Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steubenville depot sack coats

Paul,

Were the main seams and topstitching done by machine?

Thanks!
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

John,

Good question. Unfortunately, since I have not had the opportunity to examine this blouse, I can only go by the snapshots that I was sent. On close examination of the photos, it appears to me that the major body seams were hand-felled rather than machine topstitched.

Paul McKee
      Paul McKee

Comment

John,

I re-read your question and realized you weren't asking about machine-felling. Yes, As far as I can tell, all major seams and topstitching were done by machine. Only the buttonholes, felling and attachment of the sleeve lining appear to be hand-done. But again the same caveat: I have not examined this blouse in-hand.

Paul McKee
        Paul McKee

Comment

Originally posted by CompanyWag View Post
          John,

I re-read your question and realized you weren't asking about machine-felling. Yes, As far as I can tell, all major seams and topstitching were done by machine. Only the buttonholes, felling and attachment of the sleeve lining appear to be hand-done. But again the same caveat: I have not examined this blouse in-hand.
          Yep, that answered my question. Thank you!
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger
          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Brian,

I wish someone would let me know if there is a question! The coat at Montgomery County is a lined sack with no evidence of a manutacturer's stamp. The body lining is as I recall a 2/2 wool/linen union, blue and brown. The wool is full of slubs. Very much like overcoat linings. A really wonderful coat. I do have a pile of notes somewhere as my wife and I examined it in detail in the 90s. Kline couldn't do such a rough lining. Memory Scott? Coat linings yes! When did I last go to the bathroom, who knows???

Bill Brewster

Comment

Thank You Paul. That added a lot to the work and findings I had been working on. The depot was under the command of Captain Alexander Conn, and was considered a "Branch Depot" in the OR's. A branch was typically established at a point which the war had collected many destitute women of the families of refugees or widows of soldiers. Their employment in the manufacture of clothing was deemed better than accepting public charity. I know that Conn had agents that farmed work out of the depot to various workers in Jefferson County and surrounding areas in Ohio and the Northern Panhandle. The depot produced 13,931 Mounted and 51,300 footmen trousers and 13,652 Sack Coat, Lined. (OR) there is no mention of drawers, but their are reports of flannel drawers being made at the depot. There is very little information about the location of the depot during the war. Several speculate it stood in the block where the recreated Fort Steuben now stands.

I have a sample of the Acceptance Stamp for the coat in my research with a clear William Giles Inspector stamp for Font size and all, I will look to see if I can find it and post.
              Last edited by Canton Zouave; 11-26-2011, 02:57 AM. Reason: changed some info about Wm Giles
              Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
              Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
              Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Gents, thanks a lot for sharing the info, very informative.
                Brian, if you fever get more info I assume we all would be highly interested in them.
                Jan H.Berger
                Hornist

German Mess
                http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Todd,

Slightly off the subject, your description of the depot system seems to be right on. In my research of the St. Louis depot, it seems to have operated the same. Lot of newspaper articles about putting women and children to work at the St. Louis depot in the latter part of 1861 and protests against doing away with the system in in favor of large contracters.

John Pellarin

Comment

There are more details in the OR about Steubenville and Capt. Conn's work to contract out for manufacture of goods. The OR's mention that the Depot got much of its supplies and "KITS" from the three major depots, but mentions Schuylkil the most.
                    Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
                    Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
                    Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Thanks Bill!

Originally posted by William Brewster View Post
                      Brian,

I wish someone would let me know if there is a question! The coat at Montgomery County is a lined sack with no evidence of a manutacturer's stamp. The body lining is as I recall a 2/2 wool/linen union, blue and brown. The wool is full of slubs. Very much like overcoat linings. A really wonderful coat. I do have a pile of notes somewhere as my wife and I examined it in detail in the 90s. Kline couldn't do such a rough lining. Memory Scott? Coat linings yes! When did I last go to the bathroom, who knows???

Bill Brewster
                      Scott Cross
                      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

I know a decade has passed since this thread last breathed, but today I stumbled across a reference to this depot in QMD Meigs' report of Nov. 8, 1864 for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1864, on p. 886 of the ORs, Series III, Vol. 4: "There are several branch depots at which clothing is made up, the materials being supplied from the principal depots. These are at Alton, Ill., and Steubenville, Ohio."

That moves the possible appearance of this blouse back to July 1, 1863, the beginning of the fiscal year, or even earlier if this style is included in what counted as "lined" at Schuylkill before then.
                        Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Working...
                        X