Red Blankets in the Federal Army???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Red Blankets in the Federal Army???

Problems with the blanket link may be related to cookies or some other issue.

Slow way to get there:

Search page: http://collections.dva.state.wi.us/u...exe?request=ks

While on that page, search for "v1998.1.456" which is the catalog number of the blanket in question.
    Andy Ackeret
    A/C Staff
    Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

I have personally viewed a red Federal issued blanket in a private collection that was Id'd to an Ohio soldier.

Adam Dickerson
      Adam Dickerson

Comment

Originally posted by adamandnicole View Post
        I have personally viewed a red Federal issued blanket in a private collection that was Id'd to an Ohio soldier.

Adam Dickerson
        Adam was it entirely red or did it have stripes of some color?
        Jan H.Berger
        Hornist

German Mess
        http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

What do you suppose a "pair of blankets" is?
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Pair of blankets could simply be just that. Two blankets. I've seen other references to Double blankets in diaries. They were refrencing issued blankets. Makes you wonder if some were cut off the roll double length.
            Scott Sheets
            Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
            Dirty Shirts

Comment

The Woolrich Company of Pennsylvania provided 1000's of red wool blankets to PA troops during the American Civil War. I think you'll find most were issued during the 1862 call for 300,000 more troops. Woolrich reproduced them for a short time in the late 80's and early 90's. They might even still make them. 'Cept they have polyester fibers in them now. The Woolrich Website has some of the history and, I believe the plant has some originals on display at either their store or in the factory. It's been years since I've been through there.

Last edited by GrumpyDave; 12-07-2012, 11:10 AM. Reason: added the linky dinky do.
              [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
              Past President Potomac Legion
              Long time member Columbia Rifles
              Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

If I remember correctly, a pair of blankets was two blankets that came off the loom as one long blanket and then cut in half to make two.
                Tyler Underwood
                Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

I've been picking through Pennsylvania's "Reports of the Heads of Departments" a lot lately via Google Books. Here's the one for 1861: http://books.google.com/books?id=_Rz...page&q&f=false

I've already searched "blankets" and "red blankets", no luck on the latter. But you do see mention of "grey blankets" and one "(bad) blankets". THe opening letter from Gov. Curtin is great to get an idea of the state of preparedness (equipment, monies, etc) Pennsylvania was in from the beginning of the war until around November (fiscal year noted as Nov 30th).

I know, not much help to your search, but still a cool resource for any future research into the Commonwealth durin ghte Civil War.

Best,
                  [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

An example of a double blanket is visible draped over the tent.
                    Confederate camp near Pensacola, 1861. Probably the 9th Mississippi.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CSCampPensa1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	223616
                    James Permane,

15th U.S. Infantry/ 4th Fla. Vol. Inf'y

http://battleofolustee.org/

Comment

Here is the Illinois Reference.

"... There was probably 10,000 men in the camp, standing around the camp fires, with red three point Mackinaw blankets over their shoulders. We were alloted our share of cattle pens for quarters, and issued a red blanket each".

George E. Carrington, 11th Ill

Quote is from the Journal of Military Historians, Summer 1996 in an article by Ken Baumann titled, Some Observations of an Illinois Soldier on His Uniform and Equipage, 1861.

Mr. Baumenn had a note about the blankets as follows.

"Located thirty-four miles west of Sprinfield at Jacksonville, Illinois, was the firm of Joseph Capps & Sons. This company was one of the country's largest manufacturers of Indian trade blankets.. Though it is strictly conjecture, the author wonders if the State of Illinois purchased trade blankets for their first troops from this source. "
                      Scott Sheets
                      Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
                      Dirty Shirts

Comment

Adam,
                        Did you happen to take any notes on that blanket you checked out?
                        Michael Clarke
                        Liberty Rifles
                        True Blues
                        Black Hats

Comment

So we have red blankets - there's no argument there - but they still seem to be early war use. Going back to the original post about red blankets in paintings, I would still suggest that their appearance in war related paintings is more a matter of artistic license used to focus the viewer's attention on something in the painting and is not necessarily based on troops in later wartime being issued red blankets. The fact that the artist was a veteran doesn't necessarily keep him from using a technique to accomplish his goal. A good example of use of bright color I think is the panorama of the Battle of Chattanooga. There's a bunch of red in that painting and a look at it will point out all sorts of historical discrepancies in uniform and equipment which casts doubt on the historical authenticity of what one is viewing. But the use of red serves tobrighten the painting and lend a sense of excitement and urgency.
                          Michael Comer
                          one of the moderator guys

Comment

I didn't take any notes on the blanket at the time, but I spoke with the owner the other day. He says that it is of a fairly "standard size". It has brown end stripes and I a 2 line style US in the center. It also has the owner's name and regiment stenciled near the edge. Sorry for the weak description, it has been 6 months since I viewed it.

Adam Dickerson
                            Adam Dickerson

Comment

Adam, was there any info that you recall about when the blanket was issued? Early, mid or late war would be sufficient.
                              Michael Comer
                              one of the moderator guys

Comment

The blanket was issued in 1864 to the soldier. He was a member of a National Guard regiment.

Adam Dickerson
                                Adam Dickerson

Comment

Working...
                                X