X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clothes From Home/Private Purchase

Originally posted by kevin View Post
    hello,
    I know its not quite on topic, but it was in the pics associated with this thread so, close enough. I'm wondering about the tin can w/ bail in the photo of the accoutrements. It looks like the lid goes over te outside of the container, more like an old lunch pail or "growler " that I've seen associated with the ninteenth century mine workers. Am I correct about this or do my eyes deceive me?
    Its a British imported mess tin with a painted cloth cover next to it, similiar to the one shown at this link -
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

"were one to use "clothes from home" in one's impression, make sure they "fit" as if they were made for you alone. This era saw the START of standard sizing of menswear, pre-war almost all of it was custom made to fit one person, and the folks at home and tailors used pre-war would know the Measurements (not sizes, measurements) of the person the garment is for. .."

Very very good point! That does need to be kept in mind.

Regards,
      Daniel Gidick

Comment

Hallo!

"Very very good point! That does need to be kept in mind."

Along with the "frame of reference" that someone was last working from.

Meaning, campaigning "life in the army" may have seen a lad lose (or gain) weight at
        different times.

;)

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

This comes from the Annual Message of Gov. Henry Watkins Allen, to the Legislature of the State of Louisiana, January, 1865

"I promised every lady in Louisiana a pair of cotton cards. This promise is nearly fulfilled. The cards will soon be delivered. There are to-day no fair hands in the State idle. All are busily engaged in making cloth, first for the soldiers in the field, then for themselves. The music of the spinning-wheel and loom is to be heard in every farm-house from early morn till dewy eve. It is a glorious sight and cheering to the patriot's heart, when the aged mother, with silvered locks, sits by the fire-side, lighted by the brightly blazing native pine, (candles being no longer in use,) her fair daughters assembled around her, some carding, some knitting, while others are engaged in that truly graceful task of spinning; all cheerful and all happy; though a tear may steal from the mother's eye, as she thinks of her dear boy far away, fighting the battles of his country on the banks of the James or the Tennessee. God bless the noble mothers of Louisiana!"

"In other lands there may be women equal to those of Louisiana, but I cannot believe it. Throughout the State, the ladies have not only clothed our own troops, but have given great assistance to other Confederate soldiers. Sewing societies, concerts, tableaux and banquets have all been brought into requisition; and many a brave soldier has reaped the fruits of these patriotic exertions. One venerable lady, seventy-seven years old, in the parish of DeSoto, has knit with her own hands, one hundred and twenty pairs of socks for Missouri soldiers. Good men tell us, and I believe it, that it is highly pleasing in the sight of the All-wise and ever just God, to see lovely woman strengthening the arms and ministering to the wants of brave men who are engaged in such a sacred cause as ours."
          Nic Clark
          2017 - 24 years in the hobby
          Proud co-founder of the Butcherknife Roughnecks

Comment

This quote is from the letters of Pvt. W.L. Faulkner, Co. I, 17th SCVI

I want to send my short coat home for you to make one by. Make it just like this one only about three inches longer. This one is too short. Make it out of woolen cloth if you please. Put mettle buttons on it if you have enough, if not I have to on the one I am wearing I can use. I do not like to bother you but the one I am wearing is nearly worn out.
            He mentions coats several times in his letters, and sends coats home at least twice. On this occasion he is sending a coat home and wants a longer version. He mentions the worn coat, so I do not know if this means that he has two. In other instances he is asking to have a coat made only to follow it up in another letter (or even the same letter) to not make a coat as he has drawn a new one. So, here we have an example of clothing from home with a military appearance, only slightly different. I do not know if Pvt. Faulkner actually received the coat, but this letter was dated 21 Feb, 64 and in Mar 64 he is sending home an unworn coat that was, presumably, recently drawn.
            [I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
            [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Comment

Also very interesting. I had not heard of sending things back home and having them re-worked or a new one made up in its stead. Interesting as well that several examples are soldiers from the Deep South (GA, SC). Speaks to the mail capabilities and how uniforms from home during the mid and late war was not unknown for Confederates. Thanks for all the interesting information that everyone shared.

Regards,
              Daniel Gidick

Comment

Speaking of sending coats home if your family is in the Deep South....several years ago I did a lot of reading in civilian accounts of Sherman's March to the Sea and Carolinas campaigns. One of the stories was of the family who had agreed to receive and store the company's greatcoats for the winter. They had them stored in an upstairs bedroom. Needless to say, having Union soldiers discover not one, not two but a whole lotta Confederate greatcoats (some of which might have be the oft mentioned Union greatcoats dyed with black walnut but still recognizable) wasn't a good idea. And, on the other hand, they felt strongly that the coats were a sacred trust, that their local guys would be needing them again, wherever they spent the next winter.

If memory serves, they somehow got them all up in the ceiling and plastered over them. It worked and they saved the coats.

I know this isn't great documentation, as I get a little time this spring will root around and see if I can get more specifics on it. I'm thinking that they probably didn't ship them by rail, but perhaps sent someone (perhaps a trusted servant with a cart?) back with the coats. And this might not have been the first winter they'd sent the coats home for safekeeping.

Hope that's helpful,
                Karin Timour
                Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
                Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
                Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

Brian or Dan,
                  Is it me or is all of the top garments sewn backwards...meaning, the closure is right over left instead of the more common left over right? Any info on that? Is there a chance that Speck was a south paw? I notice the trousers are not sewn in this mannor.
                  Luke Gilly
                  Breckinridge Greys
                  Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Gentlemen,
                    Would it be at all possible for someone to repost the pictures of Pvt. John Specks uniform and kit? I have just discovered this thread and that my G-G-Grandfather was in the same company as Pvt. Speck and I would very much like to see this uniform and kit. Thank you very much, Paul.

Paul Bennett
                    "In the heat of battle it ceases to be an idea for which we fight... or a flag. Rather... we fight for the man on our left and we fight for the man on our right... and when armies have scattered and when the empires fall away... all that remains is the memory
                    of those precious moments... we spent side by side."

Paul Bennett

Comment

Just my 2 cents:

One of my direct ancestors was at Vicksburg during the seige and wrote home to Slagle, Louisiana quite frequently (PVT Jeremiah Bass, 27th LA Infantry). In many of his letters, he asks his wife to make him a new pair of trousers, socks, and even and a jacket. Later letters, before he was killed, indicates that he was in receipt of them.

Brian
                      Brian Shajari
                      Tolerance Lodge 1165 AF&AM, Texas
                      Co. L, 1st Texas Volunteer Infantry Regiment Lone Star Rifles
                      Hawaii American Civil War Roundtable Group

Proud descendent of: PVT William B. Wales, Louisiana Crescent Regiment
                      and Pvt. James Groves, Jr., Co. K, 6th Louisiana Cavalry

Comment

Working...
                      X