Defarbing the "peace flask"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defarbing the "peace flask"

Has anyone tackled Defarbing the repro peace flasks? With the modern spout being so different a complete new head might be easier than just fixing the spout issue.

A secondary question: Is the S&S firearms M1841 shot pouch even remotely correct?

Thanks

Fred Lucas
    Fred Lucas

Member, Company of Military Historians, Filson Historical Society & American Historical Association

Re: Defarbing the "peace flask"

Hallo!

No. Beyond my skill level.

IMHO.. IF one had the skills and tools, in THEORY one could remake the top from sheet brass, forge a proper spring mechanism, and then lathe turn broass tubing to make the sliding spout with the settings cut out with jeweler's saw and jeweler's files.

I cannot see enough in S & S's images to say, and I have never seen or handled an original other than in photographs either from on-line auction houses or worse yet grainy old B & W in reference books. Aside from the "rough" workmanship, and seemingly too deep, I am not seeing the side gussets of the original in the S & S repro.

I believe, suspect, the leather here to be repro, the flask original:

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Re: Defarbing the "peace flask"

Fred, I cant speak about the flask but as for the pouch, I'm with Curt on not seeing the side gussets in the images of the S & S pouch. I did buy one a couple of years back from another maker that I carried at Shiloh this year which does have the side gussets. As an aside, I did see an original 1839 rifleman's pouch and peace flask set at the Mansfield show this spring but my wife gave me the evil eye when I started looking closely at it.
      Scott McGowan,
      35th OVI, Co. G
      Co. A, 1st Bat. 19th US Inf
      Past Master,
      Lebanon Lodge #26, F&AM

Comment

Working...
      X