Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Trouser Button Images

Folks,

I found these buttons in one of the ubiquitous antique store button jars a few months ago, and I believe them to be a complete set of federal trouser buttons. For what it is worth I figured I would post a few images of them here for everyone to take a look at. Feel free to save these for your files, and I look forward to hearing people's comments.

Best,

Dan

Dan Wambaugh
    Wambaugh, White, & Company
    www.wwandcompany.com
    517-303-3609
    Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Re: Federal Trouser Button Images

Good find Dan, I picked up some original suspender buttons still in the box at a flea market here in Knoxville for 5.00 as well as a good size bag of bone buttons for 1.00. I love finding stuff like that, thanks for posting those pics.
    John McClellan

Comment

Dan, it is necessary to cremate your hands a little, it is quite dry with the cold of the winter... And cut your nails... :) :) :)
      William Miconnet
      French Mess
      AES
      BGR & IPW Survivor
      Never ever give up!
      In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
      I believe!

Comment

lotion is for woman and children!
        John McClellan

Comment

William,

Ever try sewing with tiny nails? I use the tip of my left finger as a needle guide, the callous on it is incredibly thick. Now if I could only get feeling back in it... ;-)

Dan
          Dan Wambaugh
          Wambaugh, White, & Company
          www.wwandcompany.com
          517-303-3609
          Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Thanks for the pics Dan. Your reputation grows. John a little "man-scaping" is accepted these days.:wink_smil

Respectfully....
            Sean Collicott
            Your humble servant....
            Sean Collicott
            [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
            [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by lambrew View Post
              Thanks for the pics Dan. Your reputation grows. John a little "man-scaping" is accepted these days.:wink_smil
              "Man-scaping" you say? Oh, brother. :tounge_sm

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Wambaugh View Post
                William,

Ever try sewing with tiny nails? I use the tip of my left finger as a needle guide, the callous on it is incredibly thick. Now if I could only get feeling back in it... ;-)
                I've developed a habit of pushing the needle with the end of my middle finger while guiding it with thumb and forefinger. I have a number of fun little puncture wounds in my middle finger from the dull end of the needle getting shoved through my skin. Nothin' like suffering for your "art"!
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Great buttons. It's great when you get a find like this. However with all this talk about nail trimming, lotion and manscaping it re enforces the feelings of many that the wrong side won the war of Northern aggression. All I can say is...damn yankees !

Comment

William,

Dan

I have the same problem Dan, when I make, this says my productivity is not yours and my poor small hands have the time to repair between two sewing sessions :) but I see from time to time the hands of my friend "La Plume" great maker, her look like yours a lot, we see there the difference between those who make with the hands every day and those who as me are more often in their office, I have the horn at the end of my two indexes due to playing with the computer... :D:D:D
                    A good cream for baby's buttocks should save your hands quickly Dan :p
                    William Miconnet
                    French Mess
                    AES
                    BGR & IPW Survivor
                    Never ever give up!
                    I believe!

Comment

French MESS you can say that again......and yankee's should not cuss other yankee's Cinnaminson NJ.
                      John McClellan
                      Last edited by John McClellan; 12-12-2008, 04:41 PM.

Comment

William,

Dan
                        Tools of the trade for sure. :-) ~Gary
                        Gary Dombrowski
                        [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

This is Virginia's spouse posting.

I'm wondering about the intent of the third post urging Dan to "cremate" his hands. Are they really so unphotogenic that we want him to burn them to ashes? :)

Michael Mescher
                          Virginia Mescher
                          vmescher@vt.edu
                          http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

:) :) :) Yeap because the hands are already red same the steack :) :) :)
                            William Miconnet
                            French Mess
                            AES
                            BGR & IPW Survivor
                            Never ever give up!
                            I believe!

Comment

Dan,

Thanks for the pictures with the ruler: a great reference photo. I wish I could make the time to visit/peruse the local Antique shops and Flea Markets. Just don't get around to it.

Are those the black painted Stippled pewter buttons? And did you arrive at the conclusion that they were Civil War buttons from size and construction? (I realize this may sound elementary, however, I would like to improve my identification skills by having the basic knowledge as a foundation.)

And lets not go any further with recommended remedies for Dan's hands:
                              A good cream for baby's buttocks should save your hands quickly Dan.
                              Respectfully yours,
                              Cpl. Skip Korte
                              17th MO. Vol Inf.
                              Company G
                              Western Blues Mess

Comment

Working...
                              X