Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artillery

Comrades!

After 15 years in the hobby, I was finally able to experience gun drill this past weekend at an event here in SC. For a variety of reasons, I'd resisted the opportunities to participate in this aspect of our hobby, but found being part of the team that served the gun to be particularly rewarding. I am especially grateful for the patience and forebearance of Keith Bartsch, Bruce Hoover, Paul Silva and Robert Holmes in guiding me through this process and learning my duties.

What are your thoughts on authentic artillery? My personal belief is that it is radically underrepresented in our part of the hobby as there are so few groups/guns.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.
    David Culberson
    The Rowdy Pards

Re: Artillery

Absolutely agree - and one image brings it all to mind...

At an event last year we campaigners were camping in the woods as usual and awaking early, I wondered out on a sea of canvas and walked by the gun line. 1.5 scale gunners of both genders just waking up, .75 scale guns, beaucoup wall tents and old twinky wrappings and assorted modern metal and plastic...

until I saw a solitary 6 lb field gun with 5 skinny gunners fast asleep under the gun with civilian blankets and original coverlets, etc covering them. Not a man was over 25 and they looked like any CS artillery crew from the real war...went searching for a period photographer immediately but was unsuccessful.

I only mention the above to establish an image of the ratio of authentic to not so authentic guns - decidedly in favor of the latter

another statement I heard that says it all...."I am too old and overweight to be infantry...guess there is always the artillery..."

it isn't a secondary or fall back impression...its the King of Battles.
    Last edited by DougCooper; 02-05-2004, 04:03 PM. Reason: grammar
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more Duke. Your experience resembles the one I had three weeks ago at Fort McAllister. I have also been doing this for many years, and for one reason or another never got turned on to the idea of participating with an artillery unit or learning their duties. Having done so, I agree that it truly does open one's eyes to another aspect of CW service, sorley under-represented in our circles. Now, who's gonna spring for a new 12 pounder? Whoever does has got themselves two new crewmen.
      [B][FONT=Georgia]Eric P. Emde[/FONT][/B]
      [URL="http://www.2ndmaryland.org"]www.2ndmaryland.org[/URL]

Comment

I agree Duke. Good authentic Art'y is sorely missing. I guess that it has to do with the capital outlay, the financial aspects, etc. It is a real shame too that there are quite a few really good guns out there with horrible crews.
        Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Comment

Originally posted by BarryDusel
          I agree Duke. Good authentic Art'y is sorely missing. I guess that it has to do with the capital outlay, the financial aspects, etc. It is a real shame too that there are quite a few really good guns out there with horrible crews.
          And you know, that was why I'd resisted participating; but I'd just got my CJ Daley artillery red-trimmed Tait jacket and pants and was wearing my Morgan kepi. I had the encouragement of some good pards in Comrades Bartsch and Hoover and just decided "what the heck!!" Bruce has a nice gun and limber. The fellers concentrate on quality impressions and accurate drill, just like my infantry pards. Its all the same ...just different.
          David Culberson
          The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Re: Artillery - the opposite problem

We have the opposite problem out here in Idaho..

We have 2 ORIGINAL Napoleons and we are about to mount an original CS Vicksburg made 6 lb field gun. Due to a lack of motivated, authentic gunners and an affordable transport system, they are vastly under-utilized. Thier presence at events in the Northwest could be a great boon to the long arm's presence.

I know some good realtors if you closet redlegs wanna move out here...sure could use your expertise!
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I am just curious. But how much does it cost to get involved with artillery? What do the expenses go to when starting...ect?
              Dane Utter
              Washington Guard

Comment

Re: Artillery - the opposite problem

Originally posted by DougCooper
                We have the opposite problem out here in Idaho..

We have 2 ORIGINAL Napoleons and we are about to mount an original CS Vicksburg made 6 lb field gun. Due to a lack of motivated, authentic gunners and an affordable transport system, they are vastly under-utilized. Thier presence at events in the Northwest could be a great boon to the long arm's presence.

I know some good realtors if you closet redlegs wanna move out here...sure could use your expertise!

Doug

Three words, Chicago Board or Trade!
                Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

When I finally win the lottery, I'm gonna buy at least 2 full ornance rifles, including caissons, and horses. Will probably have to buy the rigs to haul them around in too.

Comment

Originally posted by NY Pvt
                    I am just curious. But how much does it cost to get involved with artillery? What do the expenses go to when starting...ect?
                    A decent (e.g. full scale, properly cast tube that won't blow yer azz up when you load it) tube, carriage, and limber will run about $30,000. Accessories (rammer staffs, worms, lanyards, pendulum hausses, buckets, etc. usually not included. Then add in 6 horses, plus harness and upkeep, for mobility. You still only have half the section, sine you still need a caisson, limber, three spare ammo chests, six more horses, harness, and upkeep to haul your projos and powder.

That's before you start looking at your personal gear...

Tom
                    Tom Ezell

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Badgett
                      When I finally win the lottery, I'm gonna buy at least 2 full ornance rifles, including caissons, and horses. Will probably have to buy the rigs to haul them around in too.
                      Good luck. My luck doesn't seem to run that way, though; but since you mention the financial outlay, what approaches have others employed to acquire the gun, limber, etc to form an artillery unit and what steps have been taken from an organization standpoint to address issues such as ownership, transportation, powder and primer costs, maintenance & storage issues, etc?
                      David Culberson
                      The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Tom:

Throw in the Battery Wagon and Traveling Forge. How much then :). Then were talking. How much for the 125 various tools and supplies for an accurate Battery Wagon? You would have to win the lottery or marry Paris Hilton.
                        Gregory Deese
                        Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
                        "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

" You would have to win the lottery or marry Paris Hilton. "

For the good of the hobby I'm up for the Paris Hilton thing.

John Duffer
                          John Duffer
                          Independence Mess
                          MOOCOWS
                          WIG
                          "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Mr. Duffer,
                            I would personally like to thank you for saving the hobby by gettting hitched Ms. Hilton, your sacrifice shall one day truely save us all and you should be honored for taking part in such a non selfish act.

Thank you
                            Patrick Landrum
                            Independent Rifles

Comment

I've seen some organizations where an indiviual actually owns one (or several!) of the guns. How they can afford it, I have no idea...

In my group, we actually have a corporation separate from the reenactment side of things. The corporation actually owns the guns and common equipment and people can buy shares into the coporation. As far as transporting guns, we have a few people with vehicles large enough who are willing to do the job. They usually get reimbursed a certain amount for mileage / gas. It isn't a total reimbursement, but it does help cover the costs. We have annual dues that go towards the purchasing of powder, primers, etc. One of our members is experienced enough to understand the process for making primers, so he makes our primers and gets reimbured for the cost of supplies. One of our founding members has a nice pole barn that he donates space in to store the guns.

I guess it is just a nice cooperative effort. Everybody wants to see things succeed. Since the corporation owns the equipment, no one person really whines about "that's mine" kind of stuff. It is in everybody's best interest to work together. If something doesn't get done, you're not screwing just somebody else over, but yourself too. No guns, no "play." If an issue comes up that needs further resolution, then it comes down to a vote of the coporation shareholders.

As far as personal costs go, as long as you don't need to purchase a piece and all of it's associated equipment, then it can be less than the typical infantry. Primarily, there is no need to purchase a firearm and all of the necessary leathers that go with it. Of course, some of the other costs can be a little higher - mounted trousers and MSJ come to mind right off.
                              Matt Adair

Comment

Working...
                              X