federal vests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• federal vests

I searched for this but did not find what I was looking for. What type of vest would be correct for an enlisted federal soldier? Does it have to be blue or can it be one sent from home? Thank you.

Nathan Collins
    Nathanial Collins
    1st New York Volunteer Engineer Regiment
    Blue Grass Mess

Re: federal vests

Remember, Federal enlisted soldiers were not issued vests, so all would have to be privately purchased or sent from home. If you take a bit of time and scan the Library of Congress Civil War Photo collection here:
    http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/cwp/ you'll see many examples of Federal soldiers wearing vests. In my own personal observations, the overwhelming number of Federal enlistedmen wearing vests appear to wearing a military style vest. That is-- presumably dark or sky blue wool with brass buttons. There were probably some civilian style vests worn, but the photographic evidence-- at any rate-- seems to show many military-style vests for enlisted men. When you get into photos of clerks, or the often used Trimming Shop photo, you'll see more civilian style vests.

Here are some examples:
    [Fort Burnham, Va. (the former Confederate Fort Harrison). Federal soldiers in front of bomb-proof headquarters

Petersburg, Virginia (vicinity). Group of 13th New York heavy Artillery. Winter camp
    Two guys to right of tree in foreground

Quartermaster's mechanics, 1st Division, 9th Army Corps in front of Petersburg, Va., August, 1864
    Few vests in this one, some military-style and another civilian style

These are just a few quick examples I pulled from the LOC. There are many more.

Here are two examples from the Historical Image Bank

and another:

Hope this helps,
    Last edited by NYCivilWar; 01-30-2013, 09:02 AM.
    Respectfully,
    -Kyle M. Stetz
    Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Comment

Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. I am in Afghanistan and didn't have my books near me.

Nathan Collins
      Nathanial Collins
      1st New York Volunteer Engineer Regiment
      Blue Grass Mess

Comment

Take care of yourself Nathan and THANK YOU.
        Mike McGee
        Cure All Mess ~ Hard Case Boys
        Co A, 4th Tennessee Infantry Regiment "The Shelby Greys"
        Co C, 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry

Pvt. Francis "Frank" Agee- G, G, G-Uncle
        Co H, 22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment
        KIA Battle of Shiloh-April 6, 1862
        Resting in Peace on that Hallowed Ground

Comment

Boy, try to get away with chevrons sewn to the breast now.
          Mike McGee
          Cure All Mess ~ Hard Case Boys
          Co A, 4th Tennessee Infantry Regiment "The Shelby Greys"
          Co C, 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry

Pvt. Francis "Frank" Agee- G, G, G-Uncle
          Co H, 22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment
          KIA Battle of Shiloh-April 6, 1862
          Resting in Peace on that Hallowed Ground

Comment

Any idea how long vests lasted before they were worn out? I am working on the 4th Michigan Infantry who were issued gray vests as part of their State issued gray uniforms. Although the gray uniforms wore out quickly and were replaced, I was wondering if the gray vests were discarded at the same time as the gray roundabouts and gray trousers. Because they had not been issued overcoats they may have needed the vests for warmth. I do know that they continued to wear their gray caps for a short time. Thank you for your consideration of this question.

William T. Carr
            Company of Military Historians
            William Carr

Comment

Working...
            X