Yellowjackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellowjackets

Page 222 Mounting the First Nebraska, "Marching with the First Nebraska" a Civil War Diary by August Scherneckau

the 1st Nebraska Infantry became Mounted Rifles/cavalry beginning in November 1863.

"Friday November 6th [1863, in camp in St. Louis, Missouri] --Today the first cavalry equipment was handed out. The boys appear in the jackets with the yellow stripes. We also received the crossed sabers of the dragoons instead of the bugle, which the infantry wears on its hats.

(later on they receive sabers.....then revolvers......but August complains of the old muskets, cartridge boxes, et al while riding...)
    (there's also a great quote on most of the regiment of infantrymen not being superb riders.....truly transportation to the battlefield as opposed to light cavalry fighting from the saddle.)

RJ Samp
    RJ Samp
    (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
    Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Re: Yellowjackets

Check page 36 note 63: Company H was issued various weapons upon muster until 1863. Most were Springfield 1842 .69 cal plus various Prussian muskets in .69 and .71 caliber. Scherneckau had a rifled musketwhich was he fortunate to be issued in 1862. Had to search it down myself. Yes they were mounted after 1863 and further redeployed to mid Nebraska fending off Indian attacks. The 1st Nebraska H company as a whole spent most of the war in MO doing Provost duties. There was at least 1 company commanded by MG Thayer that did do battle at Shiloh. I believe before that they were involved at FT Donelson TN. Companies B and H out as skirmishers but recalled. The 1st Neb was brigaded under Lew Wallace's division. LtCol McCord commanded the regiment. This was the 1st engagement by the 1st Neb.
    I have given this last bit from the Historical Annual, National Guard of the State of Nebraska 1939, published 1938, Army and Navy Publishing Company, Baton Rouge, Louisianna.

Roger Brightwell
    1st Nebraska Volunteer Infantry
    roger@rbright.com

Comment

Working...
    X