Soldier's electrical apparatus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldier's electrical apparatus

I was reading a soldier's diary, and he had an unusual hobby--doing scientific experiments. Samuel Melvin was a 19-year-old private in Co. K, First Massachusetts Heavy Artillery, and here's what he was spending his pay on while stationed in Washington:

Mar. 13 [1862].--Went to the city & got things for my electrical machine...

Mar. 27--Got marching orders, struck our tents and tore everything to pieces...
    But they're eventually sent to a barracks, and he's at it again:

April 17.--Got paid $24.00. Went to Arlington House and got an old battery.

April 19.--Went to Washington with G. D. Hayes & stopped over night. Bought an old battery from a dealer.

June 5.--Sent to Thomas Hall $22.09 for
    Key $3.00
    Spring Register 15.00
    2 Main Batteries 3.24
    1/2 lb. mercury .35
    Hall's book on Telegraphy .50
    ------
    $22.09
    Received the above all safe June 16 with the present of a nice book from Hall. Also the express bill, $1.00, which I sent the 18th.
    After being sent into battle, they return to winter quarters:
    March 23, 1863.--Sent to T. B. Peterson & Bro., Philadelphia, for "French without a Master."

Apr. 22.--Sent to Parsells for a Craig Microscope.

May 30.--Sent to Thomas Hall $18.70 for
    6 Groves Batteries $12.00
    Silliman's Chemistry 2.00
    Platers 1.00
    2 lbs. copper wire 2.50
    1 lb. mercury .70
    He noted in January 1864 that someone paid him 50 cents to repair a pistol and "this is the first money, other than my pay, that I have earned since I came for a soldier." But soon he was putting his electrical skill to practical use.

[Friday, January 22, 1864] Got some things for electroplating, and if I could get enough work I could make money like smoke. Set my battery up & gave the Sergt a shock... Studied Elect., Metallurgy, Science.

Monday, January 25, 1864.--Plated a chain for John Welsh, put on a good plate. I am going to send for a quart of gold solution to T. Hall, 13 Bromfield St. My battery works first rate. Plated a hook for P. Connors.

Wednesday, January 27, 1864.--...Sent by Handy to T. Hall for one quart gold solution...

Thursday, January 28, 1864.--...Nothing to eat but bread. Rather rough living, but I guess I can stand it.

Friday, January 29, 1864.--Plated Page's belt...

Monday, February 1, 1864.--First plated a chain for Wheeler, and then the butt of a pistol for the sutler. Am going to plate the barrel, too.

Tuesday, February 2, 1864... Worked all day trying to plate a pistol for the sutler; got all discouraged. Tried more than forty times, could not get it to go.

Wednesday, February 3, 1864.--Fussed all day with the sutler's pistol. It won't plate a bit. I never saw such a trial in my life...

Thursday, February 4, 1864... I worked all day on the pistol; no success. I am about distracted. Made two new solutions; no success. Broke the jar of one of my batteries, and thus things go. Hobbs can't make my things work.

Friday, February 5, 1864.--...Worked all day on the pistol, but it is no go yet. Don't know what I shall do with the plaguy thing.

Saturday, February 6, 1864.--Fussed with the pistol. Came to the sublime conclusion that the battery is not strong enough, so I will get some more acid and try that...

Monday, February 8, 1864.--Sent to the city for one lb. of nitric acid. Worked on the old pistol. Great signs of success. Set up three of my batteries and I guess it will go now. I never had such a torment in my life, and hope I never shall again. [Seeing as how he'll be captured in three months and die at Andersonville, I'm afraid his hope won't come true.]

Tuesday, February 9, 1864.--Finished the sutler's pistol. He paid me 75 cts. I had a heap of trouble with it, and poisoned my hand. It is pretty sore, but I am glad to get the job off my hands. Think I almost prefer the poison.
    He plates a few more things, and tries gold plating but can't get it to work. Later on...

Friday, March 25, 1864... Tried my revolving magnet.
    The diary is at http://books.google.com/books?id=KlI...77&output=html

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@voyager.net
    Last edited by Hank Trent; 12-02-2008, 09:33 AM. Reason: fix quote tags
    Hank Trent

Re: Soldier's electrical apparatus

Hank,

The Craig microscope appears to have been somewhat popular:

A database of US patents related to the microscope that issued during the period 1836 to 1915. This resource will be of interest to antique microscope collectors. Patents can be downloaded.

A database of US patents related to the microscope that issued during the period 1836 to 1915. This resource will be of interest to antique microscope collectors. Patents can be downloaded.

Quite a few other online references, too. Harper's Weekly has an 1863 advertisement listed.
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Hank,

I don't see how he had time for any of this, what with drilling 6 1/2 hours a day, 6 days a week.
      Joe Smotherman

Comment

Hank,

Thanks for the info....quite interesting.....not knowing all that much about electro plating it appears quite a bit of mercury was used based on his purchase of same and the fact he mentioned poisoning his hand.
        Marc Riddell
        1st Minnesota Co D
        2nd USSS Company C
        Potomac Legion

Comment

Very interesting reading. I was not aware that batteries were still in jars back then.

Thanks. :)
          Ron Mueller
          Illinois
          New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
          Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
          Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
          X