Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White buff leather.

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this has been covered before, but i did a search and it rendered no relevant results. What are the rules in regard to wearing white leather accoutrements in the civil war? I have heard some say it's an early war thing, while others wore them throughout the war. Which pieces were white? Cartridge box sling, waist belt and bayonet sling? Was it a federal or confederate practice? So many questions remain unanswered. I have gotten into leather work somewhat recently and would love to try my hand at making some of the items, but first I'd like to know what they are used for.

Thank you very much

Kurt Berntsen.
    Kurt Berntsen

Re: White buff leather.

As with most things, it depends on the unit. There's no general rule. It would be correct if you were doing, say, U.S. Marines, the 7th NY Militia on parade, or Confederate with some imported accouterments...are you? Beyond specific examples, it's not a piece of the "PEC" (Plain, Everyday, Common) impression. Blackened buff, or belts/slings that were originally buff but blackened (either because they had already been made white prior to the 1851 regulations stipulating black or were newly made and dyed black from the beginning) is a good early war Federal option. Again, though, the U.S. regs call for black. You'll find individual exceptions, of course.
    Marc A. Hermann
    Liberty Rifles.
    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

In 1864 the U.S. Army went back to black buff for some of their leather, sabre belts especially. This particular accoutrement is differentiated most easily from earlier production by the addition of reenforcing rivets.
      David Fox

Comment

Are there any references to known confederate use? Kurt Berntsen
        Kurt Berntsen

Comment

Kurt,

Have you tried doing a search on the site for "white buff leather?" You will find a ton of hits on the topic.

regards,
          Mark
          J. Mark Choate
          7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

There is documentation for the CS cavalry use of British white buff cavalry belts like the one pictured in EOG on page 206/207. I am not sure of numbers or how common compared to other belts, but they were certainly in use. I think the bigger question is getting the correct white buff leather. Like so many problems in today's world in trying to recreate some thing from the CW is finding the correct material. It might be great for your impression, but finding the correct stuff might be a challenge. I had a great conversation about white buff leather with Nick Duvall at an event this past season and the challenge in finding the correct stuff.
            Rob Bruno
            1st MD Cav
            http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

The south did import buff leather. It has been missed by most since the name was listed as buffalo (from what I remember) a period mistake on buff leather. This comes from the original definition of buffalo.
              Buffalo: (Webster’s 1828 dictionary) [L. bubalus.] The Bubalus, a species of the bovine genus, originally from India, but now found in most of the warmer countries of the Eastern Continent. It is larger and less docile than the common ox, and is fond of marshy places and rivers. The name is also applied to wild oxen in general, and particularly to the Bison of North America.

This came in through Wilmington and can be found on the manifest. What was made from the leather is unknown but I believe it was sent to Richmond. It has been a while since I read through the manifest and I have misplaced my notes as always but this is what I remember.

When I say “buff” I mean whitened buff. After the late 1700’s the term whitened was dropped but implied.

For more information on buff leather such as the origin of the name and other odd facts the article will be printed in the CMH Journal.

David Jarnagin
              Last edited by David Jarnagin; 01-18-2013, 11:41 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Working...
              X