not being worn at the time of his death...as the bullet hole penetrating his overcoat and jacket does not appear on the cape.
          Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
          (Loblolly Mess)
          [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Hi,

Paul, thanks for the information.

Andrew
            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Andrew,
              The jacket wore by a Pvt. Thomas from the 25th VA Cav. has floral style hardrubber buttons.The jacket is held by the Lincoln Museum at Lincoln Memorial University.Luke Gilley may have more info on the jacket as he has spent a large amount of time looking over the coat.
              Also remember that a commutation jacket was made mostly before the depot systems had been set up.So if the only buttons on hand were hardrubber,then that might be what was used.
              Hope this helps.
              Cullen Smith
              South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Hi,

Thanks

Andrew
                Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Working...
                X