"Wytheville Depot" Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Wytheville Depot" Jacket

A while back,a picture was posted of a supposed Wytheville Depot jacket that was reportedly held at the Atlanta History Center. No further information was available, so it remained a mystery as to whether the AHS had it or not or any of the provenance of the jacket. After months of trying to figure out the story, i may have gotten some answers (but probably more questions).

The AHS does indeed have the jacket and it came with documentation that it was captured in a raid on the Dublin,Va. supply depot in May,1864 by an officer in the 14th WV (Federal) Infantry. I looked on a map site and Dublin is about 28 miles from Wytheville.

Now comes the conjecture....the jacket appears to be classic Richmond "type II" in all respects except for the button count (6) and slash pocket on the left breast. There was a picture posted a while back of a soldier from the 65th Va.that appeared to have the exact same style of jacket on. The 65th operated in the southwestern part of Va. and thus it could be asserted that they would potentially be supplied from the Wytheville or Dublin depot. I feel that it is most likely that this depot simply made the standard "Richmond" style jackets, but for some reason,decided to decrease the more common amount of buttonholes and add the slash pocket. Very similar to Federal contractor variations on everything from sack coats to cartridge boxes. Does this mean that we have a whole new "Wytheville Depot Jacket"....I don't think so. I do feel, however, from the limited examples available, that there is compelling evidence that there may be a "Wytheville (or Dublin) Style" Richmond jacket. It seems entirely plausible to me that this style of jacket could have been the closest thing to a standard jacket that West Virginia Confederates had in the mid war period.

I know that not everyone will agree with my assertions and I welcome discussion on this little known variant of Confederate clothing.

Adam Dickerson
    Adam Dickerson

Re: "Wytheville Depot" Jacket

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	798.6 KB
ID:	223858
    I've viewed this jacket many times. It belonged to a southwestern va soldier who served in the ANV and was wounded at 2nd battle of Winchester I believe. I haven't seen the Wytheville jacket but by your description it sounds similar to this one (however this one has no epaulettes nor belt loops). Possibly a later version??
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Luke,
      Where is this jacket housed? The one from Atlanta has epaulettes,belt loops and Va. buttons on the front and epaulettes. I'll try to post pictures of it later.

Adam Dickerson
      Adam Dickerson

Comment

It is currently on display at the Lincoln Memorial Museum. It belonged to Timothy Ball of the 25th VA Cav...but it was formed from the 27th Batallion Partisan Rangers under Hodge and Grumble Jones that operated in east TN and SWVA. It is a 6 piece body and 2 piece sleeve with a cotton lining and looks a lot like an RD III, however it has the slash pocket and 6 buttons. I wondered if it was a variation of the RD III???? Do you know what years the Wytheville depot was in operation?
        Last edited by lukegilly13; 07-04-2013, 11:53 AM.
        Luke Gilly
        Breckinridge Greys
        Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Adam and Luke, thanks for posting all this great info! Any chance you share your pics of the jacket from the AHS Adam? Awesome info!!!
          [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
          Handsome Company Mess
          Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2005.200.M513.A-OverviewBack-300res-tif632850986573076163[1].jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	223865Click image for larger version

Name:	2005.200.M513.A-OverviewFront-300res-tif632841689049850401[1].jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	223866

Here you go.
            Adam Dickerson
            Adam Dickerson

Comment

Adam, did you get to look at the interior of the jacket? What's the lining look like? Any internal pockets? Also what's the deal with the cuffs? They look like they are pieced similar to the Garrett Gouge tait jacket... Am I seeing that correctly? Thanks for posting the pics!! Awesome...
              [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
              Handsome Company Mess
              Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

This jacket must have been picked up by that officer in the aftermath of the battle of Cloyds Mountain in May 64 the federals burned the depot in Dublin, to my knowledge the depot in Wytheville operated until wars end
                Gary Mitchell
                2nd Va. Cavalry Co. C
                Stuart's horse artillery

Comment

I have not gotten to examine the jacket in person yet. Not sure what the interior looks like. From what I could see in the pictures, the sleeves appeared to be pretty standard 2 piece sleeves, but I could be wrong. The jacket sure has similarities with the one posted by Luke.

Adam Dickerson
                  Adam Dickerson

Comment

At the following link, you can find a book that may be of interest re: the Wytheville Depot -- "Message of the Governor of Virginia"

http://books.google.com/books?id=FUw...gbs_navlinks_s

This book is text-searchable. Play around with Wytheville and "state line" and see what comes up.
                    Joe Knight

Armory Guards
                    Yocona Rip Raps
                    "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Joseph, thank you for posting that link, there's some very interesting information there!

Adam, looking at those photos I do see a strong resemblance to the Richmond Depot jackets. The patterning appears to be identical. One detail that immediately stood out to me is the lower line of top-stitching at the collar was executed UNDER the neckline seam instead of above it. I've only seen this detail in some surviving Federal blouses. I am very curious to see the inside of this coat and some of the finer details.
                      Brian White
                      [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                      [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                      [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

I was able to go to the Lincoln Memorial Museum a week ago to view the uniform that Luke posted a photo of, although I could only oogle it from in front of the glass display case. :cry_smile It's construction consists of a 6 button front, a 4 piece body with a 2 piece sleeve and a 2 piece collar with the left exterior slit pocket. It is made of a natural dyed cassimere cloth. It hasa faded to a warm, dark tannish-brown. It looks like some faded out logwood dyed cloth that I've seen from Tart or Wambaugh's cloth. The pants that are with the uniform are also made of the same cassimere in the so called "Richmond Depot" pattern with a belted back. While I'm no expert by far, I would venture to say that this uniform is more of a commutation style uniform and not something issued from a depot.

PS- From what I could make out, I saw no evidence of epaulettes or belt loops ever being on the coat.
                        Last edited by teufelhund; 07-16-2013, 04:06 PM.
                        ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

After looking at my pictures I agree with Marc on the coat I posted... It does indeed have a four piece body.
                          Luke Gilly
                          Breckinridge Greys
                          Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Luke and or Marc,

Does the jacket in the Lincoln Museum also have Virginia seal buttons on it?

Can't make them out in the picture.
                            Bryan Beard
                            Virginian

Comment

Bryan,
                              I tried to see what the buttons were, but they were so corroded and rotted that I could not make them out. They did not look like VA state seal buttons though.
                              ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

Working...
                              X