Correct buttons for RDII for Longstreet Corp for Chickamauga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct buttons for RDII for Longstreet Corp for Chickamauga

I would like to use English script I buttons on the blue grey Richmond Depot jacket for Chickamauga. So far I have not found any original examples of RDII with those types of buttons on them. Then again, I am no button expert. There is a nice thread on this site showing wooden button on RDII. I would welcome any thoughts on this topic.

Dan Stewart
    WIG/Old Guard

Re: Correct buttons for RDII for Longstreet Corp for Chickamauga

I cannot make any comment of much use here, but there is always a possibility that the uniforms worn by Longstreets men were furnished by North Carolina. I have a copy of a telegram from Longstreet to Vance that reads "Your kind offer of clothing for our suffering troops is recd. We shall be most thankful for such clothing as you can share (Or spare)." Unfortunately it looks like the date is in 1864. In that regard, I am not sure if script I buttons were on them, but as NC was getting both the blue-grey and royal blue cloth from England at the time, it would seem possible. You might do well by seeing what the relic hunters turn up in that area.
    Be aware that there are a few apparent RDIIIs out there that were made as RDIIs and had belt loops and straps removed.
    There is a jacket out there that looks to have script As on it...it may be on this helpful link...http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ight=blue-gray
    David Stone

Comment

Also, though it was worn by an officer, here is a possible RDII with script I buttons - but I do see mention of a certain dealer who I do not place absolute trust in...

Last edited by fahnenschmied; 12-22-2012, 12:04 PM.
      David Stone

Comment

Hmn..I cant seem to properly delete a post I duplicated. I suspect there are more uniforms out there in museum collections, that are just neither properly identified or unseen, waiting to found, photographed and brought to the attention of hobbyists.
        Last edited by fahnenschmied; 12-22-2012, 12:10 PM.
        David Stone

Comment

The jacket of Capt. Edward Marsh (p.118 in the Confederate EOG) of the 4th North Carolina Infantry has script I buttons on it. It is of the 2nd Richmond Depot pattern.

It is also quite possible that if Longstreet's Corps did receive clothing from North Carolina, that they could have had script I buttons on them. North Carolina purchased its English cloth from the firm of Alexander Collie and Company, the same company that Peter Tait bought his cloth from. The state brought in 864 gross of buttons in June and August of 1863, aboard the blockade runner Advance. So, it is possible that North Carolina was buying script I buttons from England as well, even if they weren't from Alexander Collie and Company.

As far as other button options go, you could always use some of the larger wooden buttons discussed in the aforementioned thread. There is good photographic evidence for use of these on kersey RD II's. Other options include Federal eagle I or plain Federal eagle buttons which are found on many Richmond issue jackets, as well as block I buttons.
          Last edited by 27thNCdrummer; 12-22-2012, 07:39 PM.
          Andrew Turner
          Co.D 27th NCT
          Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Don't write off wooden buttons. Much under represented.

Comment

Thank you Andrew and David for the great information. I think it makes for a good case for script I buttons as well as others.

Dan Stewart

Comment

Charles Harris' "Civil War Relics of the Western Campaigns" illustrates on p. 161 a Script "I" button from Longstreet's camp at Ringold prior to the Battle of Chickamauga.
                Bob Williams
                26th North Carolina Troops
                Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

I have a nice set of Waterbury lined script I's for sale if you are interested. Nicely patinated
                  Last edited by ; 12-23-2012, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Jake Nott
                    4th VA CO A
                    Anchor Lodge #283
                    Valley of Columbus 32°

Comment

Thanks for posting Jake! Great info!!
                      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

my pleasure, hope it helps.
                        Jake Nott
                        4th VA CO A
                        Anchor Lodge #283
                        Valley of Columbus 32°

Comment

Bob and Jake, that is great information. Thank you.

Dan Stewart

Comment

The article that Jake posted makes a great case for wooden buttons. I have some two hole buttons from MBS. Is there a maker for the Gibson wooden buttons?

Dan Stewart

Comment

Sir, English script "I" buttons were provided by S. Isaac Campbell & Co of London in their millions. I have just looked at my notes and found this that I wrote on the SIC&Co steamer Justitia:

"The Justitia would arrive safely in December 1862, on board, as well as a huge shipment of other war materiel she carried an astonishing 403,200 large brass S. Isaac Campbell & Co marked buttons for the infantry, cavalry and artillery in just that one shipment."

I have one in my collection which has the "S ISAACS CAMPBELL & CO/71 JERMYN ST/LONDON" backmark. (All SIC buttons were marked ISAACS and not ISAAC)
                              Other huge shipments of script "I" buttons would take place during 1861 to 63. Other buttons that are overlooked are the general service "CSA" type. SIC&Co also provided huge numbers of these too, but I have yet to discover one with the SIC backmark.

Dave Burt
                              David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Working...
                              X